Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

David Cameron wants to ban encryption in UK

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:48 pm
Post subject: David Cameron wants to ban encryption in UKReply with quote

Guess they don’t want people to have Privacy.

The Governments are taking Advantage of Terriosm as an Excuse to take away Public Privacy.

Bloody Disgusting. No Wonder some Poms have Protested against this Idiot

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/david-cameron-encryption-back-doors-iphone-whatsapp-2015-7

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:52 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't guess. Tell me.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:55 pm

George Orwell would be pissing himself laughing. All we are doing is creating more radicals.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:24 pm

Culprit wrote:
George Orwell would be pissing himself laughing. All we are doing is creating more radicals.

I would not go that Far but the Crap the Government does. I could see people getting more and more Pissed Off with them

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:14 pm

Dave, Cameron says here that they'd propose a warrant to decrypt private communications. You know, like a search warrant. A search warrant - today - means that police can enter your property and search your house, your underwear, your DVD collection, whatever. If you accept the concept of a physical search warrant, which has been around for a hundred years without creeping totalitarianism, why would you be so outraged by a cyber-search warrant ?

Now, the practicalities of doing it may be tricky. But that's what government is about, working out how to do things that need to be done while balancing law with liberty. But the principle is sound, here. Australia's risk of terrorism is low, but Britain's is high. Keep going, David Cameron.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:44 pm

Mugwump wrote:
Dave, Cameron says here that they'd propose a warrant to decrypt private communications. You know, like a search warrant.

As opposed to that arsehole Abbott, who just brought in laws allowing them to snoop on anything and everything you do - where you shop, who you are with, what prescriptions you fill, how often your lawyer talks to you, what street you were in at 5.28pm on Tuesday the 9th last year, who you sleep with, everything and all without any search warrant at all. No judge has to sign off on it, only a junior public servant, policeman, spy or political apparatchik.

Not only that, they force the telcos to retain that private data on every single citizen, and retain it for many months just in case a junior public servant, policeman, spy or political apparatchik wants to snoop on you. And the whole vast spying-on-citizens project is so massive that it's set to cost $300 million a year which comes out of your pocket.

Scum. Low-life scum doesn't come any lower than Abbott. Though I hear Cameron is giving it his best shot.

* Who you sleep with. Really? Too bloody right they really want to know that. That's what they want the mobile phone location data for, 'coz it can pin you down to an exact time and place for every minute of every day. If you want to have a love affair without the government knowing every detail, start by taking a hammer to your phone. And your tablet. And your lover's phone. And any laptop computers you have. And pay for every single thing with cash, never use a card - they track that too. Obviously, you mustn't drive your own car, especially not on a toll road. And don't take a bus either, your Myki card will betray you.

Look, the best idea is to forget the love affair, OK? Just stay home and wank. (But they track that too.)

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:45 pm

It will not make one bit of difference.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:48 pm

Mugwump wrote:
But that's what government is about, working out how to do things that need to be done while balancing law with liberty.

Congratulations. You just hit 116 out of 100 on the Bullshitometer. Old Baldie holds the record high score, but you might get a gurnsey as this week's Rising Star nomination with that performance.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:52 pm

Tannin wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
But that's what government is about, working out how to do things that need to be done while balancing law with liberty.

Congratulations. You just hit 116 out of 100 on the Bullshitometer. Old Baldie holds the record high score, but you might get a gurnsey as this week's Rising Star nomination with that performance.

You'll need to explain why before I can take that seriously. It struck me as about the most obvious uncontroversial statement that I've made since 1998.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:55 pm

Tannin wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
Dave, Cameron says here that they'd propose a warrant to decrypt private communications. You know, like a search warrant.

As opposed to that arsehole Abbott, who just brought in laws allowing them to snoop on anything and everything you do

Fine - but that's not what the OP was about. It was about Cameron banning strong encryption so that communications can be accessed by the authorities with a warrant. Why is something quite normally accepted suddenly outrageous because it's cyber ?

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:58 pm

Why do I exist?
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:02 pm

You have been able and permitted to make up any secret code you wish for hundreds of years, and no-one can make you tell them what's in it. Why is cyber any different?

In any case, governments can and do break codes all the time, as a matter of routine. They've been doing that for hundreds of years too. The only thing that has changed is that now they want it to be so easy that they can do it more often to more people.

Yes, computers make it easier to encrypt things. But they also make it easier to crack the encryption, so nothing has really changed. Except the greed and urge-to-control of governments, which is mushrooming like the skies over Bikini Atoll 69 years ago today.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:23 pm

^ You're well-read and well-informed enough to understand the concept of a warrant. Perhaps you did not read (in the article attached by DTM) where Cameron suggested that a warrant should be involved. That oversight is the only way i can make any sense of your comment that "the only thing that's changed is that now they want it to be so easy they can do it more often to more people". That comment may or may not be true. But as regards the OP, it's not in this case.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:29 pm

I'm not really looking at the particular instance, MW. If I remember correctly, Cameron has been up to the same laundry list of dirty tricks to erode citizens right as the Americans and Abbott's mob. They share all that info anyway. There have been several well-publicised examples of his government grossly invading privacy and overriding civil rights. One particularly famous one involved dirty tricks at customs involving someone not under the slightest genuine suspicion who had his laptop stolen by the authorities and was thrown into jail until he provided passwords. Is Cameron retrospectively trying to make this thuggery legal now?
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:37 pm

Tannin wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

As opposed to that arsehole Abbott, who just brought in laws allowing them to snoop on anything and everything you do - where you shop, who you are with, what prescriptions you fill, how often your lawyer talks to you, what street you were in at 5.28pm on Tuesday the 9th last year, who you sleep with, everything and all without any search warrant at all. No judge has to sign off on it, only a junior public servant, policeman, spy or political apparatchik.

Not only that, they force the telcos to retain that private data on every single citizen, and retain it for many months just in case a junior public servant, policeman, spy or political apparatchik wants to snoop on you. And the whole vast spying-on-citizens project is so massive that it's set to cost $300 million a year which comes out of your pocket.

Scum. Low-life scum doesn't come any lower than Abbott. Though I hear Cameron is giving it his best shot.

* Who you sleep with. Really? Too bloody right they really want to know that. That's what they want the mobile phone location data for, 'coz it can pin you down to an exact time and place for every minute of every day. If you want to have a love affair without the government knowing every detail, start by taking a hammer to your phone. And your tablet. And your lover's phone. And any laptop computers you have. And pay for every single thing with cash, never use a card - they track that too. Obviously, you mustn't drive your own car, especially not on a toll road. And don't take a bus either, your Myki card will betray you.

Look, the best idea is to forget the love affair, OK? Just stay home and wank. (But they track that too.)

and People not Complain and Campaigning against Abbott over this is a Worry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: