Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Ferguson

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:39 am
Post subject: FergusonReply with quote

Surprised this issue hasn't come up at all around here. Pretty terrible situation, especially for the people of a city that's just exploded. Pretty open and shut case as far as I can see, but there seems to be a lot of people who think the Police officer did the wrong thing.

Considering his testimony and that of several eye witnesses matched up exactly I can't understand the fury that's engulfed the black community or the support for the man who was shot (beyond sadness that a man died and wishing he'd made better choices in life).

Here's an eyewitness interview from a man who came forward.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/1370930-interview-witness-10.html

Here's Darren Wilson's account (from a mainstream news source)

http://www.news.com.au/world/north-america/darren-wilson-testimony-why-i-shot-michael-brown/story-fnh81jut-1227135124350

So as far as I can see Brown attacked the Officer in his car, tried to grab his gun and two shots went off, Officer Wilson called for back up and then pursued Brown who turned and charged him. He then fired until Brown stopped, then when he started towards him again continued firing until Brown went down.

There seems to be a large section of the media who are happily causing mischief, reporting in biased ways to try and elicit anger in the black community in order to cause more trouble. If someone else has a different take on this I'd be interested to hear it. Not being immersed in the racially tense culture of the USA it's hard to understand.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:58 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

There was this thread here a few months back:

http://magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?p=1511124

To be honest, I haven't followed it that closely. I guess this is probably the ideal starting point:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Ferguson_unrest

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:07 pm

If you are Black and Live in Ferguson you are three times more likely not to have a job. That then makes Blacks more likely to commit a crime and therefore more likely to run into the Police who are trigger happy. The USA Police Mantra is to shoot if you feel threatened. The riots are merely an excuse for people who are bored and have nothing better to do.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:50 pm

Culprit wrote:
If you are Black and Live in Ferguson you are three times more likely not to have a job. That then makes Blacks more likely to commit a crime and therefore more likely to run into the Police who are trigger happy. The USA Police Mantra is to shoot if you feel threatened. The riots are merely an excuse for people who are bored and have nothing better to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPUcA7yrErg&feature=youtu.be
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:57 pm

Was this the one I saw the video of a while back? If so, it was indeed an open and shut case - in Australia, or any other civilised country, the policemen would have been instantly stood down and would now be facing murder charges. With decent luck, he'd get away with a guilty plea for manslaughter.

Or was that a completely different incident?

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:04 pm

Tannin wrote:
Was this the one I saw the video of a while back? If so, it was indeed an open and shut case - in Australia, or any other civilised country, the policemen would have been instantly stood down and would now be facing murder charges. With decent luck, he'd get away with a guilty plea for manslaughter.

Or was that a completely different incident?

It's obviously the incident where you didn't bother checking your facts and just sucked down the story from the The Age or ABC.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:43 pm

^ Complete garbage there from you, Wokko. One of your dumbest all-time posts. In fact, I have not seen or read any particular coverage of it from The Age, or the ABC, or the Hearald-Scum or anywhere else, at least not to remember.

I have, however, seen a full-length video of the shooting, taken on a bystander's phone, which was posted on You-tube, and (if this is in fact the same shooting) you couldn't get a much clear example of absurdly unjustifiable murder by the officer.

David Libra

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:50 pm

I think you might be thinking of the Fruitvale Station incident, Tannin.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/21/fruitvale-station-oscar-grant-trial-settlement

Still, these things happen so regularly over there that it's easy to get confused.

And people wonder why the local African-American community are so angry about this.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:24 pm

Tannin wrote:
^ Complete garbage there from you, Wokko. One of your dumbest all-time posts. In fact, I have not seen or read any particular coverage of it from The Age, or the ABC, or the Hearald-Scum or anywhere else, at least not to remember.

I have, however, seen a full-length video of the shooting, taken on a bystander's phone, which was posted on You-tube, and (if this is in fact the same shooting) you couldn't get a much clear example of absurdly unjustifiable murder by the officer.

Can you please provide a link to the video Tannin if possible?

I actually haven't seen it so I can't comment on this case one way or another.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:49 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmzkOXji6nw
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:32 pm

Not the case I'm referring to Tannin, but I've done my best to research it in the last 20 minutes or so.

Tough call on the cops there, I would say that having received calls about an unstable man with a knife who has just shoplifted the cops were on high alert. When the man didn't respond to commands and advanced on them saying "shoot me" they did just that.

I would think that the volume of fire is excessive and shows to me that cops in these areas are shit scared every time they get called out, of course I've never had to face a disturbed guy coming at me with a knife from 5 meters away before. A knife at that range is incredibly deadly, in fact within 12 feet a knife is a better weapon than a firearm.

I also wouldn't discount the possibility of suicide by cop, however it looks like fatal stupidity in not immediately discarding his weapon and not moving when the police arrived.
David Libra

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:00 pm

For me, the stupidity of the guy in question is irrelevant. He could be stark raving mad; it doesn't matter. The police are the professionals in that situation, and they're the ones holding firearms. They're not perfect and shouldn't be expected to be, but when a mistake has such grave consequences, it's reasonable to expect that they be accountable for their actions.

Use of lethal weaponry should only ever be an absolute last resort. Anything less and they should be culpable IMHO.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:09 pm

What's everyone think of the Brown family's lawyer's efforts over the last 24 hours? I'm setting this for you all as a professional ethics hypothetical.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:33 pm

David wrote:
For me, the stupidity of the guy in question is irrelevant. He could be stark raving mad; it doesn't matter. The police are the professionals in that situation, and they're the ones holding firearms. They're not perfect and shouldn't be expected to be, but when a mistake has such grave consequences, it's reasonable to expect that they be accountable for their actions.

Use of lethal weaponry should only ever be an absolute last resort. Anything less and they should be culpable IMHO.

An unstable man with a knife ignoring commands and advancing on police is pretty close to a last resort. At the range he was at he can be on them before they can aim and fire. They were called out because people in the area had reported an unstable, armed man and they were in fear of their lives.

I certainly don't mean being stupid,unstable or mad means someone deserves to be shot, but in a survival situation (and being faced by armed police with weapons drawn is most certainly a survival situation), he did the one sure thing that would get himself shot. This is why I wouldn't discount suicide by cop.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:22 pm

No comment on the specific incident as it's a media distraction from fanatical US social polarisation in all its glory.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: