Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Williamstown smash Essendon

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Williamstown Factor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dale61 

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 10:40 am
Post subject: Williamstown smash EssendonReply with quote

Scores from Williamstown v Essendon

Will: 4.5.29 11.8.74 19.11.125 25.18.168
Ess: 3.5.23 6.7.43 9.9.63 12.11.83

Goals: Anderson 3, Swan 3, Smoker 2, O'Bree 2, Cole 2, Lovett-Murray 2, Johnson 2, Pearce 2, Dooley 2, Fletcher, Podsiadly, Lloyd, Richards, Kinnear.

Best: Fletcher (yet again), Adkins, Johnson, O'Bree, Lovett-Murray, Smoker.

Shane O'Bree played his first game, and looks to overcome his hamstring strain. He sat out the first quarter, then had a run out of the centre, switching with Adrian Fletcher on the half forward line.

Ben Johnson had a blinder on the half back flank, and was well supported in the back half by Andrew Dimattina, Andrew "Wang" Hill, Rhyce Shaw, Christian Ryan and Williamstown stalwart, Troy West.

The forward line took some time to click, but Richard Cole was a star, as was Nathan Lovett-Murray, Paul Dooley (when not in the ruck), Craig Smoker and James Podsiadly, who again kicked the first goal from a snap shot.

However, it was out of the centre where Williamstown dominated. The ruck duel was even, but with the rotation of Adrian Fletcher, Damien Adkins, Brad Lloyd, Shane O'Bree, Paul Dooley and Guy Richards, the ball was taken from the centre with what seemed like consumate ease at most times.

Dane Swan made his first appearance in senior company and showed promise with a couple of goals, and Ben Kinnear was a major force in the second half.

Of the others, Donny DeAngelis was kept quiet, Clint Rippon made a few mistakes early which shot his confidence to pieces, Craig Anderson was again dangerous around goal and Matthew Pearce was given too much latitude and was a major link out of defence.

Williamstown were far too good on the day, and with the playing staff on hand, Collingwood has an excellent player depth and will only get better.

The great thing about Williamstown's great win is who will go into the 'senior' side next week? After Thursday's demolition of Essendon, how can anyone be dropped for the St. Kilda match?

Next Saturday, Williamstown host Springvale, so why not come along and support the future stars of the Collingwood Football Club.

"Racetracks are for racing, roads are for getting there."

[This message has been edited by Dale61 (edited 27 April 2002).]
ramjet21 Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 10:50 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

just a quick one on craig smoker... used to play with a bloke by that name in the ressies at West Perth a couple of years ago. Is this the same guy? anyone know where he's from? cheers

CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 11:24 am

melbourne reject from my memory

junkboy75 Pisces

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 11:26 am

might be ramjet21. smoker used to play for west coast as well as melbourne.

"..we flew at them as a hawk to his prey, passed through them in the disordered state in which they were, separated them into two distinct parts and then tacked upon their largest division.." -- Captain Cuthbert Collingwood, 1797
Dale61 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 2:25 pm

Re Craig Smoker: The Vic Football League Record has his previous clubs listed as Melbourne / West Coast, so he could be the one and the same.

ramjet21 Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 9:57 pm

thats the bloke.....knew he had been at wet toast - dont think he cracked a game tho. good to hear he's still going around.

Greg J Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 4:44 am

I fully endorse Dale61's match report.

As the afternoon unfolded it was exciting to realise that we had more to choose from in the reserves than Essendon had running around on Saturday. Pretty cool thought, considering last Thursday's result.

O'Bree played well enough in two and a bit quarters to be at the top of the list. He iced his hamstring (or something) when he came off in the fourth quarter, but that seemed precautionary. If they think he needs another week, then he needs another week. Looked "Gasper" like with his beard.

Johnson and Dimma played well enough to be the foremost of the rest.

Cole looked promising in patches. Ready for debut at the appropriate time, to see if he can step up to the next level.

Kinnear, played well, but he's got to be looking over his shoulder for Podsiadly, he looks to be coming along nicely.

Adkins and Shaw were overshadowed by Fletcher.

Swan had an obvious impact in the second half, not sure about his first half.

Guy Richards. Can not wait until he is ready to make his debut. This kid should keep McKee honest all year.

Overall, there seemed to be a high level of intensity in our reserves. Presumably caused by the competition to be at the top of the list for consideration to the seniors. Having an extra body, in Fletcher, has helped a lot too.

Watching in the outer was, Molly, Richardson, Licuria, Betheras and maybe some others. Did not see Balme, but watched the second half in the grandstand and did not see Mickey (but was not really looking).

All in all, I can recommend a trip down to Willy to you all, to catch the reserves.

Rule 1. Barrack for Collingwood
Rule 2. See rule 1.
Rule 3. There is no rule 3.

CARN DE PIES!
Greg J
Dale61 

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 12:04 pm

Greg J, unless I'm mistaken, hasn't Richard Cole already made his AFL debut? I think he was named on the bench for the Bitchmond match. Correct me if I'm wrong....

Greg J Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 3:59 am

Actually I think you are right Dale61.

I had a look out for you on Saturday, but of course, not knowing what you looked like, was foiled by the presense of more than one photographer.

By the photos, I can tell you moved around a bit. Were you allowed over the fence? Or did you have to stay behind the fence?

Keep it up!

Rule 2. See rule 1.

CARN DE PIES!
Greg J
Dale61 

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 8:01 am

Greg J, I try to stay in the one place.

Usually, I sit opposite the main gate, outside the playing surface, and I always wear a black jacket. I'll have a black beanie on this week, and I'm usually on my own. My camera bag will be on the seat next to me.

If you see me, come and introduce yourself.

Greg J Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 8:58 am

We watched the first and second quarters near the main gate. I'll keep an eye out for you next time.

Rule 2. See rule 1.

CARN DE PIES!
Greg J
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Williamstown Factor All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: