Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Beams and Club send message to Trav

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClokingDevice 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:35 pm
Post subject: Beams and Club send message to TravReply with quote

No 'i' in Beams

By Jennifer Witham

Travis Cloke remains out of contract despite several other Magpies re-signing
Beams happy 'to pay price'

"[THEY have put] their careers over and above everything else."

That was the declaration of Collingwood's director of football Geoff Walsh when announcing Dayne Beams had joined others in recommitting to the club.

Whether intended or not, one of the by-products of the Travis Cloke saga is that any word coming out of Collingwood referring to contracts can be interpreted as a dig at the unsigned forward.

It's been three weeks since the Pies declared contract talks with Cloke were on hold until the season's end after drawn-out negotiations that had spilled into the public arena became too consuming.

Still, the situation surrounding his future remains glaringly present.

On Thursday, the Pies confirmed Beams' three-year contract extension, which was all but finalised a month ago, and the fact they're nearing more announcements.

The finer points nutted out, the club held a press conference with Beams and Walsh to formally discuss the news.

This wasn't unusual. A re-signed player is usually given the opportunity to talk about why he chose to remain at his club - earlier this year, Scott Pendlebury, Heath Shaw, Lachlan Keeffe and Steele Sidebottom spoke of their new deals on the Pies' Foxtel show, The Club.

What was a little different was the fact Walsh opened the press conference with a statement that firmly emphasised how delighted the club was with Beams' commitment.

"He joins a number of players who this year have underlined their commitment to the footy club, and who have put the fact they want to be part of something that hopefully produces some great results in their careers over and above everything else, whether that be financial reward or anything else you'd like to talk about," Walsh said.

"Dayne's the latest example of our players committing to the club and to what they hope may be some success around the corner."

Nudge one, one minute in.

Beams' turn.

He was asked how good it felt to get it out of the way, given the time of year.

"It's out of my mind and I suppose that's a good thing going into finals. You want to have as little distractions as possible and it's good to get it done and get a good result," Beams said.

Nudge two, although slightly more subtle.

It's no secret Cloke has been struggling with his form, and many believe it's because of the lingering contract situation.

Back to Walsh, where he directed a comment towards players who craved personal success.

"[Beams], like the other guys that have committed, are looking at team success and knowing that if we get team success, the individual success will follow," Walsh said.

Then, when asked if Cloke's halted talks enabled Beams' signing: "It has nothing to do with it. We work to a plan, we plan these things fairly meticulously, more than a year out.

"We've got a plan that hopefully everyone who wants to be part of Collingwood, we'll be able to accommodate them.

"The thing is, you've got to want to be part of Collingwood, so if you want to be part of Collingwood, we'll be able to accommodate you."

And, from Beams, when asked if his actions delivered a message to his out-of-contract teammates: "I don't know what goes on inside other guys' heads but for me it was just, if you want to be at a successful organisation, I think you've got to pay a price sometimes.

"I think we've seen over the years at Geelong, with those teams and successful sides, all their players have stuck together and as you can see now, they've been a really successful team for a long period of time.

"That's where this club wants to get to and that's where hopefully I fit into it, and I want to be a part of it."

Nudge, nudge, and shove.

While Cloke was never mentioned by name by either Beams or Walsh, he didn't really need to be for the message to be read as such - it's your call, and your loss, in our eyes, if you decide to go.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/144794/default.aspx

burnsy17 Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:42 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar sentiment from walsh on SEN this evening... He Emphasised that we'll accomodate players who WANT to be with us.....

There is bad blood towards Cloke, anyone who thinks otherwise wears the same rose coloured glasses essendon supporters wear

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:45 pm

It should be clear to everyone now that he is gone. The only question is who to? I still reckon he'll join Malthouse at the Blues.
ClokingDevice 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:46 pm

Whateley on AFL 360 says he's gone, said there's no other way to read it

Last edited by ClokingDevice on Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Collingwood 4 eternity 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:47 pm

Another Travis Cloke thread Rolling Eyes
ClokingDevice 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:49 pm

Collingwood 4 eternity wrote:
Another Travis Cloke thread Rolling Eyes

Another whinge from Stalky Laughing

VicParkTragic 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:49 pm

Yep, gone and all the best to him.
Next..................

Steve86 Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:54 pm

out of that i would take more that they are having a dig at him for not just signing up now and getting it over with rather then them saying he is gone. But good on beams, exactly what I would think, if you want to be somewhere make a sacrifice otherwise fk off
Deja Vu 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:01 pm

ClokingDevice wrote:

Or he could be trying to maximize his dollars as Collingwood has the righ to match.

Gerard should stick to horse racing

ClokingDevice 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:29 pm

Deja Vu wrote:
ClokingDevice wrote:

Or he could be trying to maximize his dollars as Collingwood has the righ to match.

He must see that it's gone beyond that now.. today was the first time we got a peek at how the club and other players view his stance.. wasn't very pretty

The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:50 pm

It's all opinion, and speculation, people have been claiming he's gone for months now... I'm more concerned on this season, not next season.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:21 am

Beams has shown great loyalty and foresight. Great for the young fella, well done young man.! Cloke should tell Demir to get knotted and sign as soon as he can like Beams, grow a set and tell Demir to f-ck off pronto.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
ClokingDevice 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:57 am

The Prototype wrote:
It's all opinion, and speculation, people have been claiming he's gone for months now

What Walsh and Beams said was hardly speculation, they made it very clear how the club and players feel about this situation

burnsy17 Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:15 am

This comment is the most telling. And he said EXACTLY the same thing when interviewed on SEN:

"The thing is, you've got to want to be part of Collingwood, so if you want to be part of Collingwood, we'll be able to accommodate you."

Seriously, if that wasnt directed at Cloke, i dont know what was!

ClokingDevice 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:27 am

burnsy17 wrote:
This comment is the most telling. And he said EXACTLY the same thing when interviewed on SEN:

Seriously, if that wasnt directed at Cloke, i dont know what was!

I'm not sure what it accomplishes though, we jump on Damir when he uses the media to send messages

That's why I think he's gone, we've been pretty professional up to now.. but that was a sign of deep frustration from an official and a player

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: