Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Knee to the head - no free ?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:18 pm
Post subject: Knee to the head - no free ?Reply with quote

One of the biggest anomalies in our game (Aussie Rules) involves the 'speccy'.

Again, yesterday, a perfect example. A Lion's player goes up behind one of our players (please, someone, name the players), clearly knees him to the back of the head, knocking his head forward, but takes the mark.

Mark paid, amid much cheering from the Lions' fans. Even called "possible mark of the year" by a commentator.

With the AFL (properly) putting so much importance on head contact - with accompanying penalties - why, in cases like this, is that factor ignored ?

We see it time and again. Player from behind climbs all over an oppo player, often putting knee/s in the back or on the shoulders of that player but takes and is paid the mark.

What makes this situation even more farcical is this: if player from behind doesn't take the mark, he's penalised - as he should be. Especially considering just a touch in the back, usually from a backman to a forward, draws a free, these days.

Yes, I agree, the speccy is certainly that - spectacular - but where, in the rules does it say all rules usually applying to the 'push in the back', 'high contact' and 'contact to the head' rules are to be ignored - if the offending player takes a mark ?

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:32 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

the question is not about whether the player takes the mark or not, it is about whether the ball was in the vicinity of the contest.

if a high flying mark is dropped, as the long as the ball is in the vicinity there should be no free paid against. of course if a player flies way too early, for example, then the free is paid.

in the case of head high contact, yes it is a nuance of our game that a knee to the back of the head is no free, but neither is knee to the back or ribs. If its part of a marking contest its fair game, as it should be.
sixpoints 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:36 pm

Varcoe kneed Rockliff in the back while attempting to mark. Busted some of his ribs and punctured a lung. No free awarded and Rockliff will now miss a few weeks.
This is how the game has been played for 120 years, even though the physical damage was severe, no free was warranted in this instance as Varcoe was legitimately attempting a mark.
Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:45 pm

sixpoints wrote:
Varcoe kneed Rockliff in the back while attempting to mark. Busted some of his ribs and punctured a lung. No free awarded and Rockliff will now miss a few weeks.
This is how the game has been played for 120 years, even though the physical damage was severe, no free was warranted in this instance as Varcoe was legitimately attempting a mark.

correct. also over 120 years most forwards with a mean streak have taken advantage of the rule and done some damage. that is why it take some guts to stand up in a marking contest and I applaud players that do.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:54 pm

bewick took the mark didn't he? also, in addition to the ball being within a five metre vicinity, if a player has eyes only for the ball then the rest becomes pretty much irrelevant.
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:01 pm

So, JW, the italicised part of my last sentence IS the case.

My point is, how is that worded in the rules ?

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:02 pm

While I don't agree with the example that Donny used as a case for a free kick I've had a problem with a few players over the years that have in my view intentionally exaggerated the positioning of there knee beyond what was required when going for marks.

Fevola was a prime example of such and blatantly IMO used his knee as a battering ram on occasions and was able to get away with.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:07 pm

Donny wrote:
So, JW, the italicised part of my last sentence IS the case.

My point is, how is that worded in the rules ?

yep. possibly because it's within the spirit of the game. i would consider those actions as instinctive rather than a blatant attempt to gain an unfair advantage.

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:59 pm

Didak was a master at jumping early and putting an opponent out of the contest with his boot or knee. It all comes down to holding the mark pretty much.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:39 pm

Watching the tribunal results this week makes me think thuggery will return in a big way in '15.
yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:40 am

AFL is a contact sport… and there are circumstances where contact is permitted as per the rules of the game: (See below) Note the last point - (e) That is as close as it comes, although 15.4.5 also indicates that contact to the back is permitted if the intention was to mark the footy. Head high contact is not mentioned though? More the spirit of letting the player go for the mark - if he marks the footy his intention was clear and any infringement is allowed.

15.4.3 Permitted Contact
Other than the Prohibited Contact identified under Law 15.4.5, a Player may make contact with another Player:
(a) by using their hip, shoulder, chest, arms or open hands provided
that the football is no more than 5 metres away from the Player;
(b) by pushing the other Player with an open hand in the chest or side of the body provided that the football is no more than 5 metres away from the Player;
(c) by executing a Correct Tackle;
(d) by executing a Shepherd provided that the football is no more
than 5 metres away from the Player; or
(e) if such contact is incidental to a marking contest and the Player is legitimately Marking or attempting to Mark the football.

MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:03 am

it's the vibe.....
didick 

didick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:32 am

Cam wrote:
Watching the tribunal results this week makes me think thuggery will return in a big way in '15.

Yeah I still can't get my head around why Sidey copped an accepted 4 week spell last year for what I would refer to as a reflex action, whereas Shaw from the Suns gets two weeks down to one after jumping into a contest, forearm raised with apparent intent, and draws blood on his opponents forehead. I assume the only differentiating factor is the Dees player got some treatment but continued to play. What a croc. If the intent is there but you are fortunate enough not to significantly injure someone why should you get bugget all? Continued inconsistency and make it up as you go from the AFL.

Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:37 am

MagpieMad wrote:
it's the vibe.....

Very Happy

the match review panel operates on this mantra.
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:49 pm

Thanks, yin-YANG.

15.4.3 Permitted Contact (e).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: