Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Beams. Should we trade him now?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should we trade Dayne Beams now?
Yes, we should grant him his wish and trade him while we can maximise his value.
74%
 74%  [ 26 ]
No, we should hold our ground and help support him in his needs next year.
25%
 25%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 35

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:55 pm
Post subject: Beams. Should we trade him now?Reply with quote

So, it really comes down to two basic questions.

Should we look to grant Dayne Beams his wish and trade him to either of the Queensland based sides this trade period or enforce his contract and work with him through his needs to be closer to his family whilst he remains at the club next season?

If we look to hold our ground and work with Dayne throughout next season we get the advantage of an elite talent running around in the black'n'white colours for another year with the prospect of being able to change his mind and getting him re-signed to the club.

However, we also run the risk of having him still wanting to return home at the end of next season despite our best endeavours and as a now uncontracted player we wouldn't hold as much bargaining power at the trade table, our compensation would be less and in a worst case scenario could in fact lose him for nothing via the PSD.

While my preference is for Dayne to recommit to the side now and sign a contract extension that appears all but impossible.

So for me if Dayne comes across as sincere in his reasons for wanting to leave and appears steadfast in his desire to make the move up north then it's probably better to let him go now while we can maximise the return we will get for him.

It will be a major body blow for the side, he's our second best player but running the risk of losing him for less adequate compensation next year should he not wish to continue with us is a risk not worth taking is it?

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:46 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted trade, BUT only because I believe it'll be the best thing for Beamer and his family. Very conlicted. Hopefully some way can be found to keep him in a Pies jumper but family come first.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:52 pm

Let him live in QLD and train with Southport or something, pay them a shitload and they get a top flight AFL talent to train with, he can come back to Melbourne for games and the odd team meeting. Someone of his level will be fine without micro management. Surely the club can figure something out to keep him.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:53 pm

Who?
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:56 pm

HAL wrote:
Who?

Daisy's already left dude.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:22 pm

Happy to trade him. Always was. Not that fussed, really. Should get a good deal for him.
Darkstranger 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:09 pm

Agree with P4S, mids are replaceable every fair weather supporter knows this! What we need to do is get some more top end talent like we have and in 2 years we'll be back in the top 4 !
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:55 pm

I think so but at a high premium. Round 1 pick high up & a good not a fringe player and or a combination of draft pciuks that we trade outr lower round 2 pick for a higher round two picck as well.
uncanny 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:02 pm

From the look of things, once Dayne has made up his mind about something like this it won't be changed.
If his heart's not in it we need to do a trade now and get blue chip talent in return.
Will be very disappointed to see him go,,,,

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:02 pm

I voted yes. If we keep him he be sad that he is not close with his dad.

Plus we get more Trading him now and Instead of Losing him thru Free Agency next year

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:04 pm

Definitely yes. It's a crap situation for all involved (except Brisbane). We need to make the most of it and look to come out on top in the deal.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:09 pm

Alternate suggestion which depends how sick is dad is.

If his dad doesn't actually have long, just give him time off. Give him the season off, loan him to a local club so he can keep some fitness and still play, but he stays on our list and comes back to play once his dad passes.

Failing that, I'm in the trade him if that's what he wants and get as much as we can in the process, preferably a high pick and a good player.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:25 pm

stui magpie wrote:

If his dad doesn't actually have long, just give him time off. Give him the season off, loan him to a local club so he can keep some fitness and still play, but he stays on our list and comes back to play once his dad passes.

Failing that, I'm in the trade him if that's what he wants and get as much as we can in the process, preferably a high pick and a good player.

Since none of us know the details of Dane's Dad's health prognosis, and neither should we, it is foolish to make judgements or rush to uninformed conclusions. It's a private matter and that's as it should be. All I know is that many cancers, especially one's which have recurred following one bout of treatment, are more often unpredictable. Regardless of his Dad's health situation, the real factor for us is the emotional state of Dane Beams. If his head is elsewhere and he wants to return home, then regardless of the logic of that choice, we should not try to stop him. If he wants to return home, then the obligation of our club is to get the best possible deal for him. It's that simple.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:31 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

Since none of us know the details of Dane's Dad's health prognosis, and neither should we, it is foolish to make judgements or rush to uninformed conclusions. It's a private matter and that's as it should be. All I know is that many cancers, especially one's which have recurred following one bout of treatment, are more often unpredictable. Regardless of his Dad's health situation, the real factor for us is the emotional state of Dane Beams. If his head is elsewhere and he wants to return home, then regardless of the logic of that choice, we should not try to stop him. If he wants to return home, then the obligation of our club is to get the best possible deal for him. It's that simple.

I'm not actually arguing any of that. I've had people die of cancer, you don't beat it you just buy a reprieve, and I get where Dayne is coming from.

That's why I said it depends. Lots of permutations, what I suggest is one option that may be suitable in a short set of circumstances only.

Flashman 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:03 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

This. Summed up perfectly Rudeboy.

It hurts our club but Beams wants to be with his family and irrespective of the actual state of his fathers health (which as you stated is no concern of ours) it would be churlish of the club to deny him that wish in light of the service he has given us.

By the same token it is the clubs business to make sure we are compensated adequately for an elite midfield talent entering his prime years, that the club invested in heavily during his formative years.

Pick 4 and a fringe player or exchange of second round picks won't cut it at all especially when a top 10 pick doesn't automatically guarantee a great player (Cale Morton, Luke Livingston, Richard Tambling are just some pick 4 busts). We must insist on pick 4 (for the future years we'll be losing Beamer for) and an established A-grade player (to help offset the instant loss of one of our finest players).

Anything less will neither suffice or be fair.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: