Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Interesting selections coming up

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:31 am
Post subject: Interesting selections coming upReply with quote

Rumor has it Reid will play next week in the VFL so you would think he will need minimum of 2 games before being considered for AFL.
Given our next 2 games are "should" wins (expecting the Dee's and Dogs to be much stiffer opposition to St Kilda) we do have a bit of time to make sure we get all our players back to attack the Hawks the Carlscum.
Maxy is apparently 4 weeks so under the Collingwood system that could well be his season over or at best 6 weeks.
PK hammy I'm guessing is minimum 6 weeks so doubtful be would see much action this season unless we get struck down bad with injury.
Brown gone for the season
Ball was a 1 week but I wonder if Bucks will give him a second week to give Adams another game.
And I wonder if Swanny being out was a calculated risk by Bucks to give him effectively a 16 day break before the Dee's as I believe he has been carrying a niggle for most of the season. (his form has been up and down) or maybe Bucks will rest him again to give him 3 weeks off then have a game before the Hawks.
Sidey will be gone for at least 2 but I would not be at all surprised with the carry on last night (you would have thought he pulled a pinch bar from his shorts and struck him with it) if he got 3 or 4 after an early plea.
Where told Grundy was more precautionary so expecting him to be a available next week.

So there is a chance some fringe players like Thomas, Adams, Seedsman, Sinclair to push there claims for a spot.

Maxy & Reid are automatic back in our best 22 when available.
If Seedsman keeps up his improvement and Thomas keeps going they could easily be staying in the 22.

If Sidey did get 3 or 4 would he automatically come back in if we won all the games he missed ?
He probably would but his form prior to his suspension hasn't been great (no offense thinking positive but how you gave him 5 votes against St Kilda defies belief) so maybe he would be forced to play a VFL game or 2 to get some form back and some match fitness.
Young impressed me last night playing the Maxy style dropping back as a spare man and his foot skills showed last night why Bucks wanted him in the side.
He won't hold Maxy out of a spot but puts pressure on others.
I can see him playing the role they tried Fas in and moving Fas forward showed last night how valuable he is along side a Elliot.
Interesting to see if Bucks liked the balance not playing both Grundy & Witts together using White as the 2nd ruck.
With Reid hopefully available in time for the Hawks I doubt we can afford to play Witts, Grundy, Reid and White all in the one side.
Reid gets a jersey as he can play both ends and with Maxy missing 6 weeks or so we might need his experience down back against the Hawks and maybe Carlscum depending on if Waites and Henderson both play forward.
Either Witts or Grundy become vulnerable at the selection table so I think it might be give each a week off in turn playing White as the 2nd ruck and swing man forward.
Our depth is starting to show now as the injuries we have suffered this year we seem to cover quite well and the players coming in know there jobs and the team plan well.
I'm assuming over the past 2 yrs when we have had a terrible run with injuries the coaches and recruiters have positioned us for many scenarios like this.
Losing Reid Brown and Maxy from our backline shows how we have been able to adapt to situations well.
Last night Goldy was a machine in his pressure and tackling (we had 26 effective tackles inside our attacking 50) which is a fantastic effort.

Looking forward 3 games the Hawks love to use Hodge and Suckling as there set up players coming out of defense and up onto the wing so a Goldy type is so valuable to lessen there time and space.
I think we can stretch them with Cloke Reid White forward assuming Gibson is still out.
Our mid field should be able to dominate with no Mitchell or Rioli.
Pendles and Beams form has been irresistible this year. We all know how good Swanny can be.

Getting games into the younger players now is great especially if we keep getting 4 points. I don't care how it looks at times as the record book doesn't show anything more than the score board.

Would love to be a fly on the wall at selection over the next few weeks to listen to what they come up with.
Just some food for thought
yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 9:20 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree very interesting selections coming... I don't think Sinclair is in the mix though as I believe he is injured!

One ruck is my preference with White very capable of backing up... So Grundy and Witts need to be managed appropriately... I would have Grundy back for the Melbourne game if fit but it could be a chance to rest him a little longer if his back is a problem.

Reid to come back as the sub for the Hawks game...

Giving Adams another chance is fair but not if Ball is back - Dwyer also offer a lot. Thomas and Dwyer can provide something different to Adams/Ball and therefore should be able to push for game time in the next few weeks - especially with Sidey out for a spell!

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 5:07 pm

I think our injuries make the selections less interesting. The main question will be when Reid's available. I think we'll go with Reid forward and Grundy in the ruck with White as backup.

Thomas has put his hand up for a regular spot in the senior team. Adams was ok, but needs to do more to replace Ball.

Goldsack will need to go back now that Maxwell's out, which opens up a spot in the forward line. Dwyer or Kennedy are most likely.

Sidebottom if fit enough will be straight back in. He's been one of our best this year and ripped the game apart in the first quarter last night, though was more quiet after that.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 5:13 pm

Keep Adams in so he can get use to the AFL Pace so he does not Rush his Kicks
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 5:30 pm

Dave The Man wrote:

How about he earns his spot. I'm not knocking the kid - his in and under work is good but his field kicking is not at the top level at the moment.

Melbourne gave port a run today. We can't be too nonchalent.

Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:05 pm

^Agree re Dees. Beat Adelaide over there and were up against Port with 9 mins to go in the heat in Alice Springs.

Assuming Sidey and Maxwell are out, likely Ball comes in.
Grundy and Swan in too, with Adams perhaps making way.
Expect they'll play Reid in the reserves.

Can possibly get away with Goldsack up forward and Seedsman, Langdon etc covering off on a tall if required. Dees not all that tall in attack.

Would like to see Reid back in the week later if possible.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:30 pm

dalyc wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:

How about he earns his spot. I'm not knocking the kid - his in and under work is good but his field kicking is not at the top level at the moment.

I thought he earned his spot last night. Sure, he shanked a few shots on goal, but his in and under pack work was good and he gave us added pace around the ground. He'll only get better with senior games under his belt. Last night I thought he played better than Blair, Toovey, Goldsack and after quarter time, he even gave us more than Fasolo.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:03 pm

Dave The Man wrote:

Double standards or what... Sinclair missed a couple of similar shots on goal and you quite comfortably label him a dud and a shocking kick...

And equally, a consistent demonstration of good kicking in the VFL is probably a good start... maybe we could try that first?

Last edited by jackcass on Sat May 31, 2014 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stinger 

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:09 pm

Out: Witts
In: Cox

...too soon?
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:11 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
dalyc wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:

I thought he earned his spot last night. Sure, he shanked a few shots on goal, but his in and under pack work was good and he gave us added pace around the ground. He'll only get better with senior games under his belt. Last night I thought he played better than Blair, Toovey, Goldsack and after quarter time, he even gave us more than Fasolo.

Not sure I agree he was better than all of those, but let's go with it for now: they are all playing in positions of less responsibility. Adams played in the centre square and in the leadership role of our primary extractor. In a serious game we need to play our best available player not someone we hope can develop.

Adams was only ok last night and unless he shows more he's not a first option mid for us at this stage. Maybe we get away with giving young players an opportunity against Melbourne and the Dogs while resting some older players, but both of these teams are better than the Saints and this would be a definite risk.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:14 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
dalyc wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:

Don't entirely disagree, said similar things about Young and Fasolo after the WCEs game insomuch as if you're not 100% on, you leave yourself vulnerable. Also said they shouldn't be dropped and in all likelihood would be better for the match. Young came through in spades but Fasolo, despite his 4 goals, still not quite at his best and remains vulnerable.

Maxy will miss, apparently White has a broken finger and could miss, Sidey more likely to miss than not. That's 3 (possible) changes and can't see to many more than that so others will be safe. Adams will get another chance to stake a claim.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:22 pm

The thing for Adams is, he wasn't in there as a first choice player, he was replacing Ball and we also have Grundy and Swan to return. He is definitely vulnerable, but if Ball's not back he will likely get another chance.
rand corp 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:49 pm

Depending somewhat on the form of Keeffe, I think Reid will be given a solid month of VFL footy before considered for selection. We seem to take a very cautious approach to injury these days. I think Bux comment on PK was illuminating in that he said the hammy tweak showed he was still probably a couple of weeks away from being where he needed to be, to be ready for consideration.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:03 pm

IMO if Reid returns to the VFL next week then I expect he'll play 2 weeks at that level and return against the hawks.

He'll be underdone but if we can plonk him at full forward any fitness issues shouldn't be exposed all that much and we'll look to expose the hawks for kpp in defence.

A quality footballer and a proven one and those types generally don't spend to much time in the magoos.

King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:38 pm

Will be hard to squeeze J.Thomas out with Ball & Swan coming back in. Has been stiff not to have played more this year in the 1's. Adams will probably be the one, but who else goes out??

Dwyer is the direct like-for-like link man to bring in for Sidebottom.

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: