Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

No wonder we had no one in the TOTC.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:22 pm
Post subject: No wonder we had no one in the TOTC.Reply with quote

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/stephen-silvagnis-selection-as-fullback-in-the-afl-team-of-the-century-is-a-little-known-secret/story-fndv7pj3-1226946216665

Quote:
As for Regan, who carried the most eloquent of nicknames - the Prince of Full-backs - he was out of contention early because the two men on the selection panel who saw him play, Percy Beames and Bill Jacobs, didn’t rate Regan as highly as the Magpies did.

Quote:
‘’It wouldn’t have even got to consideration for Stephen. It’s nothing against him, but we couldn’t consider the other two because they weren’t in the Hall of Fame.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:29 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Well at least there were 2 members of the panel who'd actually seen him play. I obviously didn't so as much as I'd love to have seen him in there it's pretty hard to argue.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:32 pm

Damien wrote:
Well at least there were 2 members of the panel who'd actually seen him play. I obviously didn't so as much as I'd love to have seen him in there it's pretty hard to argue.

Note: The selectors were Allen Aylett, Percy Beames, Bob Davis, Gerard Healy, Jack Irving, Bill Jacobs, David Parkin and Greg Hobbs.

We never had a chance.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:36 pm

My father did see all of the greats from the late 20s onwards. He's still angry about Regan and Marcus Whelan being left out.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:27 pm

A disgrace. We'd never have lost to the Martians with a real full back.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:05 pm

Defender wrote:
Damien wrote:

Note: The selectors were Allen Aylett, Percy Beames, Bob Davis, Gerard Healy, Jack Irving, Bill Jacobs, David Parkin and Greg Hobbs.

We never had a chance.

That prick Hobbs was a well known Magpie hater. Back in the days, long before the internet, I was so incensed by one of his hate filled articles in the Hun, laughing at our GF losses-this was before 90- I typed a personal letter to him, and gave him heaps of shit. Never heard back from the dickhead, and I did give him my name and address too. Parkin loathes us too, bob davis was ok, but the rest all anti Pies, we never had a chance, yes. Exclamation Evil or Very Mad

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Flashman 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:05 pm

I remember asking the question in 1997 after Alistair Lynch kicked 8 on Silvagni whether that now made him the full forward of the century.

Now we know what a pile of shit that whole team was and how compromised the selectors were. They all had their favourites and by the looks of it none of them were Collingwood which is obvious because not a one them was neutral.

For every Percy Beams and Bill Jacobs (who was a grumpy miserable turd at the best of times) who didn't rate Regan that highly there was a Lou Richards, Bob Pratt or Dick Reynolds who rated him as the best full back they ever saw, but of course they didn't get a say.
Even Alan Aylett plugging for David Dench to get the gig retrospectively smacks of bias as well, even if he'd be my choice barring Regan.

That said Gordon Coventry not getting the full forward spot was the single biggest disgrace and made a mockery of the whole exercise. At that stage the games greatest goal kicker, first to kick a century, kicked over 100 in finals alone and the joint record holder of most goals kicked in a GF with 9. He was a no brainer for full forward no matter how good Coleman was.

Total bullshit and the fact the most successful club of them all couldn't get a single player in the side shows that. **** them all.
Doc63 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:11 pm

Flashman wrote:
I remember asking the question in 1997 after Alistair Lynch kicked 8 on Silvagni whether that now made him the full forward of the century.

Now we know what a pile of shit that whole team was and how compromised the selectors were. They all had their favourites and by the looks of it none of them were Collingwood which is obvious because not a one them was neutral.

For every Percy Beams and Bill Jacobs (who was a grumpy miserable turd at the best of times) who didn't rate Regan that highly there was a Lou Richards, Bob Pratt or Dick Reynolds who rated him as the best full back they ever saw, but of course they didn't get a say.
Even Alan Aylett plugging for David Dench to get the gig retrospectively smacks of bias as well, even if he'd be my choice barring Regan.

That said Gordon Coventry not getting the full forward spot was the single biggest disgrace and made a mockery of the whole exercise. At that stage the games greatest goal kicker, first to kick a century, kicked over 100 in finals alone and the joint record holder of most goals kicked in a GF with 9. He was a no brainer for full forward no matter how good Coleman was.

Total bullshit and the fact the most successful club of them all couldn't get a single player in the side shows that. **** them all.

Spot on Flashman. I can understand Regan not getting in, as that selection, whoever got in, was subjective. But the figures don't lie. Coventry should have got in. If he had played for anyone other than Collingwood, he would have.

I have not taken any notice of the Hall of Fame since. Don't care who gets in or who doesn't. The whole concept has been fatally flawed ever since.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:37 pm

Percy Beams was playing for Melbourne over the same period as Regan was playing for Collingwood so he would have seen him twice a year at most

And Bill Jacobs, who the hell was he? A wicketkeeper for Fitzroy who dabbled in radio commentary. A pox on both their houses.

And yes, how Coleman was selected was bullshit. I wonder how much politics was at play considering the League already had named the medal for the leading goal kicker after him.

Gordon Coventry.

First man to kick 100 goals in a season, something he did on 3 other occasions.
First man to kick 1000 goals
First man to play 300 games
5 time premiership player
Holds the record (equal with GAblett) for the most goals in a grand final - 9.

Nothing short of a disgrace that Coleman was selected. If it was all about being cut short in your prime, give it to Hudson.

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:22 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
A disgrace. We'd never have lost to the Martians with a real full back.

Laughing

Quote:
It’s mind-boggling that Dench and Southby were out, and Silvagni was in, because of a rule which didn’t really mean anything.

Fitting, really, given that it was for a team which didn't really mean anything.

I enjoyed the article's stirring conclusion, though:

Quote:
"Not even looking back, I thought straight away either Dench or Southby for that position and we really didn’t go looking for Silvagni."

They had to after learning the rule, a rule which changed history.

Yep, right up there with the Magna Carta and Treaty of Versailles, that one!

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:07 pm

What an Utter F**KING Flogs they are.

Team of the Century is a Joke anyway

collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:06 pm

Flashman wrote:

Absolutely wonderful post. 100% correct. The AFL thought they might buy us a little support for this massive oversight by naming one end of Etihad Stadium after Gordon Coventry. Then true to form they decided that whenever the Peptides play there they can rename it the Lloyd end. Bastards. The AFL is a load of crap, and that's being kind. A Hall of Fame without the most wonderful gentleman footballer who ever lived in it (Bobby Rose) is a joke and not worthy of our support!

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:40 pm

collie dog wrote:
Flashman wrote:

Absolutely wonderful post. 100% correct. The AFL thought they might buy us a little support for this massive oversight by naming one end of Etihad Stadium after Gordon Coventry. Then true to form they decided that whenever the Peptides play there they can rename it the Lloyd end. Bastards. The AFL is a load of crap, and that's being kind. A Hall of Fame without the most wonderful gentleman footballer who ever lived in it (Bobby Rose) is a joke and not worthy of our support!

The AFL is Destroying the Game

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:52 am

So turns out Regan would never have got it anyway with Dench and Southby preferred. Purely subjective and hardly worth getting all worked up about but it does annoy me a little that these lists are regarded as absolute gospel.
Darkstranger 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:12 am

Should be called, only pick who we think get mentioned all the time and only seen sometimes.
(OPWWTGMOSS)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: