Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Dale Thomas uses media to criticise players for using media

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Dapper Travis Cloke 

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:43 am
Post subject: Dale Thomas uses media to criticise players for using mediaReply with quote

Media Street is destroying our Club.

Daisy and boys try and keep it in-house. Don't live the Collingwood Football Club out like a glorified soap opera. It takes up too much energy and focus.

Dale, you are doing exactly what you are criticising Darren Jolly and Scott Pendlebury for doing.

MORE cracks have appeared in the Collingwood camp, with Dale Thomas today criticising some of his teammates for recent "outlandish" statements.

Thomas was speaking after this week's newspaper column by ruckman Darren Jolly in which he criticised former teammate Josh Fraser, and two weeks after Scott Pendlebury accused teammates of “cheating” in the wake of the Pies’ Anzac Day defeat to Essendon.

Speaking to Nova 100’s Hughesy and Kate this morning, Thomas questioned whether newspapers were the best place to air grievances and suggested some of his teammates should “pull their heads in”.

Jolly wrote earlier this week that he was shocked when Fraser had a “very acrimonious” attitude towards him when Jolly arrived at Collingwood, after the pair had engaged in sledging while Jolly was playing for the Swans.

Jolly’s arrival eventually pushed Fraser out of the Collingwood side and he moved to Gold Coast before retiring.

“Unfortunately, he chose to ignore me instead of embracing the situation and barely spoke to me for that entire season,” Jolly wrote.

“I'm sure if he'd had a better attitude, we could have had a good ruck combination and he would have continued at the Pies for a bit longer.”

Thomas said that he got on well with Fraser and didn’t remember anything unusual about the pair’s interactions at the time, but said he could understand Fraser not being friendly towards Jolly considering the circumstances.

“If someone is almost drafted or recruited to take your spot, there is probably reason for him to be angry,” Thomas said.

Thomas agreed there were some similarities between the situation and the Mick Malthouse / Nathan Buckley succession saga, before suggesting that teammates should keep such grievances in-house.

“Our boys need to pull their heads in I think. That’s two weeks in a row they have made outlandish statements. (What Jolly said about Fraser’s attitude) is a big statement.

“Maybe the paper isn’t the forum to be raising these issues but anyway he’s done it so if he’s happy to do it in the paper, good on him.

“He has an issue there and he has raised it so I’m sure they can sort it, they’re big boys. I am on the fence, well and truly.”

When it was suggested that he might be leaning more towards Fraser’s side of the argument, Thomas gave a qualified response.

“Not necessarily because Jolls is a current teammate of mine so there is no point in me potting him and him writing articles about me, no one wants that.”
On the March 

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:01 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW the above is from the Herald Sun linked below.

I draw exception to the introductory comment
"MORE cracks have appeared in the Collingwood camp, with Dale Thomas today criticizing some of his teammates for recent "outlandish" statements. "

What a lot of tripe! I can see Daisy's point but this is a story where there is none - just cause its the Pies. Has the journo heard about whats going on at Essendon - now that's a few cracks which will never be repaired.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/teams/dale-thomas-urges-collingwood-teammates-to-pull-their-heads-in-after-recent-outlandish-statements/story-e6frf9kx-1226639217144
Mr Dapper Travis Cloke 

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:09 pm

Sitting on top of the ladder, the mess that is going on behind the scenes has clearly bonded the players at Essendon..

I haven't heard one of them say something bad about anyone relating to the Essendon Club.

Whereas our blokes at Collingwood are arguing amoungst themselves in a feeding frenzy that the media would always latch onto and run with.

I thought we had blokes to work with the players and tell them what to and not to say in the media.

Criticising other teammates would be the biggest no no imo.
mattys123 

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:24 pm

That's a stunningly bad article, surely the idiot who wrote it knows that just about everything Daisy says on that joke of a radio show is exactly that, a joke, or at least slightly in jest.

Typical Herald Sun crap.
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:25 pm

Mr Dapper Travis Cloke wrote:
Criticising other teammates would be the biggest no no imo.

Really? Seemed to work well for Pendles and our defensive game last week.

Do you blindly accept there are 'cracks' because the papers say so?
Mr Dapper Travis Cloke 

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:33 pm

I don't believe our defensive game plan improved because Peldebury said something in the paper.

I do believe we shouldn't criticise players publically or talk about anything other than fluffy stuff to the media.
doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:34 pm

I'm sure this means that Daisy is going to leave us now.That's what everyone's going to say now,isn't it?Just as everyone was so convinced that Cloke was going to leave us last year as well.
Mr Dapper Travis Cloke 

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:36 pm

I never thought Travis Cloke would leave.

I certainly don't think Dale Thomas will leave. Not with the Thomas Club for kids and the fact Thomas is a very loyal person.

Dale Thomas will be a Pie for Life.

Just don't live out the Club like a soap opera in the media esp criticising each other.

Leave that for behind closed doors.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:44 pm

I wasn't happy with Jolly's article either, and I suspect a few other players at Collingwood would have shared Thomas's displeasure. So what? Do you really think they'll be talking about it in a week's time?

The only significant outcome is that Jolly is probably now going to be sledged mercilessly by opponents for the rest of the season. If we're to believe him, he'll be perfectly fine with that. Razz

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:47 pm

The Media is always trying to destroy the Club
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:21 pm

Whatever

Let's show we are a team on the field, leave this shit behind

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:43 pm

David wrote:
I wasn't happy with Jolly's article either, and I suspect a few other players at Collingwood would have shared Thomas's displeasure. So what? Do you really think they'll be talking about it in a week's time?

The only significant outcome is that Jolly is probably now going to be sledged mercilessly by opponents for the rest of the season. If we're to believe him, he'll be perfectly fine with that. Razz

clearly the article has got some people talking. the significant outcome for jolly is that people will see that he speaks his mind and want tor ead his future articles.

it's hardly a big deal. the media is the conduit between the club and its supporters. i do wonder, however, if daisy gave jolly a head's up about what he was goig to talk about on the radio spot.

Mr Dapper Travis Cloke 

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:59 pm

[quote="John Wren"]
David wrote:
i do wonder, however, if daisy gave jolly a head's up about what he was goig to talk about on the radio spot.

What is shows me is that currently off the field we are rabble without the necessary communication between players and players, players and staff, players and coaches.

Just a bunch of blokes pulling in all different directions.

All to serve the great God of monetary gain not supporting each other as a good Club should.

You don't hear anyone from Geelong coming out and criticising each other.

It is all done internally.
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:31 pm

I actually heard those comments live (the first time this year I've listened to Nova for more than 5 minutes).

The way it reads isn't the way he said it. There was no malice in his comments either way.
On the March 

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:38 pm

The Gods must be Crazy - stop the world I want to get off or at least give me my coke bottle back! Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: