Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Six year offer for Cloke

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:46 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Some flog on SEN said this morning that direct from jason Cloke he signed 6 weeks ago with MM.

Hate to spoil the party but he cannot sign with anyone, or he will be in breach of AFL rules. Carlton can make him an offer and we can match it if we want. Hence it is still up to us whether he stays or goes by matching any offer.

Also does anyone really belive that jason will reveal private info to some flog to publicise it on SEN.

Give me a break.

FWIW I reckon he will stay in black and white next year.
burnsy17 Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:57 pm

He can absolutely commit to Carlscum or any other side anytime he wants.... in private....

Sure, we can match the offer, but he still then has the right to accept whatever offer he likes....

EG...

In July the scum say to him we'll pay you $1M for 5 years in a private convo with him and he says "sounds good to me" and shakes on it - "we'll talk again in Oct...."

In October, the scum make the 'official' offer and the Pies say, "yep, we'll also give you $1M for 5 years"

CLoke then says.... "nah, i'll accept the scums offer, thanks"

Done deal. We cant force him to play with us and under free agency rules, he is gone.

thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:01 pm

burnsy17 wrote:
He can absolutely commit to Carlscum or any other side anytime he wants.... in private....

Sure, we can match the offer, but he still then has the right to accept whatever offer he likes....

EG...

In July the scum say to him we'll pay you $1M for 5 years in a private convo with him and he says "sounds good to me" and shakes on it - "we'll talk again in Oct...."

In October, the scum make the 'official' offer and the Pies say, "yep, we'll also give you $1M for 5 years"

CLoke then says.... "nah, i'll accept the scums offer, thanks"

Done deal. We cant force him to play with us and under free agency rules, he is gone.

No. he is a restricted free agent. If we match he has to stay, or if he does not want to stay then nominate for the draft and try his luck there, in which case we could trade him to ensure he gets to his club of choice (like fun we will trade him to the Scum).
burnsy17 Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:35 pm

Yep, my mistake, just realised he's a restricted free agent...

In any case, if we were to match, it would be highly unlikely he'd stay - too many bridges would have been burnt by then and there'd surely be animosity from the club.

Banksy 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:44 pm

burnsy17 wrote:

In any case, if we were to match, it would be highly unlikely he'd stay - too many bridges would have been burnt by then and there'd surely be animosity from the club.

Why wouldn't he stay? So what's the point in negotiating burnsy ?
burnsy17 Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:53 pm

Banksy wrote:
burnsy17 wrote:

Why wouldn't he stay? So what's the point in negotiating burnsy ?

i just think if it gets to the stage where he approaches the club and says "carlton have offered me $1M and i'm going to accept it" and puts the club in a position where they need to either match it or let him walk... it will be impossible for him to accept a matched offer and return to the playing group believing everything will be rosy.

It wont be, because it means we would have lost a player or two to make room to match that offer.

loki04 Leo

Tiger Treloar lmfao NOPE.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:00 pm

RFA rules in regards to Cloke.

Quote:
A player has served eight or more seasons of AFL football at one club, is one of the top 25 per cent highest-paid players at his club, and is now out of contract for the first time since reaching eight seasons of service. (restricted free agent)

The player is eligible to field offers from all rival AFL clubs.
If he wishes to change clubs, the player must decide on the best offer of his choice from one rival club.
His club has the right to match the presented offer.
If the club matches the offer, he may choose to remain with his original club, seek a trade or enter the Draft.

If the club does not or can not match the offer, the player can move to the new club of his choice.
His original club will receive a compensation pick for the loss of the player, on an AFL-determined formula to apply where clubs lose more free agents than they gain in any single transfer period.

The issue is do we have 1 mil per year for 5 or 6 as rumoured to match Carlton or Freo (1.2mil @ 5)? No.

Last year we couldn't spare 100k extra for leon, Maccaffer was almost delisted due to cap space, to keep cloke for that kind of deal players will have to be moved on.

Then when Pendles and others come back out of contract they would have every right to bend the club over a barrel because they have sacrificed A LOT of coin to stay for less over the next 2-3 years yet Cloke was greedy and the club buckles.

Deja Vu 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:19 pm

I'm not 100% about this, but for Cloke to accept a rival offer as a restricted free agent, he actually must do so in an official capacity at the correct time.

The FA window coincides with trade week from memory. So you can't have clubs just making offers willy nilly. The official offer must be made at the appropriate time, and the AFL will review the cap arrangements of the club in question to make sure they can pay what is being offered.

Cloke would then need to somehow formally accept the offer, which would trigger Colingwood's option of matching. Again, the AFL will make sure they have cap space available. If the space is there and the offer is matched, Trav can stay or request a trade. If a trade cannot be worked out he is free to go in the draft.

It's a brave new world. Players may be able to formally accept offers from other clubs but be happy to stay. They may use it as a means to maximise their salary, but's it could be a dangerous game of bluff.

In our situation I would think that Cloke and his managers would be aware that we could not meet a rival offer. So look to see the contract finalised before trade week and the FA window opens. If he has not signed with us before then it most likely means he is on the way out.

I'm hopeful that negotiations will re-open once our season is over and a deal will be formalised before the end of this month.

ClokingDevice 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:26 pm

Carlton can only afford 800K for 5 years.. even if we don't budge on the 5th year is he really going to uproot himself from all his mates for 300K 5 years from now?

I was worried when the million plus offers were doing the rounds but thankfully that isn't the case

loki04 Leo

Tiger Treloar lmfao NOPE.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:27 pm

He or more so his manager can field offers but he can't sign anything yet.

That doesn't stop him agreeing to sign and you would have to be naive to think he hasn't been spoken too in some capacity.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:17 pm

Deja Vu wrote:
I'm not 100% about this, but for Cloke to accept a rival offer as a restricted free agent, he actually must do so in an official capacity at the correct time.

The FA window coincides with trade week from memory. So you can't have clubs just making offers willy nilly. The official offer must be made at the appropriate time, and the AFL will review the cap arrangements of the club in question to make sure they can pay what is being offered.

Cloke would then need to somehow formally accept the offer, which would trigger Colingwood's option of matching. Again, the AFL will make sure they have cap space available. If the space is there and the offer is matched, Trav can stay or request a trade. If a trade cannot be worked out he is free to go in the draft.

It's a brave new world. Players may be able to formally accept offers from other clubs but be happy to stay. They may use it as a means to maximise their salary, but's it could be a dangerous game of bluff.

In our situation I would think that Cloke and his managers would be aware that we could not meet a rival offer. So look to see the contract finalised before trade week and the FA window opens. If he has not signed with us before then it most likely means he is on the way out.

I'm hopeful that negotiations will re-open once our season is over and a deal will be formalised before the end of this month.

Collingwood has already made their final offer to Demir and they will not budge from it. The ball's in Cloke's court.
ClokingDevice 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:27 pm

Pa Marmo 

Side by Side

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:30 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Collingwood has already made their final offer to Demir and they will not budge from it. The ball's in Cloke's court.

Not looking to doubt you but how do you know this?

thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:20 pm

Pa Marmo wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

Not looking to doubt you but how do you know this?

Of course it was the Pies final offer, until the next one which will be the final final offer.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:23 pm

DOES Travis REALLY want to be back under that cantankerous old bastard who now coaches the Scum ?? Think LONG and hard, Travis my boy. !

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9   

Jump to: