Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Making the grade.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:24 pm
Post subject: Making the grade.Reply with quote

As we watch our youngsters slowly develop (too slowly for some) it may be an instructive excercise to try and work out just what is needed to step up from junior ranks to the elite competition.

Firstly there is the body to consider, these youngsters are generally still growing with the slight awkwardness that brings, due to unbalanced muscalature / soft tissue stretching and strengthening to accomodate / take advantage of a growing skeleton. It really should not be a surprise that their performances will fluctuate purely because of this.

Secondly as sportsmen aspiring to the pinnacle they are subject to much higher scrutiny than their non sporting age mates and this scrutiny extends to the family and friends which can be pretty daunting at that age.

Thirdly they are exposed to inquiring minds within the club seeking to motivate and prepare them for the next step in their careers. More is being asked of them - much more than in their football creche careers - physically, mentally and emotionally.

Fourthly they are expected to maintain concentration levels longer - it is a skill but can take time to develop.

Finally (from me) they become a breed apart - in a sense - in that they are held up as examples and expected to represent both club and code at the drop of a hat and most of all NOT misbehave in an excessive way in public (something young men are very apt to do).

In short they have a helluva lot to learn so I'm more than willing to hold back on the criticism and not heap massive expectations on them too early.
MJ23 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:31 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit too much logic here for Nicks Wink

I think this is spot on and is the single biggest challenge for the footy dept.

How often are players let go after 2-4 years and then turn up at another club where they become regular senior players.

I look at Ramsay at the moment. I think he is showing more and more signs that he might actually make the grade. Im not 100% convinced that he wont just end up a handy depth player but if you were to consider the full story perhaps more people would hold back on writing him off.

He was an underage recruit , like Reid onto the list as a 17 year old.
He is a very hard at it player and with his light frame has had some bash/crash injuries limiting the possible games played.
He has now put some size on and his attack on the footy is supported by a body that can cope much better with this game style.
He now is only limited by the disposal efficiency and ability to play his assigned role for the team.

Sinclair for me is another example. I was at the swans game last year and his performance was extremely underrated. We missed his attack and run when he was injured last year although given he was not well liked by a number of supporters he was not considered a loss. Watching him break the lines as well as take the game on through an extra step in congestion allowing the ball to break free was a big part of the win sat night.

These sorts of players might not be the Pendles of the world but can easily be the Johnsons or Tooveys - Much needed players

GlovemanGayfer Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:54 pm

Every player who played over age in the TAC cup last year got drafted (so i've been told). I know the logic here is that clubs want a better look at them but it must work not only as a motivational tool but also sorts out those that really want it from those who merely think they do. Langdon is an excellent example of our current crop of players but more widely we as a club have made great use of players who have come to AFL football the hard way.

AFL clubs know this now and its clear to see with the amount of mature footballers being rookie drafted etc.

I still remember reading a great article by Dermie on Jack Watts who talked about the difficulty of dominating at under 18's but then finding everything harder to make the step up. All players are bigger, all are faster and your physical gifts are no longer enough.

I think the classic example of your point is Tom Scully. His pre-draft mentality was first class and stage managed to the finest detail. Clubs would have seen him as everything they wanted. As it turned out though his development had already peaked and he was the finished product. You can recruit a 26/7 year old and you know what you are going to get as we did with dwyer and martin and more clubs are seeing the use in this. I think footy is at a very interesting place at the moment in trying to balance the next bright young thing and recycling the right bit part player to fill your gaps.
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:00 pm

GMG your point is likely valid but it doesn't remove the grey area of recruiting - just shifts and lessens it a little.

Generally those overlooked for one reason or another who do have what it takes are much harder at it by the time the next draft comes around so in that way sorts some out.

It does beg the question though . . . are we as a competition setting our kids up for a fall because we are arranging the draft a year or two early than optimum?
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:25 pm

Good thread, good contributions. Previous comments about success being determined by the top few players are on the money. Time and time again, partic in GFs when the best play the best, history shows that the top half dozen players exert the biggest influence on the result of the game ( for the winners at least )
Using that analogy, i would much rather the club add one more A grader into the team, than have three marginally better footballers replace the likes of white, blair and goldsack. These guys are still ok role players who know their limitations and understand the game plan. Sure their time will come to be replaced but i just dont think its anytime soon.
Whether the A graders we crave are already at the club or not, is for another thread.
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:44 pm

Good points Pies although even the finest of A grade talents need the help of VERY good support players around them.

I recall the GF between Geelong and Hawthorn many years ago (sry can't remember the year) when Gary Snr almost single handedly dragged Geelong accross the line for a famous flag.

However there just wasn't enough other contributers of quality to help him get the job done.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:49 pm

Sorry D D, i posted the above in the wrong thread !
I shouldnt attempt these posts on an iphone.

As for your O P, I completely agree. Its frightening the additional " training " these kids receive above and beyond the usual life lessons. ( maximising physical capabilities, social awareness, social media, etc )
Im a big believer in surrounding yourself with the right people. If these kids have good level headed parents, are advised by good mentors and surround themselves with quality friends, they are a good chance reach their full potential both as human beings and elite sportsmen.
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:56 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
Sorry D D, i posted the above in the wrong thread !
I shouldnt attempt these posts on an iphone.

As for your O P, I completely agree. Its frightening the additional " training " these kids receive above and beyond the usual life lessons. ( maximising physical capabilities, social awareness, social media, etc )
Im a big believer in surrounding yourself with the right people. If these kids have good level headed parents, are advised by good mentors and surround themselves with quality friends, they are a good chance reach their full potential both as human beings and elite sportsmen.

Agreed Pies and this is an area where Maxy excelled - say what you like about his abilities or lack of them on the field he was a helluva clubman and a great mentor.
GlovemanGayfer Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:21 am

droversdog65 wrote:
GMG your point is likely valid but it doesn't remove the grey area of recruiting - just shifts and lessens it a little.

Generally those overlooked for one reason or another who do have what it takes are much harder at it by the time the next draft comes around so in that way sorts some out.

It does beg the question though . . . are we as a competition setting our kids up for a fall because we are arranging the draft a year or two early than optimum?

I know that there are several clubs insiders at our club who think the draft age should be lifted. Interestingly though there seems to be a great difference within clubs as to what the "welfare" department think compared to the "football" department. Player development v wins on the board?
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:30 am

GlovemanGayfer wrote:
droversdog65 wrote:

I know that there are several clubs insiders at our club who think the draft age should be lifted. Interestingly though there seems to be a great difference within clubs as to what the "welfare" department think compared to the "football" department. Player development v wins on the board?

If you increased the draft age you would have certain players dominating the TAC competition for two or more years until they get drafted and that would hinder their own development. To counter that you would have to introduce a national underage competition to raise the standard and even out the competition. That would increase the costs to the AFL of having a feeder competition involving teenagers travelling the length of the country weekly to play football.
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:18 am

GlovemanGayfer wrote:
droversdog65 wrote:

Understood GMG it's a quandry that perhaps the players association might have some interest in.
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:21 am

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
GlovemanGayfer wrote:
droversdog65 wrote:

If you increased the draft age you would have certain players dominating the TAC competition for two or more years until they get drafted and that would hinder their own development. To counter that you would have to introduce a national underage competition to raise the standard and even out the competition. That would increase the costs to the AFL of having a feeder competition involving teenagers travelling the length of the country weekly to play football.

Yes it's certainly a balancing act, I would be very interested to know if anyone has any figures regarding the amount of players overlooked in the draft that go on to make it in subsequent drafts. Again perhaps as its a player welfare issue the players association could get involved.
jimmmy01 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:46 am
Post subject: recruiting 18YO's or 23YO's?Reply with quote

Interesting comment from Sanderson who is now head of coaching at the academy. He was asked whether he thought the draft age should be increased and he said that he thought it was better to get them earleir Used refered to Heeney and Crouch as underage recruits given the chance to develop in the AFL system and the benefit of this. He also said that there was no expectation that players played AFL level younger, just that they got up-skilled in the system sooner. Some players look capable at 18 but many don't

He also said that recruiters didn't choose kids to play at 18 but at 22-23. If this is the case this last point has me wondering the impact of free agency, and the push to reduce the eligibility from 8 years to 6 on that form of thinking. it doesn't make sense to get them young and develop them, only to see them leave in their prime years.
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:32 am
Post subject: Re: recruiting 18YO's or 23YO's?Reply with quote

jimmmy01 wrote:
Interesting comment from Sanderson who is now head of coaching at the academy. He was asked whether he thought the draft age should be increased and he said that he thought it was better to get them earleir Used refered to Heeney and Crouch as underage recruits given the chance to develop in the AFL system and the benefit of this. He also said that there was no expectation that players played AFL level younger, just that they got up-skilled in the system sooner. Some players look capable at 18 but many don't

He also said that recruiters didn't choose kids to play at 18 but at 22-23. If this is the case this last point has me wondering the impact of free agency, and the push to reduce the eligibility from 8 years to 6 on that form of thinking. it doesn't make sense to get them young and develop them, only to see them leave in their prime years.

Truth regarding your last point jimmmy I have been 'ranting' on about free agency forcing clubs to become creches and being inadequately compensated for the huge expense of getting a young man up to AFL level, only to have him poached.

Beams of course is a prime example, we stuck by that young man through thick and thin and spent major coin training him up and keeping him out of trouble, only to have him stitch us up when it suited him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: