Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Have we given the midfield tagger away?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:18 am
Post subject: Have we given the midfield tagger away?Reply with quote

Caff (before the injury) was doing a good job on Heater. He did not offer much in terms of attacking footy/scoreboard pressure - but I think it was the right move.

Going forward I like the idea of dropping the tagger and having on-ballers who win the ball and apply pressure to the opposition when required! Good teams have too many players for an effective tag to work most weeks - I think we should back our mids - Pendles, Beams, Swan, Adams, Sidey... maybe even Williams? to get the job done!

I prefer the defensive forward... with our young backline - Goldy is better suited down back - so we need someone else to play that role each week. This is the more crucial shut-down role I believe because teams rely so much on starting attacks from defence.

yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:06 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - response is overwhelming... maybe I should have taken the piss like a good Hiss rant or spread some vile old tired troll comments to get a bite instead of a footy question - perhaps the title gave too much away and I should have said... Have we???

I noted one of the Giants mids had 40-odd touches... still I prefer to have a defensive mindset for all mids when needed rather than one tagger with a defensive mid role!

woodys_world69 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:12 am

goldsack is a better kick, faster, taller
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:25 am

Isn't Blair a defensive forward in addition to Goldsack. One too many for mine. Neither hits the scoreboard sufficiently, so two is depriving us of scoring power.

Sympathetic to your views on Macaffer. I have felt like we have been 3 mids vs 4 in centre bounces for much of the year. Perhaps he comes in off the wing?

Anyhow our main problem is having our full team available. Apparently Davoren has already survived the review. Unbelievable that a review of a season which has gone rapidly downhill for injuries in just the last two weeks has already cleared the strength and conditioning coach if the media are to be believed.

yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:35 am

Goldy certainly has more flexibility and even with low numbers has an impact! With Caff out for next year it will be interesting to see if Bux goes for another mid tagger - I hope not.

I also think 2 defensive forwards is one too many!

For next year... We could let JT run in the middle and play with a defensive mindset - i.e. to beat his opponent - but still have an attacking side to his game. I think the Hawks have done this well with Langford to bring him into footy and learn the ropes etc.

melliot 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:27 am

Marley Williams as the tagger next year IMO.
Breadcrawl 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:37 am

melliot wrote:
Marley Williams as the tagger next year IMO.

I like it.

Has all necessary attributes and it's a great way to learn the art of being a mid. He'd be Licca-like I reckon

yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:24 am

I also like the idea of Marley as a mid... he is a hard nut and would add some much needed pressure.

He is similar to Swan and might be able to do some of the grunt work to support Adams and JT. I just want him to be more than a tagger and provide some attack as well as defence.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: