Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Man charged over racial slurs/online abuse (Nic Nat)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:12 pm
Post subject: Man charged over racial slurs/online abuse (Nic Nat)Reply with quote

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/22085122/charge-over-nic-nat-slurs/

This kind of thing is absolutely terrifying to me. The fact that in this country you can be jailed for NINE years for the words you choose to use on Twitter is beyond insane. Now I find using the word (Seems this board censors the word, it's a slang term for Negro) towards a Fijian man to be firstly uneducated and the wrong racial slur to use in that context to begin with and secondly a low brow and crude thing to say but to think it's worthy of an extended jail sentence just sends shivers down my spine. The law that he's being charged with states "using a carriage service to menace, harass or cause offence". A blanket, non specific law like this is open to all kinds of abuse (define offence, offensive to who, but what/whose standards). There IS some semblance of a threat in Vinh Nguyen's tweets but it is just generic "I'd like to bash you" not "I'm coming to bash you". The guy is a nasty immature twat, but being an arsehole shouldn't mean rotting in Jail.

Things like this are why we need to enshrine freedom of speech. The consequences of saying things like this come without involving governments or the Police and Nic Nat would have avenues to sue, or this guy might find himself unemployable and with very few friends. In the words of Evelyn Beatrice Hall in discussing Voltaire; "How abominably unjust to persecute a man for such an airy trifle as that! 'I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it,"
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:58 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably a good reminder to all of us about the legal implications of what is written in this forum.
Stupied 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:00 pm

Very well said Wokko
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:14 pm

There is free speech and there is incitement to hatred and violence. This loser probably has a psychiatric issue, and i'm not too concerned about seeing him prosecuted given what he is reported to have said. I'd rather live in a society where this type of speech is not tolerated.

However, i agree that the bar to prosecution should be very high, as this type of legislation can readily be used vexatiously by minority groups to stifle any discussion of group characteristics, or to claim the moral status of a victim in response to unreasonably self-defined "offence". In this case, however this "tweeter" needs some time in incarceration, probably a psychiatric institution.

Hiss Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:36 pm
Post subject: YesReply with quote

The problem with this big brother regulation of speech is it can be abused by rat bag politicians who decide that one day, any comments they don't like should be prosecuted. Then sometime in the future, imagine a Greens Government, that prosecutes anyone who questions climate change. The point I am making is that politicians cannot and should not be trusted. They routinely abuse their power and tell lies. Regulating speech is the most dangerous thing a government can do. Throughout history the most brutal and oppressive dictatorships have all done it. It is their trademark. No matter what way you try and justify the regulation of speech, you can never be sure that a bad government may someday turn that regulation back on you and restrict your speech, because they don't like what you say about them. The safest thing in any healthy democracy is to leave speech alone. If some idiot wants to racially slur someone else, give it back to them. That is fair and proportionate. If you support the regulation of free speech, beware it may one day turn around and be used to bite you.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:06 pm

Mugwump wrote:
There is free speech and there is incitement to hatred and violence. This loser probably has a psychiatric issue, and i'm not too concerned about seeing him prosecuted given what he is reported to have said. I'd rather live in a society where this type of speech is not tolerated.

However, i agree that the bar to prosecution should be very high, as this type of legislation can readily be used vexatiously by minority groups to stifle any discussion of group characteristics, or to claim the moral status of a victim in response to unreasonably self-defined "offence". In this case, however this "tweeter" needs some time in incarceration, probably a psychiatric institution.

I firmly believe there is no such thing as 'hate speech' and anyone should be free from persecution or governmental sanction for saying or writing anything. That isn't to say actions don't have consequences, if you call someone a n***er like this idiot then society, friends, family, colleagues are more than likely going to turn on you. If you try and rile people up (incite hatred) then your words will allow a rational, argument based response rather than blanket censorship which keeps things in tight knit closed communities and behind closed doors.

From wiki: 'Australia does not have explicit freedom of speech in any constitutional or statutory declaration of rights...'

Sure there is some common law that supports freedom of speech, but to me it is an inalienable right, not something for the courts to play with like a political football. Brandis claims to support freedom of speech, it's time to ENSHRINE it as a constitutional reform. Pretty simple referendum question "Do you support Freedom of Speech being enshrined in the constitution via the addition of :*insert airtight legal amendment here*.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:07 pm

What makes you think I would try and rile people up incite hatred then your words will allow a rational argument based response rather than blanket censorship?
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:27 pm

There is no such thing as freedom of speech - never has been. It is errant nonsense to suggest that there might be.

There are always limits. Twitter, shmitter or any form of public communications.

This idiot has been caught out. Being an idiot doesn't equate to having a mental illness. Bad behaviour is bad behaviour.

I'm not sure if this constitutes incitement to racial hatred say like Alan Jones seems to have (allegedly) done with the lead up to the Cronulla Riots - seems to have come pretty close.

It is utterly responsible to have laws banning incitement to racial hatred & violence. The issue for me is how it is applied.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:21 pm

Wokko wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

I firmly believe there is no such thing as 'hate speech' and anyone should be free from persecution or governmental sanction for saying or writing anything. That isn't to say actions don't have consequences, if you call someone a n***er like this idiot then society, friends, family, colleagues are more than likely going to turn on you. If you try and rile people up (incite hatred) then your words will allow a rational, argument based response rather than blanket censorship which keeps things in tight knit closed communities and behind closed doors.

From wiki: 'Australia does not have explicit freedom of speech in any constitutional or statutory declaration of rights...'

Sure there is some common law that supports freedom of speech, but to me it is an inalienable right, not something for the courts to play with like a political football. Brandis claims to support freedom of speech, it's time to ENSHRINE it as a constitutional reform. Pretty simple referendum question "Do you support Freedom of Speech being enshrined in the constitution via the addition of :*insert airtight legal amendment here*.

I strongly suggest you read William shirers book, "Rise and fall of the third reich " there you will see that hate speech, race hate speech, both written and spoken, at massive rallies, radio, and Nazi controlled newspapers, most certainly did liead to mass persecution, of jews, gypsys, trade unionists, left wingers, scientists, free thinkers, clergy, and anybody else who opposed the vile Nazi regime, the majority of the german people lapped it up, swallowed the hate speech hook and line, and acted on it. Freedom of speech and expression is one thing, but deliberately inciting race hate, on racial grounds, like on that bus recently, is an abomination, and cannot be tolerated in a democratic and free society. Exclamation Idea

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:31 am

accountable for the words you speak? what a concept.
sixpoints 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:12 am

This is Australia mate. We have laws in regard to what you utter, author, publish, broadcast, post, tweet etc.
You libel someone - you can be prosecuted
You defame someone - you can be prosecuted
You menace, harass, cause offense on a carrier service - you can be prosecuted.

You can then defend yourself in court against any claims made against you.

They are our laws. Knowing that, how about you don't libel, defame or menace anyone and all will be well.

In regard to this "free speech" mantra that some people keep spouting. I think you are watching too much American TV or literally believing the nonsense that some columnists here publish.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:06 am
Post subject: Re: Man charged over racial slurs/online abuse (Nic Nat)Reply with quote

Wokko wrote:
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/22085122/charge-over-nic-nat-slurs/

This kind of thing is absolutely terrifying to me. The fact that in this country you can be jailed for NINE years for the words you choose to use on Twitter is beyond insane. Now I find using the word (Seems this board censors the word, it's a slang term for Negro) towards a Fijian man to be firstly uneducated and the wrong racial slur to use in that context to begin with and secondly a low brow and crude thing to say but to think it's worthy of an extended jail sentence just sends shivers down my spine. The law that he's being charged with states "using a carriage service to menace, harass or cause offence". A blanket, non specific law like this is open to all kinds of abuse (define offence, offensive to who, but what/whose standards). There IS some semblance of a threat in Vinh Nguyen's tweets but it is just generic "I'd like to bash you" not "I'm coming to bash you". The guy is a nasty immature twat, but being an arsehole shouldn't mean rotting in Jail.

Things like this are why we need to enshrine freedom of speech. The consequences of saying things like this come without involving governments or the Police and Nic Nat would have avenues to sue, or this guy might find himself unemployable and with very few friends. In the words of Evelyn Beatrice Hall in discussing Voltaire; "How abominably unjust to persecute a man for such an airy trifle as that! 'I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it,"

The issue everyone forgets is that with every right, there is a responsibility. They are not mutually exclusive. Surely we have reached a position as a decent society that we ensure that silly people are made to be responsible and accountable for their boorish behaviour?
I have no problems with there being punitive actions for bloody disgraceful acts of racial prejudice Rolling Eyes
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:16 am

Being accountable for words does not mean the government should kidnap you at gunpoint and keep you locked in a room for years. It means there are consequences to being a dick, either through court action by individuals or through consequences of breaching the 'social contract' to not act like a dick.

Libel = civil matter, you can be sued for damages
Defamation = civil matter, you can be sued for damages

As for defending any law about 'causing offence' well I am deeply offended by people who advocate against free speech, and hey, you've offended me via a carrier service. Off to jail with you.

Finally on the last point, Freedom of Speech is a well recognized RIGHT of citizens of free nations. It is not a uniquely American concept, although the founding fathers, understanding the methods of tyranny, chose to ensure that such freedoms were not merely implied but were part of the core makeup of the laws of their society. Infringing on freedom of expression always starts 'reasonably'.

As for bringing up Nazi Germany I'd be interested what their laws were regarding free speech and freedom of the press, because it was lack of free speech that allowed that toxic ideology to take hold because people couldn't speak against it. Ideas should never be silenced, even ones that are offensive, unpalatable, disgusting or terrifying. If someone wants to make the claim that "Jews control Hollywood" (Mel Gibson style) then they should be able to say that (Mel was allowed to say that in the USA), defend or argue their point then deal with the consequences of saying it (The Jews who don't control Hollywood blacklisting you from working ever again) Laughing If you forbid, prosecute or attack people for saying or printing things then you allow the idea to survive under the surface. Do you think that banning anything to do with Nazis or Holocaust historical revision in Europe has prevented those ideas or ideologies from surviving? No, they just allow them to survive unchallenged.
nomadjack 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:40 am

Wokko wrote:
Being accountable for words does not mean the government should kidnap you at gunpoint and keep you locked in a room for years. It means there are consequences to being a dick, either through court action by individuals or through consequences of breaching the 'social contract' to not act like a dick.

What a lot of horseshit. Kindly inform us which poor innocent soul this terrible nasty guvvament you speak of has dragged away and locked up under these laws? Somebody? Anybody? Spare me Rolling Eyes

You use words to harm or vilify others unreasonably you deserve whatever tickle or whack the legal system gives you. In the case you mention it will be a tickle not NINE years as you mention. Alarmist much? (As a sidebar you obviously don't trust the judiciary to apply a reasonable sentence in this case but then want to enshrine the right to free speech in the constitution where the judiciary has the ultimate say over interpreting that right - so you don't trust the judiciary but then increase their role - nice logic) Shocked

Funny how those who bitch and moan about limits on free speech are most often the ones who use that freedom to bully and attack those with little power. Isn't tolerance and respect for difference also important for democracy? Instead of defending bigots try defending that for frigging change...
die4pies Scorpio

Homeward bound

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:41 am

The problem you defamation law experts fail to see is that a significant number of those that are vilified come from an oppressed minority group who do not have the know how or finances to bring civil proceedings.

This is an area of law where society has deemed that the criminal courts should protect people because they can't protect themselves. Which is precisely how a civilised system should work. Otherwise you have survival of the fittest (read: wealthiest).

Repost this because it is spot on:

Lazza wrote:
The issue everyone forgets is that with every right, there is a responsibility. They are not mutually exclusive. Surely we have reached a position as a decent society that we ensure that silly people are made to be responsible and accountable for their boorish behaviour?
I have no problems with there being punitive actions for bloody disgraceful acts of racial prejudice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10   

Jump to: