Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

53,000 and that's being generous.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:03 am
Post subject: 53,000 and that's being generous.Reply with quote

Crowds are way down this year in Melbourne, that is well known. Crowds are way down at our games too. There was no way that crowd last night was over 50,000, so I don't know how the MCG calculates their figures.

Obviously the twilight timeslot sucks, but we can't keep pretending something is not wrong with our attendances. For a club with a supposed 80,000 members, where is everybody? Confused

One more thing (that will get me flamed): Why are our supporters such down hill skiers? When we are playing badly you can almost hear a pin drop. Our cheer squad is totally non-existent and yet we claim to be the greatest club in the land. If we had half the passionate support of Port Adelaide we'd be playing as well as them too!

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:29 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

so, you didn't actually go then?

53,000 was about right.

and, when will you get past the oversimplification of 80k members translating to crowds of that size? very naive thinking.

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 9:26 am

I thought it was a great crowd and appreciate that time slot on a Saturday. Managed to get our shit done during the day and got home early enough to get out and about on a Saturday night. Excellent turnout for a non Vic opponent and I reckon the time slot had a lot to with it. Doesn't work for a Sunday but I think it's perfect for Sat.
delcorp 

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 9:43 am

its start of ski season?

pies fans more sophisticated thesedays
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 10:00 am

The game times are for TV not for a physical presence. Many paid members simply don't turn up and are voting with their feet. Sure the AFL and the Clubs get their money but people will decide to drop their memberships eventually unless something is done.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 10:08 am

Prices Going Up and Disgusting Food Prices - No Wonder
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 10:16 am

I don't mind the Saturday twilight timeslot. I can get done what I need to do during the day and still can go out to dinner after if I wish.

I also though the crowd count last night was about right at 53k.

Sunday is a whole different thing.
Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 10:19 am

80,000 members of which 50,000 have 3 game memberships. How many of that 50,000 are going to use up one of their three games to watch us play WCE instead of Carlton, Essendon, Richmond etc?
Flashman 

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 10:34 am

You get flamed because you deserve to get flamed Jack.

The atmosphere was incredible last night as befitted a tremendous hard fought game of football and a 50,000+ crowd for a match with an interstate side is excellent.

Our crowd numbers are high when we're both strong and poor as our average attendance over the past 30 years (when we've been both very poor and very strong) would bare out.

Comparing us unfavourably with the latest flavor of the month club is a standard modus operandi of Jerk_Spain/Collie Flog for years now. It used to be Hawthorn but now it's Port and next year it'll be the Suns.

Cast your mind back 2 seasons Jack and you'll see how wonderful the Port supporters really were, both of them. They were playing to empty houses as they played a brand of footy that stank the house out but now they're playing a good football and winning they've came out of the woodwork in force.

I'd back the loyalty of Collingwood supporters over any other supporters in the league, no sweat.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 10:43 am

True Flashman - Our Fans keep coming to games and other team like port at the moment have a Ton of Bandwaggoners
MattyD 

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 12:08 pm

When the crowd is more crowded in certain areas and there are large holes in other areas, it is harder to judge.

The crowd was more compacted in certain areas. The noise was incredible and certainly a 50,000 plus crowd.

West Coast have always had good support in Melbourne and they probably make more noise than North or Bulldogs' fans! hahaha

Our crowds are only slightly down on the last couple of years but after our finals loss last year and our loss to Freo, that affects the number of 'concert crowd' Collingwood fans. But Collingwood crowds are still very good compared to everyone else - and always will be.

No issue here.

But I agree the prices are getting ridiculous.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 1:20 pm

Member 7167 wrote:
I don't mind the Saturday twilight timeslot. I can get done what I need to do during the day and still can go out to dinner after if I wish.

I agree, I like that timeslot on a Saturday, but not sunday tho. Gave us time to do a few things, drive to the game, have a long slow lunch at the Precinct Hotel, carpark right near, and head off to the game at around 4-00pm. Yeh, good timeslot, and I thought the crowd was good too, for the Weagles afterall. Idea Smile

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 2:13 pm

I am sure there was over 50k there which is a good crowd versus a WA side and considering the expensive prices for tickets these days!

Comparing us to Port... well a few years ago they had to put huge banners to block out the unsightly vision of empty seats for Port home games... of course they have jumped back on when their team is on top which all supporters do to some extent... but boy did they jump off!!!

Pies however get the biggest crowds when our team is lower on the ladder or higher up!

Captain_MyCaptain Leo

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 2:15 pm

Culprit wrote:
The game times are for TV not for a physical presence. Many paid members simply don't turn up and are voting with their feet. Sure the AFL and the Clubs get their money but people will decide to drop their memberships eventually unless something is done.

Agreed.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:43 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
Member 7167 wrote:

I agree, I like that timeslot on a Saturday, but not sunday tho. Gave us time to do a few things, drive to the game, have a long slow lunch at the Precinct Hotel, carpark right near, and head off to the game at around 4-00pm. Yeh, good timeslot, and I thought the crowd was good too, for the Weagles afterall. Idea Smile

53k is a sellout at etihad and a 25% oversubscription for subi.

i think a lot of pies supporters have actually dropped off because of our decline in recent years.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: