Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Federal Budget 2015

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 6:33 pm
Post subject: Federal Budget 2015Reply with quote

Promises to be interesting.

One of the proposed changes will be to the tax concessions under the Fringe benefits act to not for profit organisations, including Public Health. Specifically apparently the meal entertainment benefit.

The budget is next week and I'll wait for the detail rather than trying to elaborate on the proposed changes now, but I want to flag up front - beware the law of unintended consequences.

I don't think anyone will have a big problem with the proposal once it's announced. I don't , I think it's a loophole that warrants closing even though I've personally benefited from it.

However I can see issues with this in the medium term in sessional and visiting medical officers deciding to abandon public health for the private sector, particularly in the areas of surgeons and anesthetists.

I hope I'm wrong, lets see.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 7:33 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^ I could never be bothered with it - slack I know!

I'm not sure they will Stui, affiliation with a teaching hospital and research is pretty important for status and career and a requirement for some of the professional colleges.

With the exception of a few private hospitals capability for " cutting edge" technology and significant range of procedures and ability to treat a diversity of conditions is pretty limited. Public patients tend to present with more shall we say interesting diagnoseses in greater numbers.

And isn't the annual CPD allowance more substantial for those in the medical profession in public health? (this shits me to tears btw)

Still you never know - they are the entitled Wink Razz

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 12:08 am
Post subject: Re: Federal Budget 2015Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:

One of the proposed changes will be to the tax concessions under the Fringe benefits act to not for profit organisations, including Public Health. Specifically apparently the meal entertainment benefit.

The budget is next week and I'll wait for the detail rather than trying to elaborate on the proposed changes now, but I want to flag up front - beware the law of unintended consequences.

I don't think anyone will have a big problem with the proposal once it's announced. I don't , I think it's a loophole that warrants closing even though I've personally benefited from it.

However I can see issues with this in the medium term in sessional and visiting medical officers deciding to abandon public health for the private sector, particularly in the areas of surgeons and anesthetists.

I hope I'm wrong, lets see.

I don't have a problem if they get rid of it for Doctors at all.They're too overpaid now.

The real folk who need it like cleaners etc have been privatised & can't claim it.

I'lll miss it when it's not there as I use it a fair bit.

thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:24 pm

Apparently the meal/entertainment concession is to be limited to $5K annually as oppossed to the unrestricted amount which applies now.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 5:13 pm

This article was written back in March, but I think it's worth posting. This government really does seem to think that the public has the memory of a goldfish. Perhaps they're right.

http://www.theage.com.au/comment/job-done-tony-abbott-promises-dull-budget-but-when-did-australias-debt-become-manageable-20150319-1m2lmr.html

Quote:
Job done: Tony Abbott promises dull budget, but when did Australia's debt become manageable?
Waleed Aly

But paradoxically, Abbott's pledge of a dull budget is wildly ambitious. This is mainly because it is asking us to believe several contradictory things at once. First, that the Coalition inherited a budget emergency. Second that its job of responding to that emergency has been relentlessly sabotaged by the opposition and other senate riff-raff. Third, that in spite of this relentless blocking, the budgetary repair job has somehow been done. Turns out the opposition weren't blocking terribly much. Or that the stuff they were blocking was unnecessary to fix the budget, anyway, in which case they weren't as irresponsible as we were being asked to believe.

About the only thing clear about this is the dogma Abbott is urging us to accept: "Under Labor the budget was completely out of control. Under us, it's manageable". Then, in case we missed it: "we have got the budget situation from out of control, to manageable".

But how? It's a strange claim to be making when you've just spent the last few weeks systematically abandoning your own least popular savings measures. The GP co-payment is gone, we think, along with the billions it was forecast to save. The government recently found unspecified millions to give back to a car industry that is already determined to leave our shores, and gave in on a pay rise for our defence force personnel it had so long resisted. Now, the government's plans for deregulation of university fees, which would allow it to pocket further billions in education costs, lie unambiguously in tatters.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 6:09 pm

The Poor will get Poorer and the Rich will get Richer
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 8:39 pm

The big winner in this budget is Piracy. As if people are going to pay more when we are already charged more as it is. ARRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 8:43 pm

Culprit wrote:
The big winner in this budget is Piracy. As if people are going to pay more when we are already charged more as it is. ARRRRRRRRRRRRRR

2nd That. Make your Entertainment more Expensive then give people more reason to Pirate it

3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 8:54 pm

stui magpie wrote:
The budget is next week and I'll wait for the detail rather than trying to elaborate on the proposed changes now.

Can you elaborate on the status quo of NFP's and what fringe-benefit loop-hole/s are you talking about?

I've done a search and the only thing I found is this clear as mud extract from the time of the last government...

http://sydney.edu.au/law/parsons/ATTA/docs_pdfs/conference_papers/Not_For_Profit_Organisations_revised.pdf

Quote:
Henry Review Recommendations relating to NFPs
The Henry Review stated that:
The system of concessions is complex and does not appropriately reflect current community values about the merit and social worth of activities.
The complexity of these concessions is exacerbated by the opaque and inconsistent regulatory arrangements for the NFP section.
Word Investment Ltd Case
The issue of charitable entities using tax concessions for engaging in
commercial activities has always been a contentious issue in Australia.
The ATO considered that if the purpose of an NFP organisation is carrying
on a commercial enterprise to generate surpluses, the purpose was not
charitable and concessions were not able to be utilized.
However, NFP‟s were able to carry out activities to make profits where:
 The commercial activity was being carried out in a way that was
charitable
 The commercial operations were merely incidental to the carrying
out of the charitable purpose, or
 It did so by charging fees for charitable services
In recent times the courts have had the opportunity of providing some
clarification on the matter.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 9:23 pm

3.14159 wrote:

Can you elaborate on the status quo of NFP's and what fringe-benefit loop-hole/s are you talking about?

I've done a search and the only thing I found is this clear as mud extract from the time of the last government...

Try this. http://www.afr.com/news/policy/budget/budget-2015-doctors-pained-by-limit-on-tax-perks-20150507-ggw4y3

Let me know if it's blocked or anything, I had a google alert on the topic and got the url from there.

Basically Gillard commissioned a review into tax concessions in the not for profit sector when she was PM. She never got a chance to do anything with it. Krudd coming out with his novated leasing thingo was an utter brain fart that no one saw coming as it wasn't one of the subjects of the review that was dealt with in much detail.

The Meal/Entertainment benefit WAS one that the TOR of the review looked at hard. I've read the original paper calling for submissions, whoever wrote it has NFI because they were getting offended by things that were way at the low end of the scale.

Doctors aren't the only ones using it, but the ones who only work a few hours per week in public health have certainly been taking advantage of it. Working in private practice and doing a couple of sessions of 5 hours each per week at a public hospital, rather than paying 50+% tax on those earnings they can put the lot toward meal and entertainment meaning they pay no tax on their public earnings.

I have no problem with the principle of the proposed changes, just flagging the potential of the law of unintended consequences.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 9:32 pm

thebaldfacts wrote:
Apparently the meal/entertainment concession is to be limited to $5K annually as oppossed to the unrestricted amount which applies now.

That's not quite right. There are restrictions & limits. It would be like me saying "intelligent design" is a science" 😜😉

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:05 pm

watt price tully wrote:
thebaldfacts wrote:

That's not quite right. There are restrictions & limits. It would be like me saying "intelligent design" is a science" 😜😉

There are certainly restrictions on use at present for the meal entertainment benefit, not on the amount. you could put as much as you want to it at present.

3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:33 pm

stui magpie wrote:

There are certainly restrictions on use at present for the meal entertainment benefit, not on the amount. you could put as much as you want to it at present.

Me I've never earned a big salary so I know nothing about things like "fringe-benefits" tax (or negative gearing on multiple investment properties, company car or obscene government super contributions to the rich)
... except that it all came out of my meager wages...
I worked all my life but now (threw no fault of my own) i'm on a pension so apparently I'm classed as a drain on the economy and need to be "incentivised" to borrow my way out of poverty and stop visiting the doctor so often!
Rolling Eyes
Oh well, like they say, if your on a high income and stihl paying tax, your either stupid or not earning enough!
If this government is fair dinkum about handing down a "fair" budget it has to stop these outrageous Tax hand-outs!!!

As much $$$$ as you want on meals and entertainment?
Does that include the Grange and the stripper?
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 11:02 am

and for what it's worth I've done volunteer work all my life.
I started with door-knocking for the good friday appeal.
For 6 years I took kids for a week long holidays in Hepburn, a break for their parents mostly).
These day I am a member of the CFA and SES (when I'm on call I have to drop what-ever I'm doing suit-up and get to the scene of the incident, under my own power and with-out even a petrol voucher).
I also do a lot of volunteering for the Clunes book Festival (I was awarded volunteer of the festival for my work organising last years Children's Book Town).
I get paid NOTHING for any of these things and what's more I have to pay for my own CFA & SES gear...

"Fringe benefits" for health care workers who fancy a change of scenery for a day or week?
Cry me river but spare me the violins!
thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 12:15 pm

stui magpie wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
thebaldfacts wrote:

Spot on Stui. You know what you are talking about.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5   

Jump to: