Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Maxy on Beams Trade

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 11:41 pm
Post subject: Maxy on Beams TradeReply with quote

Quote:
The Lions had already agreed to hand over picks No. 5 (Jordan de Goey) and No. 25 (Levi Greenwood) for Beams and had refused to include No. 21 as well.

But the Pies stood firm and pushed for a senior player to be added to the twin draft selections, knowing the whole package could make or break the Magpies’ engine room.

By the following Monday, Brisbane agreed that player would be little-known Murray Bushranger, Jack Crisp, completing a three-for-one deal which, seven months on, is looking even more favourable for Nathan Buckley and his list chief, Derek Hine.

Interesting that Pick 21 turned out to be Hugh Goddard. Been a Very Good Pick for us but You can’t Complain about Crisp has done/developed so far this year

Quote:
I think in time we will see it as a win for the Pies,” Maxwell told the Sunday Herald Sun.

“Beamsy is only one man and he has been great for Brisbane but he has not had a lot of help. He’s been tagged every week and Brisbane has had a lot of injuries to important players such as Tom Rockliff and Pearce Hanley.

“So he has certainly played his role, but in the same breath it has been a big challenge for him too.

Collingwood recruit Jack Crisp celebrates a goal. Picture: Wayne Ludbey
Collingwood recruit Jack Crisp celebrates a goal. Picture: Wayne Ludbey

While Beams is believed to have been quietly hindered by a leg problem this season, Crisp’s emergence as a hardworking and defensively-minded ball-winner has ensured there hasn’t been many complaints from the Magpie faithful about losing best and fairest winner Beams this season.

Over the first eight rounds, Crisp, 21, has averaged 20.5 disposals, four clearances and 386m gained per match, to Beams’s 27.6 disposals, seven clearances and 415m.

Maxwell said while Beams was an elite on-baller, Crisp has shown significant upside.

“Crisp has been outstanding, and he’s probably surprised a few, but all he needed was an opportunity and he probably would not have got that in the same form if Greenwood didn’t get injured, so it has been a blessing in disguise,” Maxwell said.

“He has had a crack and has had a lot of trust put on him and he has 20 touches a game and plays on one of the opposition’s best midfielders.

“So he is not just shutting down a man, he is getting involved in the game, backing his run and getting the ball himself.”

While Beams remains a class above, the two other parts of that deal is what threatens to tip it Collingwood’s favour.

Maxwell said de Goey, 19, was a “competitive beast”, who in time would form a lethal onball partnership with injured speedster Nathan Freeman, making anything Greenwood, 26, produces in the second half of the season “a bit of a bonus”.

“Collingwood obviously lost a player of the highest quality, but they have gained a few in return who could all reach potentially high marks,” he said.

Good Interview there with Maxy

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/collingwood-stands-to-gain-from-dayne-beams-trade-to-brisbane/story-fnp04d70-1227375968678

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 12:33 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Still early days, make no mistake about the fact players like Beams don't grow on trees, but footy can be funny sometimes, who would have thought that Jack Crisp would be the one to have the most impact (to date) out of the Beams 3.

I certainly wouldn't want to swap back.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 6:46 am

Very good interview with Maxy I've been really impressed with what I have seen of him on TV as well. Looks like he is positioning himself for higher honours in the magpie heiracy.
As for the trade it looks like a win win. Beamer got home and Crisp and been very good. DeGoey has shown enough to make you believe he will be a very good player as well so Greenwood will be the icing on the cake.
Beams numbers this year are on par with what he produced with us except his goals are marginally down.
Can't wait for the day we see DeGoey, Freemqn, Scharanberg, Moore all on the field together. Exciting times ahead.
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 7:31 am

In time it will go down as one of the deals of the century, even better than our raids on freo and the aints. What makes it more satisfying is that we weren't the instigators and we held firm. To think that many on here at the time thought we were getting shafted Laughing
Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:43 am

The best thing about Crisp is he is going to be a far better clubman than beams, I saw him on Marngrook and he really comported himself well, looked liked leadership material and will be a smokey for the Captaincy when Pendles goes.

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
perthmagpie Aries

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:00 am

It could be argued as suggested that the true test at this moment in time is if the AFL rang us and said you can reverse the whole Beams trade right now if you want. Would you like to? For me as much as I loved Beamer I would hesitate perhaps but say no. Let's leave it as it is. I suspect we will come out clearly on top.
Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:11 am

Depth wise it has been a great deal for us. And who knows De Goey and Crisp may even be as good as Beams some day. Maybe better.
Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:11 am

Whoops. DP.

As an aside: Maxy named his best team of the AFL era on SEN the other day. Can't remember the whole team but of the Collingwood players he had Millane on the wing, Bucks on the bench and Brereton in the forward line.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:22 am

Dangles wrote:
Depth wise it has been a great deal for us. And who knows De Goey and Crisp may even be as good as Beams some day. Maybe better.

Well, at least they're both fast enough to play good, AFL senior football on Grand Final day. Not that that would have been a concern for the Bears, who were simply buying some hope.
mattys123 

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 11:10 am

Brisbane over paid for Beams, simply because they had to.

You don't give 3 players away for someone of Beams ability. Thats what you give away for a Buddy, Ablett or Fyfe type, not just a very good player in Beams.

We won the trade the second they threw Crisp in too, because effectively getting De Goey (pick 5) and Greenwood (pick 21 traded) was about fair already.

Thanks Bear Lions.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 11:45 am

Disagree with practically all of the above. Brisbane didn't overpay, they paid evens. A fair price for a genuine A-grade player. They paid a top 10 pick, plus an early second round pick (effectively) and that wasn't quite enough so they threw in a fringe player as a sealer. That left them happy, and left us happy. that's a good trade for all concerned.

Now, as it happens, our fringe player (Crisp) turned out to be a beauty. He could just as easily have been a depth player or a list clogger. During the pre-season, remember, no-one even knew if he would be good enough to get a senior game.

As it turns out, the trade has been good for us, possibly a fantastic trade if DeG comes on as we all expect and if Greenwood can show that last year's form was no flash in the pan. But you can't look back at a stoke of very good luck in the trade lottery and retrospectively declare it a masterpiece. It was a fair trade and we happened to get a very fortunate result from it. No more and no less.

September Zeros 

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 12:21 pm

Tannin wrote:
Disagree with practically all of the above. Brisbane didn't overpay, they paid evens. A fair price for a genuine A-grade player. They paid a top 10 pick, plus an early second round pick (effectively) and that wasn't quite enough so they threw in a fringe player as a sealer. That left them happy, and left us happy. that's a good trade for all concerned.

Now, as it happens, our fringe player (Crisp) turned out to be a beauty. He could just as easily have been a depth player or a list clogger. During the pre-season, remember, no-one even knew if he would be good enough to get a senior game.

As it turns out, the trade has been good for us, possibly a fantastic trade if DeG comes on as we all expect and if Greenwood can show that last year's form was no flash in the pan. But you can't look back at a stoke of very good luck in the trade lottery and retrospectively declare it a masterpiece. It was a fair trade and we happened to get a very fortunate result from it. No more and no less.

Thank you tannin for some reasoning.

I don't know how many times we have to go over it but we did not get three players for beams alone.

It was a five way trade in which we also lost lumumba and pick 67.

It complicated as he's listed as pick 86 but Brisbane from what I can research used pick 67 as part of an academy bidding system to secure this guy:

http://boundforglorynews.com/2014-draft-profile-josh-clayton/

Please do correct me if I'm wrong although it would be irrelevant. Point is they used it to secure a player and here's a little taster of a few handy pick 67's in both national and rookies drafts.

Matt de Boer (FRE) – Pick No.19 in 2008 Rookie Draft (115 games)
Jeff Garlett (MEL) – Pick No.6 in 2008 Rookie Draft (107 games)
James Podsiadly (ADEL) – Pick No.50 in 2009 Rookie Draft (104 games)
Jarryd Blair (COLL) – Pick No.27 in 2008 Rookie Draft (102 games)
Tom Rockliff (BL) – Pick No.5 in 2009 Pre-Season Draft (101 games)
Ben Howlett (ESS) – Pick No.30 in 2009 Rookie Draft (97 games)
Luke Breust (HAW) – Pick No.47 in 2008 Rookie Draft (91 games)
Mike Pyke (SYD) – Pick No.57 in 2008 Rookie Draft (90 games)
Michael Barlow (FRE) – Pick No.8 in 2009 Rookie Draft (90 games)
Patrick McGinnity (WCE) – Pick No.7 in 2008 Pre-Season Draft (81 games)
Stewart Crameri (WB) – Pick No.43 in 2009 Rookie Draft (79 games)
Clancee Pearce (FRE) – Pick No.48 in 2008 Rookie Draft (78 games)

We gave up two premiership players one of which was elite.

To break even on this trade from a club perspective one of DeGoey, Greenwood and Crisp needs to become elite and another of them best 22. This has not happened yet.

To win the trade v Brisbane at least one needs to become elite. This also has not happened yet.

If you want to include varcoe (and we probably should as he was part of the trade) then we have a little more wiggle room to take bragging rights (just a little as we know he is a little hot and cold)

But ask me the question of whether we won this trade in 5 yrs. Not now when we really don't have a clue how it will all pan out.

So far it's promising but spare me the we won the trade outright crap because to date we simply have not.

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

Last edited by September Zeros on Sun May 31, 2015 12:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 12:27 pm

That's just a misunderstanding, SZ. Collingwood got Varcoe for H. We seem to have to go through this about once a fortnight.
September Zeros 

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 12:33 pm

Fair enough though if you break it down enough the swaps between Geelong and Melbourne can be omitted .....i can see that now. I still think you have to look at what we let out as to what came in though and I'm still to be convinced. None of our incoming are elite yet.

Even if you take out lumumba and varcoe pick 67 is still an unknown.

Last edited by September Zeros on Sun May 31, 2015 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
September Zeros 

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 12:51 pm

Hmmmmm...the more I think about it.... Maybe I'm clutching at straws .....

As firm believer at the time that we lost the trade, perhaps it's just hard to say

...... I was wrong Shocked

......maybe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: