Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

THE BEE GEES

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GO RUPERT 10 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 9:30 am
Post subject: THE BEE GEESReply with quote

WHATS EVERYONES OPINION OF THEM?
I MEAN LOVE EM OR HATE EM THEY HAVE BEEN SO SUCCESFUL OVER A NUMBER OF YEARS AND I THINK BARRY IS A COLLINGWOOD SUPPORTER.

Dr Alf Andrews Pisces

Fitzroy Victoria Bowling Club

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 7:33 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Tessa needs a history lesson ... so here goes.

75 and 80?????

Do you mean the years 1975 to 1980?

Did they really have a string of number one hits during that time?

Even more than the Beatles?

The Beatles broke up in 1970, so they weren't even around any more.

The Bee Gees had a bit of a purple patch in the late 1970s, thanks mainly to Saturday Night Fever. Some of the songs from that movie/album were big hits, certainly.

But the Bee Gees most successful period would have most certainly been the late 1960s, when they had hit song after hit song ... "Spick and Specks", "New York Mining Disaster", "Words", "I Started A Joke", "Massachusetts", "First Of May", "To Love Somebody", "World". During this period they were more prolific in their output than the Beatles, who were starting to rest on their laurels a bit, just putting out an album once a year.

And Tessa ... they didn't "scream" their harmonies ... they sang them ... beautifully. I guess growing up as brothers they would have got plenty of practice at singing together and would have developed an uncanny musical telepathy.

I loved the Bee Gees ... especially their early material. They were musical geniuses of the highest order. Great song-writers ... great singers.

Very sad about Maurice passing away. And with Maurice gone, I guess that's the end of the Bee Gees.

Miss_Lisey_Molloy Taurus

Keith Urban - CMA 2005 Entertainer Of The Year!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 4:39 am

I watched the history of the Bee Gees last nite with my mum coz some lady gave us the video and i never realised that they sung certain songs! I knew every single on they sang on the show but i never realised it was them.

Spick and Specs is on gold 104.3 right now!

Its very sad that Maurice is died, but he's up there with Andy now!

Yay eye of the tiger is on lol!
Love always, Alyssa xoxo

*~Jarrod Molloy's #1 Fan~* *~Jarrod 4 Copeland 2003!~*

My SoNg Of ThE wEeK

"But oh how I feel so real, Lying here with no-one near, Only you & you can't hear me when I say softly, slowly, Hold me closer tiny dancer, Count the headlights on the highway, Lay me down in sheets of linen, You had a busy day today"
*Tiny Dancer- Elton John*
One Of The Best Days Of My Life- December 17th, 2002! I love you Jarrod Molloy!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
molloymagic Aquarius

*Thanks 4 the great memorys Jarrod!**miss ya*

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 7:24 am

They were a great group witn songs you could sing along to!.

R.I.P Maurice.

Jarrod Molloy RULES!!!!
*2003:The beginning of molloy's injury free footy seasons*
*2002 Joint V.C*
creedymagpie Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 7:36 am

The Greatest Band ever, i believe that when you include the amount of Hits they have had themselves, the hits they have written for other people and the amount of times artists have covered them, i think they should be rated on par or even higher than The Beatles. I mean even Elvis covered them with 'Words'. I think with the way they have stayed popular with the way they have changed their music over 40 years (that includes their time in oz) is a complete credit to them. They are the only Artist to have 5 songs in the U.S. top 10 at the same time, neither Elvis or the Beatles can take that mantle, and they have always kept their great sense of humour and never thought they could do better as solo artists except when Robin went off the rails in the early 70's.

Im the same as you Alf i think that their Early stuff was the best, it was brilliant Soulfull music. My personal favourite songs were, 'Morning of my life' and 'First of may'.

Maurice will be missed greatly and hopefully Robin and Barry finish their current Album and do a world tour so everyone can see them for one last time, i think they owe it to their masses of fans and they owe it to Maurice.

R.I.P. MAURICE GIBB.

cpc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
Dr Alf Andrews Pisces

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 3:30 pm

Tess,

Holy hell. Looks like I'm the one who needed the history lesson. That's is an amazing run of hits. I really wasn't aware how many hits they had. Thanks for that ... and I stand corrected.

Mind you, I still prefer the early pre-disco stuff.
Trippy Pie Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 4:51 pm

Who the hell gives a rats fat clacker!! They have nothing to do with COLLINGWOOD. What did they really give back to the world. They made millions and really gave nothing back to the people that made them the gods they believed they were, ie ;third world debt or starvation. If they were a corparation and not just another pop group we would not really care, would we?

COLLINGWOOD RULES no one else matters!!!!!

creedymagpie Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 5:07 pm

Im sorry Trippy pie but you need a history lesson and you need a good kick up the bum! To start off with, in 1979 the single ' Too Much Heaven' reached number 1 in the UK and US and all the proceeds went to UNICEF they raised over $20,000,000 australian for UNICEF just for that song and have raised a lot more since so dont say they havent given anything back, also they have written and sung some of the most beautiful music in history that is giving enough back with just the music. What to you do for a crust? how much of that do you give away? Ok they have made a lot of money in their time but they dont snob their fans off and they are not drug dealers or heroin addicts, they have been good role models. To say they havent given anything back is discracful. Mate you obviously dont appriciate good music!!!!

ps. this topic is in GENERAL DISCUSSION so it doesnt have to be about Collingwood as such, go to Premier league soccer and tell me their is stuff about Collingwood there!!!

cpc
Trippy Pie Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 6:49 pm

Sorry creedy $20.000.000 find thatery hard to believe as I am sure that they would have been given Knighthoods, nay be made Lords and Barons. You say they made beautiful music I believe that style of music is on 3MP need I say more?
Get over he died no one lives forever.

COLLINGWOOD RULES no one else matters!!!!!

Dr Alf Andrews Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 9:57 am

I caught most of the Rage special. I didn't know it was on and just turned on Rage out of curiosity ... and there they were ... the Bee Gees ... in glorious black and white ... singing the stuff that made me a fan of theirs.

What a great concert. I loved the way they clowned around between songs too. Robin Gibb is a real character, I reckon. Definitely the Mr.Ultra Cool of the Gibb brothers. And his voice is just hauntingly beautiful.

Feel free to rattle off their early hits if you like, Tess.

Here's a few to get you started ... in fact, it's the track list from the album "Best Of The Bee Gees" which came out about 1970.

1.Holiday

2.I've Gotta Get A message To You

3.I Can't See Nobody

4.Words (I sing a passable version of this myself)

5.I Started A Joke (I sing this one OK too)

6.Spicks and Specks (doesn't appear on the CD version ... damn!)

7.First Of May

8.World

9.Massachusetts

10.To Love Somebody

11.Every Christian Lionhearted Man Will Show You (a personal favourite of mine)

12.New York Mining Disaster 1941 (the first Bee Gees song I ever heard ... I thought it was The Beatles when I heard it ... very similar vibe to "Eleanor Rigby")

**R.I.P MAURICE**
MarkT 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 8:52 am

Middle 'O' The Road. No thanks.

They did well in their field and all power to them. Not my cuppa tea I'm afraid.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: