Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Harry Kewell quits Melbourne Victory

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> English Premier and A-League Soccer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:37 pm
Post subject: Harry Kewell quits Melbourne VictoryReply with quote

Harry Kewell has quit Melbourne Victory to return to England for family reasons.

Who'd be most likely interested in him? I'd think a English Championship club would consider him. Possibly a lower tier EPL club like QPR who do have lots of money may consider him as well.

Quote:
Kewell was close to signing a new two-year contract but made the stunning decision to reject Victory's offer for family reasons.

It's understood the mother of Kewell's wife, Sheree Murphy, is gravely ill and he has chosen to stay by her side in England.

The player, who rushed to England after Australia's World Cup qualifier against Japan in Brisbane, made the decision in the last few days, blindsiding the club and the star's management.

Victory will today confirm the shock announcement that Kewell has played his last game for the A-League club.

A source close to Kewell last night confirmed his decision to the Sunday Herald Sun.

Victory officials and Kewell's management did not return calls last night.

English Championship could be next move for Kewell

In May he activated a clause to terminate his original incentive-based three-year contract at the end of the 2011-12 season.

Negotiations then began for a new two-year deal.

Kewell had all but agreed to the new two-year contract in excess of $1 million a season.

But the family issue changed all that.

"Sheree's mum has taken a turn for the worse and Harry has decided to stay in England and support her," a source close to Kewell said last night.

"Harry was happy to stay with Victory and the club wanted to keep him.

"A deal was close so it's unfortunate for both parties.

"But Harry is adamant he wants to be with his family at this time." Ange Postecoglou spoke to Kewell less than two weeks ago and the pair discussed plans for the 2012-13 season.

The new Victory coach told the Herald Sun this week everything was on track for Kewell to resume pre-season in mid July.

"I spoke to Harry last week while he was in camp and he was feeling good about things and looking forward to it - but that was without things being finalised," Postecoglou said this week.

"All the indicators are that both parties are pretty close, unless something unforeseen pops up I would expect him to sign by the middle of July."

Kewell, 33, scored eight goals from 25 matches in his maiden season for Victory.

The former Leeds United, Liverpool and Galatasaray winger's exit is a big blow for Victory on a day when Johnny Warren medallist Carlos Hernandez was expected to sign for an Indian club.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:41 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the English language.
Man Utd Pie 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:55 am

Not the sharpest pencil in the box, isn't Harry.
In 2003 Man Utd went in for him when he wanted to quit Leeds, Kewell stated that he was going to sign for Liverpool because Utd where a team in decline. Aha...ahahaha.....ahahahahahahah.....ahahahahahaha, Prick.
Magpie Jack 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:00 pm

At 33 he may find it hard to get a gig in the Premier League but if his heart was in it he could be an asset to a team like Southampton. I wonder which part of England his in-laws live in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> English Premier and A-League Soccer All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: