Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Season 2014

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
melliot 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:16 pm
Post subject: Season 2014Reply with quote

Can someone end this effing disaster of a season. I'm over it.

Someone please PM when something goes right in 2014?
collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:12 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Until there are wholesale changes in the club's hierarchy it can only get worse.

I am just watching 30 Minute Thrillers on FOX Footy. The last quarter of the 2011 Prelim final. We came back from the dead. Geez that team had some spirit! Dawes kicked 3 goals but was gone when Buckley took over.

How could this spirit disappear so quickly (within a year actually, but it is now ROCK bottom).

melliot 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:27 am

^ I don't think it's rock bottom yet.

Next year will be worse before it's better. I'm not in the "sack Buckely" camp yet. I need to see some improvement next year though. And it won't be in the wins coloumn (cos I only see that naturally getting worse). Its the way we play. I want to see that improve. I want to see some basic elements improve.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:42 am

collie dog wrote:
Until there are wholesale changes in the club's hierarchy it can only get worse.

I am just watching 30 Minute Thrillers on FOX Footy. The last quarter of the 2011 Prelim final. We came back from the dead. Geez that team had some spirit! Dawes kicked 3 goals but was gone when Buckley took over.

How could this spirit disappear so quickly (within a year actually, but it is now ROCK bottom).

Geez for someone supposedly "over Footy", you do spend a lot of time posting here and watching it..... Rolling Eyes
How about doing the latter more and the former less? That would be a win for all situation.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:02 pm

melliot wrote:
^ I don't think it's rock bottom yet.

Next year will be worse before it's better. I'm not in the "sack Buckely" camp yet. I need to see some improvement next year though. And it won't be in the wins coloumn (cos I only see that naturally getting worse). Its the way we play. I want to see that improve. I want to see some basic elements improve.

I'm just not getting the doom and gloom. Yes, we'll miss H and Beamsy if they do move on, add Ball and Maxwell going and there is a few players to cover but I see it as an opportunity for a couple of the kids to take the next step, not a trigger to have us spiralling down the ladder.

Just getting Reid and Brown back will be a major boost. Several of the kids will have uninterupted preseasons (think Seedsman, Kennedy, Sinclair, Williams, Fasolo, and Karnezis) which has to be good.

I'm still bullish about 2015.
doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:13 pm

The midfield is the biggest problem though.If Beams goes,then we will have one of the worst midfields in the A.F.L,and as everyone knows you can't go very far in football today without a decent midfield.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:43 pm

doriswilgus wrote:
The midfield is the biggest problem though.If Beams goes,then we will have one of the worst midfields in the A.F.L,and as everyone knows you can't go very far in football today without a decent midfield.

More than likely but we've got Adams to offset the loss of Ball, finding a Beams replacement would be tougher. Hopefully 1 or 2 of Thomas, Williams, Sinclair, Kennedy, Freeman, Seedsman, Dwyer, Elliott, Martin, Fasolo, Broomhead, or Langdon can step up to offset that a bit. If Martin could deliver on his VFL form he'd go close.

We've still got Pendles and Sidebottom stepped up a level in 2014. Witts and Grundy should both be better again in 2015. There are +'s.

I think our list remains balanced in terms positional coverage, just light on for hard nosed experience. Can't predict how that will impact over a long season.
regan is true fullback 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:44 pm

we had a crap midfield, about the same time as the Judd trade, i remember the Showpony supporters mocking us.

that's why we had to get Luke Ball, because we were being humiliated by the Geelong midfield.

It can turn around quickly, remember 2004 and 2005. but you have got to get those recruiting decisions right. 20 years ago we lost Fraser, Chalmers, McCartney, Lehman, Starcevich Shaw and Daicos, and apart from Buckley, we received stuffall for them. 10 years of bad recruiting led to spoons rather than finals.
melliot 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:59 pm

All these young names you all mention, I agree, look like promising talents and I have confidence they will turn into a range of quality to be on our list for some time.

However, most are <50 games and it won't be till they are 50-70 games that they will find consistent form through a season. They'll play a good game and then 2 or 3 below par. And that is why next year we will be at our worst in the cycle. We've lost experienced players and the most the youth haven't reached 50+ games.
Museman 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:07 pm

melliot wrote:
All these young names you all mention, I agree, look like promising talents and I have confidence they will turn into a range of quality to be on our list for some time.

However, most are <50 games and it won't be till they are 50-70 games that they will find consistent form through a season. They'll play a good game and then 2 or 3 below par. And that is why next year we will be at our worst in the cycle. We've lost experienced players and the most the youth haven't reached 50+ games.

Then we will trade them, sack them, force them out and rebuild again...

It's a master plan Cool
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:35 pm

melliot wrote:

Agree, it's all speculative. But how many people, if asked after round 23 this year, would not have had most of Elliott, Williams, Frost, Langdon, Adams, Witts, Keeffe, Sinclair, Seedsman, Grundy, Fasolo, Broomhead, Kennedy in or about their best 22's. And that's because they have for the most part performed relatively consistently and generally shown great improvement despite the relative inexperience which in and of itself gives cause for optimism.
melliot 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:41 pm

jackcass wrote:
melliot wrote:

Agree, it's all speculative. But how many people, if asked after round 23 this year, would not have had most of Elliott, Williams, Frost, Langdon, Adams, Witts, Keeffe, Sinclair, Seedsman, Grundy, Fasolo, Broomhead, Kennedy in or about their best 22's. And that's because they have for the most part performed relatively consistently and generally shown great improvement despite the relative inexperience which in and of itself gives cause for optimism.

And our win Loss was 3-8 for the 2nd part of the year, while the kids were playing and we lost a bit experience.

I hope your right and we blitz it in 2015. But my expectation is now around the 10th-14th positions.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:19 pm

melliot wrote:
jackcass wrote:
melliot wrote:

And our win Loss was 3-8 for the 2nd part of the year, while the kids were playing and we lost a bit experience.

I hope your right and we blitz it in 2015. But my expectation is now around the 10th-14th positions.

It was 8-3 early in the year and we were still playing a lot of kids.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:21 pm

jackcass wrote:
melliot wrote:
jackcass wrote:
melliot wrote:

It was 8-3 early in the year and we were still playing a lot of kids.

But the bottom line is by the end of the season (11-11 and honestly, that flattered us), we looked like a bottom 4 feeder...

neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:22 pm

Wait till November and the trade period
Half insanity and half full-blooded optimism

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: