Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Our core midfielders going forward

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:51 pm
Post subject: Our core midfielders going forwardReply with quote

Assuming we draft Mitch Clark and Darcy Moore, I suggest our ruck and KP stocks are very healthy, considering we've got Grundy, Witts, Frost, Reid, Brown, Keeffe, Gault, White and Cloke.

What we need to be a top 4 side is a core group of about 8-10 top midfielders. FWIW, I reckon we already have the makings of a great collection of mids, providing a mixture of speed, skill and grunt, in Pendles, Sidey, Beams, Freeman, Elliott, Adams, Sinclair, Williams, Broomhead, Kennedy and maybe Thomas. Of course, we've also got Swanny, but in light of his injury plagued 2014 season, coupled with his age, he should be considered a potential bonus, if he can rediscover his old self.

The great thing is that, bar Swanny, none of our mids are old, and most are very young, meaning the best is yet to come.

Given a good run with injuries, I see no reason why we won't be a top 4 side again in a couple of years.
Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:11 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you Rudeboy. What is fundamental is that these players build a good bond and enjoy playing toghethor. However we could do with a couple of big bodied players in that mix (a young Dane Swan would be ideal even a Fife!) just to add a that bit of "physicality" that is still missing in our group. Freeman and Williams could also mature into those roles so it's going to be an interesting ride. Can't wait to see how we develop into 2015.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:15 pm

To Sorry Mossi I don't do math.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:27 pm

we want them to also go back. Mr. Green

i am very relaxed about our prospects in the next 3-5 years. we'll be back.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:28 pm

What for?
MJ23 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:34 pm

Of our current midfield group.

Who has the potential to be a Jordan Lewis, Mitchell, I Smith, Langford ?
or Hannebery, Parker, J Kennedy, Jack ?
or Gray, Wingard, Boak, Wines ?

Im talking about the hard running, physical and imposing midfielder.

We have Beams.
Pendles is elite but I wouldn't put him in this class.
Daisy at his best played this way.

OF the Kids all I can see is Adams and JT and Im just not sure this will get it done.

Stinger 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:38 pm

I'm only basing this on 1 nanosecond of a NAB Cup game but I'll say Freeman has the potential. He's what - 19? and comes pre-made in the physical department. He's only going to get harder, hopefully in the Dangerfield mould.
Stinger 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:38 pm

^^ What he said ^^
MJ23 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:46 pm

Stinger wrote:
I'm only basing this on 1 nanosecond of a NAB Cup game but I'll say Freeman has the potential. He's what - 19? and comes pre-made in the physical department. He's only going to get harder, hopefully in the Dangerfield mould.

Yes, could be right. Him and Sharenburg are hard to get a gauge on as we have seen great players not play games before.

Marley is another however I just don't think as a mid he will get enough of the ball. Its different playing behind the footy and reading the play to on ball.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:56 pm

Yep, I agree. Would add that not only do we already have Pendles, Sidey, Beams, Freeman, Elliott, Adams, Sinclair, Williams, Broomhead, Kennedy, Thomas, and Swanny, there are a few others who have midfield asperations. Players like Karnezis and Marsh, even Seedsman and Langdon. Hopefully Scharenberg in a couple of year.

On top of that, we have White as a guy who generally only goes into the midfield to do relief ruckwork. I'd like to see him have an occasional run as a ruck rover type similar to what Roughie does at the Hawks. Could be the making of him.

Still an area I'd like to see bolstered come draft day though.
BBHS Cancer

bbhs

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:02 pm

A Leon Davis type would be very nice from the draft.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:11 pm

BBHS wrote:

Yep, a Davis/Didak/Krakouer/Dick/Medhurst type small forward would be handy.
SuperStar Beams Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:23 pm

^^ That is one key we need, we need a crumber forward who can make something out of nothing.

We have a Medhurst type player in Elliott in that he can play tall or small but we need another small to mainly play as the front and centre man.

Bigger bodies will come as these boys grow, but if they can get there core strength up size doesn't matter to much as long as they aren't light.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:03 pm

jackcass wrote:
BBHS wrote:

Yep, a Davis/Didak/Krakouer/Dick/Medhurst type small forward would be handy.

I actually think that's where Sidey plays his best footy. I remember him kicking 10 goals, mainly as a forward pocket in the U18s Grand Final. His problem atm, is that he is so good and has such a great tank that he is used all over the ground. With a more settled team, I'd like to see him played closer to goal more often.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:09 pm
Post subject: Re: Our core midfielders going forwardReply with quote

[quote="RudeBoy"]Assuming we draft Mitch Clark and Darcy Moore, I suggest our ruck and KP stocks are very healthy, considering we've got Grundy, Witts, Frost, Reid, Brown, Keeffe, Gault, White and Cloke.

What we need to be a top 4 side is a core group of about 8-10 top midfielders. FWIW, I reckon we already have the makings of a great collection of mids, providing a mixture of speed, skill and grunt, in Pendles, Sidey, Beams, Freeman, Elliott, Adams, Sinclair, Williams, Broomhead, Kennedy and maybe Thomas. Of course, we've also got Swanny, but in light of his injury plagued 2014 season, coupled with his age, he should be considered a potential bonus, if he can rediscover his old self.

The great thing is that, bar Swanny, none of our mids are old, and most are very young, meaning the best is yet to come.

Rudeboy I tend to agree

I have concerns on some of our players with disposal ability. We have to many players who by hand or foot or both have issues consistently.
Pendles is fine and will be the leader of the pack

Elliott looks to be improving quicker than some
Williams inconsistent but has shown he can be very good at times
Sinclair needs more work
Kennedy needs more work
Adams patchy but has a huge work ethic
Broomhead nearly the best by foot of all the young group
Thomas needs more work

Then there is Swanny who I hope best isn't behind him as he could teach some of these young guys about gut running efforts and line busting

Leaves us with Sidey & Beamer
Both have issues in terms of consistent disposal effiency. Both are undoubted talents for sure but we need them to become elite every week and lead the younger guys.
Sidey has more class than Beams seems to have that god given class look about him and reads the game very well but his disposal by foot compared to hand is huge. 89.2% efficiency by hand over his career but only 58.6% by foot by the end of 2014. Understanding the pressure he was under a lot of the times in the second half of 2014 doesn't help his efficiency at all. Plus the difference between his absolute best to his quieter games needs to lessen ie like Pendles. An very astute player but we need him to become our gut running high efficiency type player.
Beams has oozed work ethic since he arrived. Doesn't look as skillful as a Pendles or sidey but makes up for it in continued efforts to get to the next contest. What I like about his game the most is he doesn't get that soft return handball 1-2-3 possession a lot of mids do. He needs to improve his tank as he fades out of games at times. One of our best kicks on the run or from a set shot a goal. His biggest weakness is he let's his opponent run free at times and needs to improve the defensive side of his game. He wins a lot of his own and others ball and needs to keep up that work ethic.
Both guys are still only 24 so there best is yet to come and can be the generals of the next generation of mids coming through.

I'm especially excited about Freeman. Has the pace and showed skills at under age level and if he can transfer this into AFL we have a future elite player on our hands.

Rudeboy I'm with you I like the mix we have would love 1 or 2 more big bodied types to clear some paths for our skilled players.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: