Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Rule question: man on the mark

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:20 pm
Post subject: Rule question: man on the markReply with quote

Fasolo marked a beautiful Sidebottom pass in the second quarter, thought about giving off, then went back and booted truly from the 50.

Sidebottom and a Brisbane player tagging him were nearby. Sidebottom tried a clever trick - at least I think thats what he was doing - when he ran close to Fasolo (who was lining up), then stepped across Fasolo's line, crossing a few yards in front of Fas and between him and goals. Sidey's tagger, wearing him close, was smart enough to go around behind Fasolo to avoid giving away a 50 metre penalty.

But how come Sidebottom was allowed to run across the mark in the first place? I don't know the rule, but if I was umpiring I'd blow the whistle and either call "play on" or award a free to Brisbane.

What is the rule, Nicksters?

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:26 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure how sidey could be considered to have infringed given that we have possession of the ball.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:30 pm

one thing i haven't quite worked out is the "protected zone". twice this weekend i have seen a player take a mark and when getting ready to line up for goal an oppo player has been pinged for being in the protected zone. aa 50 got awarded. i didn't see anything that the player had done anything wrong. on both occasions it looked like overzealous and pedantic umpiring.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:38 pm

The protected zone must only apply to the opposition. It's how Rich was able to kick the goal at the start of the last.

Used to see Bucks and Ryan Lonie do it often too when the kicker wasn't quite confident of kicking from 50m.

Also noticed Harry on Saturday do his old trick of shepherding the guy on the mark. If that's legal (and I assume it is) I'm not sure why we don't see it more often. Harry did it very well at times as a magpie.

MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:48 pm

18.1 WHEN IMPOSED
Where a field Umpire has awarded a Free Kick or a Mark to a Player, the field Umpire shall also award a Fifty-Metre Penalty in favour of that Player if the field Umpire is of the opinion that any Player or Official from the opposing side:

(a) has encroached the mark; [see 16.1.1]

(e) enters the Protected Area, except when the Player is accompanying or following within 5 metres of their opponent; [see 16.1.2]

16.1 STANDING THE MARK AND TEN-METRE PROTECTED AREA

16.1.1 Standing the Mark
When a Player is awarded a Mark or Free Kick or is Kicking into play after a Behind has been scored, one Player from the opposing Team may stand at the position on the Playing Surface where the Mark or Free Kick was awarded or where the field Umpire otherwise directs the Player to stand. The position on the Playing Surface where the opposing Player stands is known as “the mark”.
16.1.2 Protected Area

16.1.2 Protected Area
The Protected Area is a corridor which extends from 5 metres either side of the mark to 5 metres either side of, and a 5-metre radius behind, the Player with the football, as illustrated in Diagram 2. No Player shall enter and remain in the Protected Area unless the field Umpire calls “Play On” or the Player is accompanying or following within 5 metres of their opponent.

Full rules and diagram 2 (couldn't copy and paste diagram).

http://www.aflcommunityclub.com.au/fileadmin/user_upload/Umpire_AFL/Laws_of_the_Game/2015_Laws_Of_Aust_Football.pdf

16.1.2 seemingly applies to players of both sides, but haven't found a penalty applicable to player of same side. Please post if anyone finds it.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:10 pm

Interesting, it seems that Sidey's opponent may have been able to follow him through without giving up the penalty.

Quote:
16.1 STANDING THE MARK AND TEN-METRE PROTECTED AREA
16.1.1 Standing the Mark
When a Player is awarded a Mark or Free Kick or is Kicking into play
after a Behind has been scored, one Player from the opposing Team
may stand at the position on the Playing Surface where the Mark or
Free Kick was awarded or where the field Umpire otherwise directs
the Player to stand. The position on the Playing Surface where the
opposing Player stands is known as “the mark”.
16.1.2 Protected Area
The Protected Area is a corridor which extends from 5 metres either
side of the mark to 5 metres either side of, and a 5-metre radius behind,
the Player with the football, as illustrated in Diagram 2. No Player shall
enter and remain in the Protected Area unless the field Umpire calls
“Play On” or the Player is accompanying or following within 5 metres of
their opponent.

http://www.aflcommunityclub.com.au/fileadmin/user_upload/Umpire_AFL/Laws_of_the_Game/2015_Laws_Of_Aust_Football.pdf

While that may not make it clear why Sidey can get through, the rules on when a 50 metre is paid make it clearer.

Quote:
18. FIFTY-METRE PENALTY
18.1 WHEN IMPOSED
Where a field Umpire has awarded a Free Kick or a Mark to a Player, the field
Umpire shall also award a Fifty-Metre Penalty in favour of that Player if the field
Umpire is of the opinion that any Player or Official from the opposing side:
(a) has encroached the mark;
(b) engages in Time Wasting;
(c) uses abusive, insulting, threatening or obscene language towards an
Umpire;
(d) behaves in an abusive, insulting, threatening or obscene manner towards
an Umpire or disputes the decision of an Umpire;
(e) enters the Protected Area, except when the Player is accompanying or
following within 5 metres of their opponent;
(f) has not returned the football directly and on the full to the Player awarded
the Free Kick or Mark;
(g) engages in any other conduct for which a Free Kick would ordinarily be
awarded, in accordance with 16.7 (b);
(h) when not in the immediate contest, holds a Player after that Player has
Marked the football or who has been awarded a Free Kick; or
(i) a Player in the contest who unreasonably holds a Player after that Player
has Marked the football or who has been awarded a Free Kick.

Key here is "opposing side"

So since the Collingwood player had the free kick, a player from the same team may encroach the protected area but not someone from the other team, unless directly following. So Sidey was allowed to do what he did and the Bears player should have known that the rules allowed him to follow.

MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:21 pm

I read it that Sidey can go through the line between mark and player with free kick/mark because 16.1.1/18.1(a) only applies to opposing players. If opponent had gone through then 50 m (18.1(a)) - no exception for within 5m of opponent. Opponent can go behind (inside protected area) if within 5m of Sidey.

16.1.2 could be made clearer by expressly applying only to opposing player (as there seems to be no penalty for player of same side doing it).

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:34 pm

You can follow your opponant through the mark but you wouldn't want to be to far behind him, I remember the incident in question and the Lions players should have followed Sidders.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:42 pm

Defender wrote:
You can follow your opponant through the mark but you wouldn't want to be to far behind him, I remember the incident in question and the Lions players should have followed Sidders.

Not as the rules are written or applied. It would be encroaching on the mark (rather than entering the protected area) and there is no allowance for being within 5m of opponent. He could have run behind, but not in front of player with the free kick/mark. Numerous 50m penalties have been given where the player runs in front chasing his opponent. You even see the guy with the ball step back sometimes to make it harder for the opponent not to run through the mark.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:47 pm
Post subject: Re: Rule question: man on the markReply with quote

Tannin wrote:

I don't know the rule, but if I was umpiring I'd blow the whistle and either call "play on" or award a free to Brisbane.

Confused Question Confused

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:16 pm

MightyMagpie wrote:
(e) enters the Protected Area, except when the Player is accompanying or following within 5 metres of their opponent

Ahh, thankyou. There is my answer. It's not that Sidey wasn't allowed to run through, it's that his opponent was also, but for some reason didn't. Mystery solved.

(None of this applied in my day. Back when I played, if you took a mark, everybody stopped while you walked back, found your teeth, waved to your mum, ran in and roosted it out on the full.)

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:41 pm

MightyMagpie wrote:
Defender wrote:

Not as the rules are written or applied. It would be encroaching on the mark (rather than entering the protected area) and there is no allowance for being within 5m of opponent. He could have run behind, but not in front of player with the free kick/mark. Numerous 50m penalties have been given where the player runs in front chasing his opponent. You even see the guy with the ball step back sometimes to make it harder for the opponent not to run through the mark.

You're wrong.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:51 pm

Defender wrote:
MightyMagpie wrote:
Defender wrote:

You're wrong.

The relevant rules are quoted in black and white (as all things should be) above. I see no support for your proposition there or in the actual game day umpiring - have you (or anyone) seen an opposition player run between the mark and the player with the free kick/mark and not have a 50m penalty awarded? You just don't see it happen (eg the example in the OP) because the rules provide for a 50m penalty and the players have been coached accordingly.

Last edited by MightyMagpie on Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
sixpoints 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:53 pm

The rule cited changed at the start of the 2014 season.
With the modern nature of the game - (running running running), it was deemed unfair that team mates could sprint across the mark and escape their tagger/opponent who could not.
So if you are within the 5 metres off you both go.
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:56 pm

sixpoints wrote:
The rule cited changed at the start of the 2014 season.
With the modern nature of the game - (running running running), it was deemed unfair that team mates could sprint across the mark and escape their tagger/opponent who could not.
So if you are within the 5 metres off you both go.

The rules quoted above are the 2015 rules and don't say that. The 5 metres ONLY applies to the protected area, not crossing the mark.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: