Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Neglected heroes: The sad case of the AFL Hall of Fame

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:41 pm
Post subject: Neglected heroes: The sad case of the AFL Hall of FameReply with quote

ll of Fame.

This is one of the best footy articles I've ever read and makes some very valid points on what is wrong with Australian Football Hall of Fame. Makes mention of some Collingwood greats in Dick Condon, Bill Proudfoot, Bob Rush, Bill Strickland, Neil Mann, Thorold Merrett and Ron Todd as part of many players not to have received recognition. Some short summaries on their contributions are also featured. The author is Adam Cardosi, creator of australianfootball.com.

http://australianfootball.com/articles/view/Neglected%2Bheroes%253A%2BThe%2Bsad%2Bcase%2Bof%2Bthe%2BAustralian%2BFootball%2BHall%2Bof%2BFame/802

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:24 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it's a good point he makes. The older guys suffer due to a lack of media coverage and the current and previous committees are too lazy to do the research.

It's like those twats in the Herald Sun who want to rejigger the Team of the Century and get rid of a triple Brownlow medalist in Hadyn Bunton jnr for a bloke like Simon Madden. Come on.

mattys123 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:07 pm

Great article and it shows what a joke it was to bring 5 recently retired players into the HOF this year instead of only about 2 and then adding 3 actual champions.

I mean in 100 years will Tredrea or Johnson be considered absolute greats of the game, SHIT NO.

Yet some of those who have not been bought into the HOF as suggested in that article should be in there already.
BEAMER09 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:26 pm

On the theme of twats selecting AFL Team of the Century (1897-1996) - technically it should be Team of the Half Century.

From 1897 through to 1950 - Of the 21 players selected only 5 players in 54 years made the team or started their careers in the 30's (x3) and 40's (x2) or 24% and no Collingwood player with 11 cups till 1950/13 cups till 1958 - joke really.

Note: Not one player was good enough to make this side who started their careers prior to the 30's. That's 34 years of players neglected.

If we could reverse this and let the experts pick a team of the century from 1997-1896 as if today was 1896, how many Collingwood players do you think would've made it?

Simply should be renamed and appropriately named AFL Team of the Half Century!!!

collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:33 am

Totally right Frankie.

How the hell was that Ern Henfry selected in the Hall of Fame? Was it because he was a Carlton player? Obviously because his stats are ordinary to say the least. 193 games 80 or so goals. Geez, how many Collingwood greats have done better than that and are still out in the cold. Evil or Very Mad

I'm sick to death of the AFL. I loath this biased organisation and I would support a breakaway competition if someone could set it up.

collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:37 am

mattys123 wrote:
\

I mean in 100 years will Tredrea or Johnson be considered absolute greats of the game, SHIT NO.

Is Daicos in the Hall of Fame? If not I would go off my head. The very fact we ask the question shows that the public rarely rate this American concept.

Of those inducted last week ONLY Andrew McLeod is deserving and will be remembered in 100 years.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: