Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Wizard Final ? (where)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scotty Russell 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 3:49 pm
Post subject: Wizard Final ? (where)Reply with quote

Rumours are that Adelaide will host final if they are successful against Roos due to a better crowd figure if held at AAMI Stadium.

afisher Sagittarius

Collingwood on the Great Wall near Simatai

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 3:56 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

It has yet to be decided

However this article gives the AFL's position on it at this stage

Recruits keep coming for Magpie Army
AAP
6:57:25 PM Tue 4 March, 2003

The Collingwood army is swelling to record proportions following the resurgence of the Magpies.

On the back of a grand final appearance last season and an unbeaten Wizard Cup campaign, the Pies' membership is up 8,000 on the corresponding time last year, with 19,500 supporters having already committed.

According to Collingwood chief executive Greg Swann, the Magpies are slightly in front of Essendon at this stage in the race to have the biggest membership base in Victoria.

"We budgeted for an increase to 35,000 this year, but support has been so overwhelming that we could get more than 38,000," Swann said.

Collingwood's increased rank-and-file support could produce another profit similar to last year's $1.56 million surplus, after the club initially forecast a lesser financial result due to the decreased capacity of the MCG.

Last year Collingwood attracted a record membership of 32,549, the third best of the Victorian clubs behind Essendon (35,219 and Hawthorn (33,319). No Victorian club has ever broken the 37,000 membership barrier.

The AFL's pre-season financial result is also likely to come in well above budget if Collingwood wins its way to the Wizard Cup grand final on Saturday week.

Last year the league lost $300,000 on its pre-season fixturing, but a new admission cost, successful local derbies and the success of Collingwood will return a healthy profit for the AFL despite a return to the knock-out system.

The MCG will not be available to host the pre-season grand final even if Collingwood is a participant.

And if the Magpies win Saturday night's semi-final against Geelong at Telstra Dome and Adelaide is successful in its semi-final, the AFL will not automatically play the grand final in Melbourne.

MCC secretary Stephen Gough ruled out the MCG, despite cricket winding up this weekend.

"We certainly haven't prepared for a football match and we might not even have the wickets out in time," Gough said.

The MCG has a reduced capacity of 70,000 because of ongoing construction works.

The AFL executive will this week weigh up arguments for the grand final to be played at either Telstra Dome or Adelaide's AAMI Stadium should the semi-finals be won by pre-post favourites Collingwood and the Crows, who play the Kangaroos.

The league has not yet formed an opinion on a grand final venue and will take into account the fact that Collingwood is yet to travel in the Wizard Cup whereas Adelaide played in Darwin last weekend.

Other factors include attendance potential and the fact that the Crows had to travel for the semifinals last year despite being higher ranked than opponent Richmond.

Telstra Dome boss Ian Collins expected a decision on the grand final venue on Saturday night.

"We'd love to have it, we could just keep selling tickets if Collingwood is involved," he said.

Swann said the Magpies "were well aware" they had yet to be inconvenienced by travelling interstate.

"We'll worry about it if we make it, we haven't looked that far ahead," Swann said.

dillo_09 Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 4:07 pm

The club released official figures aboiut 4 or 5 weeks ago stating our membership was already at 22,000 which was 8000 up on last year. How can it now be 19500??

I heard someone say 27000 was the current figure which could be last years 19500 to this stage PLUS the 8000.

If someone from the club reads this can they confirm the numbers please.

Black_White 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 4:22 pm

Figures quoted during half time break on Sunday night;

Collingwood; 27,000
Target; 35,000

Hawthorn; 15,800
Target; 35,000

-Craig

MissMagpie_20 Capricorn

BUCKS SIMPLY THE BEST!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 4:36 pm

Well if we beat Geelong and have to play Adelaide over there, it will be an absolute joke. I cant bloody afford to go to Adelaide but of course ill have to. God i hope the Roos win, if we do.

BROOKE'S TECHNO LYRICS ENCYCLOPAEDIA

"The night I laid my eyes on you. I felt everything around me move. Got nervous when you looked my way. But you knew all the words to say"

***RaPtUrE - IiO***
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Tony the magpie 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 4:41 pm

All very interesting, but isn't the point of this thread the venue for the wizz fizz cup GF, assuming the Pies make it past Geelong? If the AFL is concerned about playing the game in front of a half-packed stadium, then they shouldn't make Football Park the venue. Look at the qualifying final last year, when all those cash-strapped Port supporters stayed away in droves - same could happen again if we get to the GF. Leave the game in Melbourne AFL (unless the Pies lose on Saturday, in which case I won't give a tinker's cuss where they play the GF).

Scotty Russell 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 4:56 pm

Definitely agree Tony - if Pies win on Saturday, final should be at Colonial - 40,000 of the black and white there is far better than 25,000 at AAMI (more noise,more fanatics)

Madpies_Fan Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 5:10 pm

I will be so disappointed if the game is in Adelaide. I was looking forward to going, if the we got through. And it would be a asking a bit to much, if the Adelaide supporters would appreciate it.. Ha, they'll still find something to complain about I'm sure.

Bec
Go Pies!!
Dr Alf Andrews Pisces

Fitzroy Victoria Bowling Club

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:05 pm

Didn't think I'd ever find myself saying this (because I utterly despise them) ...

but go ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOS !

GO HARD OR GO HOME
Ph.D. thesis, "Football: the People's Game?" http://alf.magpies.net
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:50 pm

Well Collingwood AND Adelaide have to win yet.

I say bring back Waverly and play the final there! Ahh! The good old days! (walking distance )

"The Collingwood Magpies are not a football team, they are a way of life."

"THE GAME AIN'T OVER TIL SIMON SAYS"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: