Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

True story of a little boy

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eddieforprez 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 5:19 am
Post subject: True story of a little boyReply with quote

This is true. My son was in the childrens hospital 5 years ago after being diagnosed with diabetes. Its natural when this happens to feel devastated,however as i spent a few days in there i got to know the other kids in the ward. One boy who was 9 or 10 would cough and splutter badly at night and was not in a good way.I got to chat with him and found out he had cistic fibrosis and was not doing very well. I spoke to the nurses who said he would be lucky to see the year out.
I noticed a magpie photo and we got talking about the pies. I asked him if he had seen the 90 premiership video and he said no.
So a few days later i bought a copy in and we sat together in the tv room and watched it.He was full of questions about the players and how it felt to be there.It was probably the most moving couple of hours of my life. When my son was discharged my wife got in touch with the club and a few days later Tony Shaw ,Buckley and a few others dropped in and visited him.

A couple of months ago there was a story in the sunday age weekend magazine about parents coping with children they have lost thru illness. I kept looking at a photo trying to place the face, and my wife said thats him, the boy who passed away in 1998.Whenever i look at the video of the 1990 gf i still get a lump in my throat. 

Special Delivery 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 5:23 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff.

Walk with me through my valleys and you will sing with me on my mountain.
Kristin5 Taurus

Fiery Redhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 5:32 am

eddieforprez, your story sent a shiver down my spine! Very moving.

It brings up a good point though, about the great work most footballers do aside from just their football. It is a fairly common occurrence for many of them to visit people in hospital. And I know that a lot of people think that Nath is arrogant and up himself (well, opposition supporters think that! Grrrrrr!), but a friend of mine is a head nurse at Royal Childrens Hospital (in the cancer ward - heartbreaking stuff) and, although she is a fantatical St Kilda supporter (someone has to be, I guess!), she says that Nath is one of the best cos he's so friendly and really good with the kids.

"I'm sure people see me as a screaming redhead with a big pair of boobs, but I like to think I've got things to say." Geri Halliwell, former member of the Spice Girls
dimo 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 5:52 am

A very moving story...

It's good to see Collingwood reaches out in all areas within the community outside of footy..

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 5:57 am

Even the great man Eddie is one of those people who give up their time to visit sick kids. Eddie visited my sick cousin (who has now passed on, he had leukaemia) even though he wasn't a Pies supporter. I've got the hat that Eddie gave to my cousin with his signature.

JDF

"We've never quit, and we won't."
Madpies_Fan Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:08 am

Touching story. I think it is wonderful that the footballers visit those that are sick.. I know that it brightens their day, and that stays with them. It means so much to them to meet their hero's.

Bec
Go Pies!!
Black_White 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 11:53 am

Very heartbreaking story.
Can I remind everyone that the guys we all hurl abuse at every weekend, yes the other 15 teams players, also do their share of this type of stuff.
Our code is restricted to Australia so sometimes we need to look beyond our club loyalties and remember the important things in life. Family and friends.
Well done to the Pies players, and all AFL players, who take time out to fulfill the dreams of sick children.

-Craig

CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 4:07 pm

yer its good how the players do that, they see road accident victims too.

good that they can bring ppl who have had their lives shattered a little bit of happiness

TARKO TARKO MAN!
I WANT TO BE A TARKO MAN!
*Rach_luvs_Lonie* Aries

*~LiL bItTa CoUnTrY..LiL bItA mJ~*

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 3:57 am

Thats a truly moving story eddieforprez...its really good that they dropped in 2 c him, that would have made him very happy. thats really sad!
Luv Rach!!xoxox

*OHH THE RYAN LONIE OHH THE RYAN LONIE OHH THE RYAN LONIE AND THATS WOT ITS ALL ABOUT*

RyAn LoNiE Is SoOoOoOo HoT! I wAnNa mArRy HiM!
AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 6:34 am

And well done to you eddieforprez. Good to see some people care.

Go Pies!
eddieforprez 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 8:49 am

Thanks for the replies from all i suppose what we all may not realise is how consistant a thread footy is in our lives.To live with a passion for our great club shows that we are capable of passion committment and loyalty.Attributes like these are really what sets us apart from the other species on this planet(like carlton supporters!).

Interestingly i was not born and bred a magpie in fact coming from a family of bombers it took me 10 years to realise my calling! Early mornings watching the reserves or under 19's at vic park dominate my memory!

And after meeting eddie on Millioniare and despite promising some money if i won 1/4 million to buy us a centre half forward (only walked away with 16k) i realised he is genuine and as passionate about the pies as the rest of us.Anyway now we have Rocca i have kids and the education begins!

would you like fries with that?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: