Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Government's disgraceful attacks on Gillian Triggs

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:23 pm
Post subject: The Government's disgraceful attacks on Gillian TriggsReply with quote

I can't think of any government less entitled to jump on the moral high horse, but by god do they stuff it up when they do.

Michelle Grattan says it all.

https://theconversation.com/brandis-and-dutton-play-some-dirty-pool-in-their-fight-with-gillian-triggs-42948

Quote:
Brandis and Dutton play some dirty pool in their fight with Gillian Triggs
Michelle Grattan

Last Friday, Attorney-General George Brandis and Immigration Minister Peter Dutton issued an extraordinary statement declaring that the president of the Human Rights Commission, Gillian Triggs, needed to explain her comments linking Australias turn-back policy and negotiations with Indonesia about the death penalty.

But, it is the two ministers who should be called on to explain their statement.

Dutton has just provided yet more evidence as to why he should under no circumstances be given sole power even subject to judicial oversight under the governments proposed new law to revoke the citizenship of dual nationals involved in terrorist activities.

As for Brandis: well, as the nations first law officer, he should, frankly, know better. Brandis professes to believe in free speech, famously defending peoples right to be bigots. Yet he calls for an explanation of an arguable proposition whether correct or not from someone who is perfectly entitled to make it.

And this person is a statutory officer who is independent of government.

Nothing they do surprises me any more, to be honest. But they desperately need to be punished for this behaviour, and it's just not happening.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:41 pm
Post subject: Re: The Government's disgraceful attacks on Gillian TriggsReply with quote

100% correct. The Government is again showing it is a disgrace & nothing it seems is beneath them. Pure bullying & politics.

Ignoring the facts to bully & demonise a tireless defender of Human Rights.

thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:18 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

And in the interest of fairness, the opposing view as brilliantly reported by Chris Kenny highlighting Triggs falsehoods and misrepresentations. Is it any surprise that the Government has lost confidence in her?

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/opinion/gillian-triggs-defenders-need-to-look-at-facts/story-e6frg6zo-1227389482985?sv=f2296c15d9ae2ef47b0373e2bb34484d

If the activists, journalists and politicians who are defending Gillian Triggs really believed their case they would provide a detailed rebuttal of the transgressions over which she is accused.

Instead we are witnessing an Orwellian sham, led by the ABC, where players line up to defend the President of the Australian Human Rights Commission either without any mention of her mistakes or by referencing allegations not even made against her.

Triggs is being defended on political grounds by political opponents of the government without regard for the facts.

This provides a strong clue as to whether or not the AHRC is being well served by her ongoing presidency.

Since November last year, Triggs has been criticised for political partisanship, delaying a crucial human rights inquiry, getting her facts wrong and making inappropriate and erroneous comments.

It is worth going back to my news report published on November 22 last year to clarify both the nature of the issues and the timing.

The future of Human Rights Commission president Gillian Triggs is under a cloud, the report began, after a disastrous appearance before a Senate committee, during which she contradicted her evidence about the political considerations of delaying an inquiry into children in detention. Under questioning, Professor Triggs revealed she had decided an inquiry was necessary early last year but did not act until after the federal election because she feared it would be highly politicised and very destructive.

And after denying she raised the matter with Labor before the election, she later admitted discussing it with two former immigration ministers, Chris Bowen and Tony Burke.

The presidents appearance before the Senate committee that week was the catalyst for all that we have seen since.

Her difficulties cannot be blamed on any political agenda, any partisan attack or any media conspiracy.

At the time Triggs was simply asked straightforward questions and exposed herself with evasive, contradictory and misleading answers.

It was a trainwreck of a performance.

Critically, she failed adequately to explain despite a range of different attempts why she didnt hold an inquiry into children in detention when thousands of asylum-seekers were arriving each month, when children were being shunted into detention, when there were record numbers of children in detention and Labor was in power.

Triggs eventually launched the inquiry only after the Coalition was in government, the boats had been stopped, the number of children in detention had been halved (since then numbers have been cut by more than 90 per cent) and rather than being put into detention, children were being released.

Included in Triggs rationalisations of this 18-month delay were political considerations she said it would be very destructive to hold the inquiry close to an election (she wrongly said an election was likely any time after March 2013 even though, in January, Julia Gillard had announced a date in September).

With such open reference to political considerations, Triggs was asked if she had discussed the possibility of the inquiry with any Labor ministers.

She said she had not.

Later, under sustained questioning she changed her account and said she had discussed the inquiry on separate occasions with both Bowen when he was immigration minister and Burke when he took over.

Almost as incredible as this evidence was the fact that it was not covered by the ABC.

The national broadcaster which, would never fail to report any criticism of border protection policy from the AHRC, somehow failed to report this extensive, significant and contradictory evidence before a Senate committee.

What is more, even after we revealed the issues in The Australian, all the video of the evidence was available on parliaments website and in all the months since, despite the growing controversy over Triggs position, the ABC has never bothered to share these relevant facts with the public.

Remember this is long before Triggs report on children in detention was made public.

We were not to know what her report might or might not say (although, lets be frank, no-one argues that having children in detention is anything but regrettable) yet already, as stated in my report, it was clear her position appears untenable.

Refugee activists should have been horrified not only should they have been concerned a report into children in detention had been delayed for 18 months, at least in part for political reasons, but the controversy meant that whatever the report found would lack credibility.

Of course, there have been other mistakes by Triggs.

During other hearings she claimed detention centres were like prisons and was forced to retract, and she also claimed detention centre guards were armed before being corrected.

These mistakes were bound to make people suspicious of her other observations.

She has come under fire for recommending $5.9 million in taxpayer-funded compensation payments over just three years, including $350,000 for an Indonesian refugee who beat his Australian spouse to death.

And then, just last week, Triggs suggested the successful people-smuggling boat turnback policy was having a detrimental effect on Australias negotiations with Indonesia on such issues as the death penalty an erroneous and inflammatory comment in the wake of the two recent executions.

Yet the ABC, Labor and Greens MPs and other activists continue to peddle the clear falsehood that Triggs is targeted by the government because of her report, released in February this year.

It is a case, they keep saying, of shooting the messenger.

This was a phrase appropriated by none other than Triggs herself in an opinion piece just after her report was released.

Please do not shoot the messenger, she wrote.

The line was also used by Ben Saul in an opinion piece for the ABCs The Drum and by Georgina Dent on her Womens Agenda website.

The ABCs Annabel Crabb, along with many others, has written of the extraordinary attack on Triggs and former Greens leader Christine Milne has referred to a witch hunt.

Attempts to link Triggs difficulties to the content of her report are clearly wrong, based simply on the chronology.

Those pushing that argument are either being wilfully misleading or ignorant.

Radio National kept up the campaign today, again failing to focus on Triggs errors and mistakes, and running the line that Triggs latest comments about the death penalty and Indonesia should not be construed as a reference to the recent executions.

It ran former human rights commissioner, Chris Sidoti, saying, I think the strategy is basically to have a go at and attack the person who is giving them messages they dont want to hear, and another former commissioner Brian Burdekin who described the Triggs affair as shooting the messenger or playing the man or the woman.

Radio Nationals regular green/left commentator, Paul Bongiorno, told us if Gillian Triggs is forced out of her job it will undermine completely the credibility of the independent human rights watchdog in this country.

Bongiorno said this was all about a government which had an attitude that youre either for us or against us and he used comments by former Coalition ministers about a completely separate issue to bolster his argument.

What all these defenders of Triggs have in common is that they ignore the facts.

They simply refuse to share with their audiences the actions and words that caused the government to lose faith in the AHRC president.

If it is possible to explain and justify Triggs position the actions and words that caused the government to lose faith in her then why doesnt one of her many defenders give it a go?
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:07 pm

More lies in one post than I honestly thought were possible.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:56 pm

All they seem to do in Government is To Pick on each other
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:51 pm

Dave The Man wrote:

Spot on!

It's like primary school!

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:17 am

Dave The Man wrote:

In this case DTM, it's the government (mostly sad old men) picking on a woman (no surprise there) who is the head of an Independent statutory body: The Human Rights Commission. A lot of bullying since February this year if not earlier.

What the Government fails to realise is that it reflects very poorly on them despite what an alleged dog f*cker might have to say Wink

thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:38 pm

Guess it is easier to accuse people of lying and bullying rather than contemplating that maybe it is Trigg's own decitful and partisan actions which have brought all this on her.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:03 pm

thebaldfacts wrote:
Guess it is easier to accuse people of lying and bullying rather than contemplating that maybe it is Trigg's own decitful and partisan actions which have brought all this on her.

Guess it's easier to bully a woman. I get it blame the victim.

What's that, she was asking for it? I know I've heard that somewhere before.

Let me guess, Pastor Driscoll?

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:37 pm

Oh give it a rest, this is just like the Gillard supporters playing the gender card when criticism cuts too close to the bone. I've seen one post in here that has made an attempt to discuss the issue and every other response has been insulting nonsense directed at the poster. If he's wrong then say why and how because if this was a debate the TBF had won in a landslide. Post facts, not feels.
thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:40 pm

[quote="watt price tully"

Guess it's easier to bully a woman. I get it blame the victim.

[/quote]

Read the facts and leave your political bias aside.
thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:41 pm

Wokko wrote:
Oh give it a rest, this is just like the Gillard supporters playing the gender card when criticism cuts too close to the bone. I've seen one post in here that has made an attempt to discuss the issue and every other response has been insulting nonsense directed at the poster. If he's wrong then say why and how because if this was a debate the TBF had won in a landslide. Post facts, not feels.

Thanks Wokko. But really this is exactly what I expected from the usual suspects, so no real surprise.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:06 pm

Wokko, TBF hasn't posted one single fact so far. He's posted an outrageous and insulting series of lies, distortions, and hysterical nonsense.

Seriously, what would be the point of re-posting the actual facts of the matter? Everybody knows them (except TBF, who either knows them and lies a lot or is very seriously out there in paranoid fantasyland, I'm not sure which), and TBF would only take that as an excuse to drag in still more made up rubbish. It takes time and effort to research things and write them up correctly. It's hard work. For TBF, on the other hand, it is falling of a log easy: in the time it takes me to fact-check and organise one paragraph of truth, TBF can rabbit of a couple of pages worth of made-up rubbish like that above. Or, as he seems to prefer to do, simply copy and paste pre-packaged propaganda lies from the loopy hard-right fringe of the Liberal Party.

Honestly, why should I (or anyone else) waste hours responding to his gibberish? It only encourages him.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:49 pm

He posted an article in full tha was published in a national newspaper. I'd think that deserves a rebuttal.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:50 pm

Can you give me a more specific reference? The name of the paper and the date, please.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: