Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

News Tue 28..............

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 11:26 am
Post subject: News Tue 28..............Reply with quote

By Emma Quayle
January 28 2003
realfooty.com.au

Heath Scotland knows nothing if not the signs. And so when the Collingwood onballer felt a
familiar twinge of pain in his groin a few weeks back, he knew it was time to reel in his training program.

"It was that same feeling. I think it was just that our training had been so intense that I really started
to feel it," said Scotland, whose osteitis pubis battle is nearing its two-year anniversary. "I was sore for a
while but we just wound back my training to make sure it didn't flare again."

Now, things feel fine and, while Scotland will stick with his restricted program until the Wizard Cup starts,
and maybe even beyond then, he feels he is starting to gain more control over the complicated condition.

"It's been two years now and I still haven't shaken it properly, but I know a bit more about how to make sure
it doesn't get bad again. I have to keep icing it and making sure I get the right treatment," Scotland said.

"I have to look after it all the time because, if I get lazy, then I know it's going to flare up. It's something
I think I'm always going to have to be aware of, but at the same time, I still want to be able to train and do everything."

And, more particularly, do it at Collingwood. This time last pre-season, Scotland was not a reluctant Magpie,
but one who had nonetheless wrapped up a recent search for a new home during trade week in 2001.

Then, when he returned to begin this pre-season, as a grand final player who had gone a long way towards securing
a full-time senior spot, Scotland was out of contract and spoken of as a target for Richmond in the pre-season draft. Only at the end of November did a new, two-year Magpie deal come through.

"It was probably a bit unusual to be in the same situation again, but the circumstances were completely different.
At the end of 2001, I didn't really know where I stood at the club and whether it was going to be better for me
just to get out of here and try to go somewhere else," Scotland said.

"My future was all over the place then, but this time around, it was a different thing. We were a finals side and
we had played in a grand final, so there was no way that I ever wanted to go anywhere else last year.

"The contract took a while but I had no problem coming back. The club had agreed to a new contract and it took a
little while to fix a few things up but I didn't feel like there was any real hurry for me to get signed up."

What Scotland was concerned with, however, was getting a good start on the growing collection of players certain
to try and steal even the short time he spent in the middle last season. Shane Woewodin has come along, Mark McGough
looks as certain as any young player to improve and coach Mick Malthouse has already suggested draftees Luke Shackleton
and Bo Nixon are in strong positions for early senior games.

Despite his growth last season, Scotland still felt disappointed that he couldn't get off the bench more often; this year,
he knows it is again going to be a battle to hold his spot. "It's going to be hard, but I still have to remember that I probably didn't do as much as I wanted to do last year. There has to be a time when just to get a game and to get in the side isn't enough for you any more," he said.

"I didn't only want to be in the team last year, I wanted to be worth a bit more than that. I still want to do that,
I want to be a bit more permanent in the midfield rather than just a patch player coming off the bench.

"Personally, I want to try and step it up a lot more and think that, even though there is a lot of competition going for
those spots, I'm someone who can be really important to the team and help make it better."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pies stay patient
January 28, 2003
foxsports.news.com.au

COLLINGWOOD finds itself in a quandary as it approaches the knockout pre-season competition.

The Magpies are not trying to rush their preparation after, as 2002 grand finalists, starting
behind their rivals, including Carlton, their opening-round opponent in the Wizard Cup.

"We know we are about four weeks behind the majority of clubs and I think it is very dangerous
to try to make up four weeks in five," Magpies coach Mick Malthouse said at training yesterday.

"There are certainly going to be a couple of young blokes in consideration.

"I have always believed that this competition is there to win, but (also) it is there for experimentation.

"Some of the young players are really putting their hands up to play. If they show enough form, we will pick them.

"We have lost effectively 12 players from our list, which is probably one of the highest in the competition,
and that counts rookie players.

"That opens up all sorts of possibilities for players coming in the side. That's one of the joys of
seeing young players come into the system.

"I wouldn't discount any of the five players we picked up in the draft playing early."

The Wizard Cup draw would allow Collingwood to play all its games at Telstra Dome, and Malthouse is
aware of the benefits of playing at the stadium.

"The longer that we can stay in it, the more chance we have of playing in that stadium, which beats
going out in the middle of the day in the sun," he said. "So logic says we will be out to win it.

"But we also have to be very cautious that we don't get too carried away with getting ahead with
players who still need the work.

"We are looking at blokes like (Luke) Shackleton and (Bo) Nixon and so forth, whether they are
mentally ready by the first hitout.

"If we think they are, then they are going to be in line for a game. And blokes like (Guy) Richards
and (Rhyce) Shaw and (Richard) Cole, we would like to think that they are going to step up and show what they can do.

Malthouse said he was keen to promote the Magpies around Australia by playing "everywhere,
all over the place" should the Magpies be an early Wizard Cup casualty.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Malthouse looks for right mix in pre-season
By Emma Quayle
January 28 2003
realfooty.com.au

Composing an appropriately balanced side for next month's pre-season competition could prove a tricky task for Collingwood coach Mick Malthouse, as he weighs up which of his young players most deserve the first chance to play in the knockout series.

While Malthouse has always viewed the summer games as an extended opportunity to show supporters the players they might not previously have seen much of, he wants also to remember that the Magpies did not start pre-season training until more than a month after their first-round Wizard Cup opponent, Carlton, returned.

Blooding young players who are not "mentally" prepared for the experience is not something Malthouse wants to do, especially when more wins means playing more games at Telstra Dome.

"The longer we stay in the Wizard Cup, the more chance we have of playing in that stadium and it beats going out in the middle of the day in the sun.

"We'll be out to win it, but we also have to be cautious we don't get carried away with players who need work," Malthouse said. "Last year, because of injury, I think we were forced into playing players who weren't ready emotionally for the step up.

"That's a thing we've got to be very cautious of without getting tied up in not picking the side you want to pick.

"Four weeks away from playing, I'd like to go in with a balance of senior players, newer players and players who have had one or two turns but not stamped their authority.

"By the end of the four of five weeks, whichever way you look at it, we will have had four or five games and I'd like to think that anyone who is fit will have played a senior game for us by that stage."

The recruitment of Brownlow Medal-winning midfielder Shane Woewodin means Collingwood already has a capable replacement for departed forward Nick Davis, although Malthouse concedes the side will not have to find a new scoring source with Davis gone.

"I think Andrew Williams can play there. He's played some pretty good football on the half-forward flank. Nathan Buckley can go there, especially with Woewodin coming into the side," Malthouse said

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Magpies and Grand Prix rev-up together
collingwoodfc.com.au
2:23:00 PM Tue 28 January, 2003

With the Australian Open tennis over, Melbourne now moves rapidly towards its Grand Prix and footy seasons.

Combining both these sporting passions, Collingwood's Anthony Rocca, Paul Licuria, Heath Scotland and Josh Fraser, yesterday swapped their traditional black and white stripes to train in special guernseys featuring the chequered pattern synonymous with motor racing, especially Formula One.

In doing so, the Magpies highlighted Collingwood's association with Renault, which has a Formula One team that will be competing in the Foster's Australian Grand Prix at Albert Park on March 6-9.

All four self confessed petrol heads are looking forward to the upcoming Grand Prix and to checking out what the Renault team have to offer.

Renault's F1 drivers this year are Italian Jarno Trulli and Spaniard Fernando Alonso.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://magpiemad.magpies.net/
Black_White 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 11:50 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies not worried by slow start
28 January 2003 Herald Sun
By GEOFF POULTER

COLLINGWOOD finds itself in a quandary as it approaches the knockout pre-season competition.

The Magpies are not trying to rush their preparation after, as 2002 grand finalists, starting behind their rivals. That includes Carlton, their opening-round opponent in the Wizard Cup.

"We know we are about four weeks behind the majority of clubs and I think it is very dangerous to try to make up four weeks in five," Magpies coach Mick Malthouse said at training yesterday.

"There are certainly going to be a couple of young blokes in consideration.

"I have always believed that this competition is there to win, but (also) it is there for experimentation.

"Some of the young players are really putting their hands up to play. If they show enough form, we will pick them.

"We have lost effectively 12 players from our list, which is probably one of the highest in the competition, and that counts rookie players.

"That opens up all sorts of possibilities for players coming in the side. That's one of the joys of seeing young players come into the system.

"I wouldn't discount any of the five players we picked up in the draft playing early."

The Wizard Cup draw would allow Collingwood to play all its games at Telstra Dome, and Malthouse is aware of the benefits of playing at the stadium.

"The longer that we can stay in it, the more chance we have of playing in that stadium, which beats going out in the middle of the day in the sun," he said. "So logic says we will be out to win it.

"But we also have to be very cautious that we don't get too carried away with getting ahead with players who still need the work.

"We are looking at blokes like (Luke) Shackleton and (Bo) Nixon and so forth, whether they are mentally ready by the first hitout.

"If we think they are, then they are going to be in line for a game. And blokes like (Guy) Richards and (Rhyce) Shaw and (Richard) Cole, we would like to think that they are going to step up and show what they can do.

Malthouse said he was keen to promote the Magpies around Australia by playing "everywhere, all over the place" should the Magpies be an early Wizard Cup casualty

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Black_White 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 11:56 am

Pie Chris Tarrant and Hawk Joel Smith (inset)sported new hairdos at training yesterday. Fair chance the coaches' hair is standing on end

Pic: Colleen Petch
H/S 28/01/2002

Black_White 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 11:59 am

Ant promoting the Melb GP. Looks a bit overweight.!!
Pic: John Hart
H/S 28/01/2003

[This message has been edited by Black_White (edited 28 January 2003).]

Black_White 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:04 pm

What's happening at your club
26 January 2003 Sunday Herald Sun

The young brigade are capturing most attention after the team's well-earned break after the Grand Final.

Midfielder Mark McGough, still 18, and 19-year-old ruckman Guy Richards have bulked up and are two of the fittest players on the track.

Training is at 1.30pm Monday, Wednesday and Friday, at McHale Stadium.

The club's training camp on February 4-7 is in Sydney.

MarkT 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:22 pm

McGough has bulked up? he's going to be a pretty big 18 year old. Good to hear Richards has bulked up. I hope he plays all the pre season games and shows some promise. It would be pretty handy if he could hold down the ruck this year. Big ask, but there is a spot waiting to be grabbed and a premiership could be on the end of it if he improves the ruck to any extent.

MargOZ Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 7:32 am

Actually I think it's just that the photo doesn't do Pebbles justice - as I think he's looking pretty fit in this photo.

GO PIES!
Marg

Black_White 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 12:42 pm

Sorry Marg, was just my litlle joke about how awful the jumper was and how Pebbs looks like he may deliver anyday now!!

-Craig

carlabuckley_05 Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 3:19 pm

where did you get that pic of rocca and lica?...

carla

collingwood a la premiers 2003
bwphantom Virgo

It's Better to Burn Out Than to Fade Away

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 4:38 pm

Hey mike my thread was lodged at 11:54 am on 29th Jan. This one at 21:19 29th Jan. But you closed mine.

BOO HOO!!!!!

LOL just kidding m8

If your not bleeding Black and White, you don't truly support Collingwood!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
MargOZ Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 3:23 am

Actually I thought the same thing at first Craig and was a bit worried - but thankfully he's looking really fit which is a great sign for the season ahead!

The photo of Lica and Pebbles was just on the CFC site along with the story Carla. At the moment it's on the front page and also here: http://collingwoodfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=71835

GO PIES!
Marg

carlabuckley_05 Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 11:51 am

thank you

carla

collingwood a la premiers 2003
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: