Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

zoneball

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:02 am
Post subject: zoneballReply with quote

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-football-2020-style--dont-go-over-the-line-20140608-zs16s.html

Read this article from the age about what our great game might resemble in the year 2020 if zones were introduced, and it doesn't sound good. I believe this idea is gathering momentum amongst some laws of the game people and I bloody well hope that they don't consider introducing them in the years to come because it will kill off the game for good. I believe a version of it is already in place in the junior leagues and to a lesser extent - the TAC as well. We should be worried about this because it will change the way the game is played forever. The game as we know it will be nothing more than a memory of days gone by. No more dashing runs from half back or long leads up forward. I know worsfold is keen on this and bartlett too - he's determined to kill the game off altogether. However minor the introduction of zones might be at first, the will most certainly change as each year passes, becoming more and more technical and turning the game into some sort of rugby/ soccer/ netball mutation. With the way the game's headed now with ridiculous fixturing and scheduling of games, I wouldn't be at all surprised if something like this was introduced. I'm sure the fast majority of fans, players and coaches would oppose this, so why do these people insist on changing the game year in year out without any care for how it's going to impact on the game itself and supporters. I cannot see why the introduction on zones is a necessary requirement for the game. I cannot see how people are going to embrace it and I cannot see it working. The good thing about our great game now is that it's a fast free flowing game that encourages long runs, great contests and high scoring. I for one am slowly becoming disillusioned with the way the game is being umpired and as I mentioned earlier, the stupid fixturing, the costs and even the game day gimmicks, but this would kill it for me. We should all be concerned and strongly oppose this.
Warbler 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:42 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

With you 100% - " If it ain't broke don't fix it "

There seem to be too many employees of the AFL who want to change things to justify their jobs .

The crap entertainment ( & why it has to be worn out American hacks ) the AFL feels is required on G/F day is beyond me .

It's the Aussie Rules G/F not the bloody American Super Bowl .

GO PIES
yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:51 am

Zones are a stupid idea and would not work as highlighted by the article.

Re zones in Auskick etc - that is more a bib system to ensure the kids keep some structure, otherwise they all just go to the ball. It is usually not overly enforced via rules just coaching etc to encourage players to keep to their position.

A zone system would be easily exploited and overly-complicates the game for no good reason... other than perhaps justifying the pay of a few AFL hacks! I would also add it is time to get rid of the video replay - it is a joke and hardly ever worthwhile!

Cuthbert Collingwood Aquarius

Once was on fire, now all at sea

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:02 am

cmon we're not talking netball here - the zone system that I and some mates have been talking about is simply two or three players from each team that don't go past a certain point on the field, whether it be halfway or the edge of the square. That article is talking doomsday scenarios - something does need to be done about congestion on the field....
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:10 am

Cuthbert Collingwood wrote:
cmon we're not talking netball here - the zone system that I and some mates have been talking about is simply two or three players from each team that don't go past a certain point on the field, whether it be halfway or the edge of the square. That article is talking doomsday scenarios - something does need to be done about congestion on the field....

I know what you're saying, but the problem is that it starts with 2/3 players from each side not being allowed within a certain area and increases from there every year. Something will be done about congestion once a coaching panel devise a way of countering it - that's how the game evolves. It should be a natural organic progression, not another law and rule enforced to ruin all of what we know and love about the game.
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:13 am

yin-YANG wrote:
Zones are a stupid idea and would not work as highlighted by the article.

Re zones in Auskick etc - that is more a bib system to ensure the kids keep some structure, otherwise they all just go to the ball. It is usually not overly enforced via rules just coaching etc to encourage players to keep to their position.

A zone system would be easily exploited and overly-complicates the game for no good reason... other than perhaps justifying the pay of a few AFL hacks! I would also add it is time to get rid of the video replay - it is a joke and hardly ever worthwhile!

The game is nearing that point of where it's almost over complicated due to the rules or should I say, the multiple interpretations of the rule. I can understand doing it with Auskick, that makes sense but not in the big leagues because it would kill off a players' capacity to run and carry the ball.
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:18 am

Warbler wrote:
With you 100% - " If it ain't broke don't fix it "

There seem to be too many employees of the AFL who want to change things to justify their jobs .

The crap entertainment ( & why it has to be worn out American hacks ) the AFL feels is required on G/F day is beyond me .

It's the Aussie Rules G/F not the bloody American Super Bowl .

GO PIES

That's right. There's people at the top hell bent on change for changes sake. Is it ultimately for the overall benefit of the game? I'd say not. You watch, if this is brought in, it will be modified year in year out and will kill the game. The author of the article does get carried away and yes it's a little doomsday, but it's not far off the mark in terms of what may in fact happen should this rules be brought it.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:20 am

Get rid of the concept of interchange and have 4 injury reserves only. That'd do it.
Cuthbert Collingwood Aquarius

Once was on fire, now all at sea

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:22 am

WarrenerraW wrote:
Cuthbert Collingwood wrote:

I know what you're saying, but the problem is that it starts with 2/3 players from each side not being allowed within a certain area and increases from there every year. Something will be done about congestion once a coaching panel devise a way of countering it - that's how the game evolves. It should be a natural organic progression, not another law and rule enforced to ruin all of what we know and love about the game.

I see your point - it's like the $7 medicare co-payment that quickly becomes $50.

Personally I'm leaning towards the 16 players a side game, though sorry rules of the game committee, I'd be keeping 22 selected players with 2 subs and 4 interchange players.

Yaban 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:38 am

I am yet to see a convincing argument for zones of any sort. There is no congestion issue other than the media congestion of too many media outlets trying to make money off football and the need to invent constant crisis with the game.

If zone rules were brought in it would be another rule change to try and repair problems caused by previous rule changes.

The rules committee should be shut down and a new body set up to review changes made by the committee to judge whether they should be retained.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:52 am

There's been literally hundreds of rule changes over the years and I'm sure there will continue to be.
1969 - free kick for out on the full introduced.
1973 - centre diamond introduced and only 4 players from each side allowed in it at the bounce.
1975- diamond changed to sqaure. Video evidence used at tribunal.
1976- 2 field umpires introduced.
1978-Interchange rule introduced.
1980- line across centre circle introduced.
1981- permitted to run 15m instead of 10m without bouncing the ball.
1988- ball had to be kicked not handballed sfter a free kick awarded. 15m penalty increased to 50m.
1990-player allowed to handball after free kick awarded.
1994-quarters changed from 25 to 20 minutes. Third umpire introduced. Third interchange player allowed.

And I could go on and on.

In the 1800s it was first to 2 goals wins, change ends after a goal, a round ball coulf be used etc... etc...

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:24 am

Yaban wrote:
I am yet to see a convincing argument for zones of any sort. There is no congestion issue other than the media congestion of too many media outlets trying to make money off football and the need to invent constant crisis with the game.

If zone rules were brought in it would be another rule change to try and repair problems caused by previous rule changes.

The rules committee should be shut down and a new body set up to review changes made by the committee to judge whether they should be retained.

+1

I suspect some tongue in cheek in that post but I hear ya!

doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:43 am

I don't think this rule change would change the fabric of the game anymore than it's already been changed.The coaches have already changed the game beyond recognition by insisting that 30 to 40 players must be around the ball at all times.It's made the game so congested and ugly to watch,one rolling maul after another.I really don't watch very much football apart from Collingwood games these days because i find it lacking as a spectacle,and this is from someone who has loved football all her life.I'm sure i'm not the only one who feels this way.I'm not sure if this rule change would make much of a difference,but it's worth a trial in the pre season.
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:52 am

I don't see the need to introduce a new rule, the game will continue to change naturally with time and different players, coaches, etc. Just let the game solve it's problems and stop introducing rules for the sake of making the game evolve.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:09 pm

Why change the rules?
$£$%^%%$ stupid idea tactics will evolve to get around the "maul".
The "slingshot" tactic is one that can work
A long kick can help who knows the torpedo may make a comeback.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: