Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Marley (not) to return next Sunday

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:21 am
Post subject: Marley (not) to return next SundayReply with quote

Quote:
Pie Marley set to return

Jake Niall

February 26, 2014

Collingwood plans to bring back Marley Williams for Sunday's game against Gold Coast, while coach Nathan Buckley says that training and playing games provides the defender with ''stability'' in his life as he awaits sentencing from a Western Australian court.

Buckley confirmed that the Magpies intended to play Williams in the practice match against the Suns, having withdrawn him from Saturday's game against Richmond in Wangaratta, which was only two days after the emerging defender was convicted on a charge of inflicting grievous bodily harm in Albany, Western Australia. Buckley said Williams had shown ''real remorse'' and that the club wanted to provide structure for him through training and playing while Williams' life was ''in limbo''.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/afl/afl-news/pie-marley-set-to-return-20140225-33fta.html
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:29 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Good on them—I really respect what the club is doing here. I know I've already written about this elsewhere, but I feel it deserves acknowledgement. Let's hope he can continue his great form from last year.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:23 am

i like how the club is handling it.

good to read tooves might get game time, so too sinclair. i thought the latter was quite good in our vfl practice game.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:24 am

Great news.

I hope they do it after he's been hanged, drawn & quartered then tarred & feathered. Wink

Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:28 am

David wrote:
Good on them—I really respect what the club is doing here. I know I've already written about this elsewhere, but I feel it deserves acknowledgement. Let's hope he can continue his great form from last year.

Exactly. Its good to feel vindicated that the majority of posters here are fantastic Collingwood supporters who care for Marley in these tough circumstances. We must never let the eternally negative and perpetually pessimistic "perceptive fellow" here hold sway over everything.... Rolling Eyes
partypie 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:31 am

Great stuff from Buckley. Hopefully we are going
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:53 am

Play him and keep playing him in the regular season.

Might just be the thing that makes it hard for the magistrate to send him to gaol.

Harrysz 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:58 am

No, I don't agree.
It looks like I'll be in the minority here.
Once Marley has served his time or received his penalty (whatever it may be)
then of course he should be able to play.
But until then he's a convicted felon. It's not a good look for Collingwood to allow this and I'm surprised the AFL is allowing it.
Marley is on bail and arguably he should be allowed to engage in his profession. However, his profession is to be an AFL footballer and I think there's a different standard there.
I have no doubt that if Marley played for Carlton then all the Nicksters who are applauding this move would have a different attitude.
I'm not being moralistic or judgmental. The reality is that a jury after listening to all of the evidence (which none of us did) found him guilty.
Allowing Marley to play now and under these circumstances will have a detrimental effect on the Collingwood culture, in my opinion.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:31 pm

"It's not a good look..."
"He's an AFL player and there's a different standard there."
"A detrimental effect on the Collingwood culture"

These are your arguments against Williams lining up for us, but all are kind of vague. Why isn't it a good look? Why should AFL players be treated differently? How it will have a negative impact on the Collingwood culture? I'd like to see these points expanded upon.

For me, it does not reflect badly on the Collingwood 'brand' because they clearly neither endorse nor condone what Williams has been convicted of. They couldn't have made that clearer. It won't have a negative impact on the club culture because Williams is remorseful for what he's done and is now suffering the consequences—hardly the sort of scenario likely to encourage teammates to get into fights outside nightclubs. Lastly, I strongly disagree that AFL players should be held to a greater level of responsibility because of their profession, but that one's been done to death here.

One thing I can tell you for sure is that I would feel exactly the same way if Marley was a Carlton player.

Steve86 Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:47 pm

Don't know Harryz to be honest.. since the punch he has done a hole heap of community work and has completely changed his behaviour. The guy isn't dead and lets be honest probably egged him on who knows. Either way he has done a lot of good since the event, and will continue to do so. Thats why I think he probably won't see the inside of a cell. Oh and play him for sure.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:08 pm

Harrysz wrote:
No, I don't agree.
But until then he's a convicted felon. It's not a good look for Collingwood to allow this and I'm surprised the AFL is allowing it.
Marley is on bail and arguably he should be allowed to engage in his profession. However, his profession is to be an AFL footballer and I think there's a different standard there.
I have no doubt that if Marley played for Carlton then all the Nicksters who are applauding this move would have a different attitude.
I'm not being moralistic or judgmental. The reality is that a jury after listening to all of the evidence (which none of us did) found him guilty.
Allowing Marley to play now and under these circumstances will have a detrimental effect on the Collingwood culture, in my opinion.

Point 1.
Of course we would have a different attitude. You are always more protective of one of your own. Besides my default setting for any Carlton player is always set to loathe. Laughing

Point 2.
The players would have been well aware of the circumstances surrounding the Williams incident before it went to court. I dare say that most of the players would have found themselves in similar situations in the past and would have been sympathetic towards Marley and his actions. Plenty of them I'm sure would have felt like belting a bloke in the past in the same situation but cooler heads or intervention by another party prevented it from happening.

I don't feel that a guilty verdict will change the way the players view Williams now to be honest.

Personally I believe that the club standing by the player would have a positive effect on the playing group. At this stage at least I haven't heard any reports that would make me believe otherwise.

GoWoodsmen 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:25 pm

Harrysz wrote:
No, I don't agree.

Harryz, if he'd shown no remorse, hadn't done any community service, hadn't clearly pulled his head in, I'd say yep get rid of him. By all reports - and I admit I am not close enough to the club to know - he is a changed young man.

I actually disagree strongly with your point of view. We all talk about the players being put on a pedestal (which is true in some circles). So what better example can parents have than someone like Marley. If as many expect he gets jail time it will be the perfect example to kids of today of the consequences of your action. It will highlight how quickly a stupid mistake/error of judgement can take away your whole life (I am presuming here that he will be jailed).

If he'd murdered someone - OK, he shouldn't be out there but I think the club have got this about right. The only danger I can see is that it is highly likely he will be sledged by opponents about "his upcoming stay in jail". What happens if he can't handle it? That's about the only risk. But I would dare say the club is going in with it's eyes wide open. If he shows signs that he's not coping I think you'll find he'll be pulled from the team quicker than you can blink.

Anyway that's my two cents.

woodys_world69 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:49 pm

Good way to get sentence downgraded
woodys_world69 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:49 pm

woodys_world69 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:50 pm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12   

Jump to: