Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

So, anyone watch the Killing Season last night?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:56 pm
Post subject: So, anyone watch the Killing Season last night?Reply with quote

On ABC, 3 part doco about Federal Labor leadership changes.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/programs/killing-season/

Apparently Krudd and Gillard were only too happy to contribute.

Bill Shorten must be sitting in a corner and rocking. At least he can be thankful that it's not closer to the election and that only Labor supporters are likely to watch it.

Review of last nights episode
http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/the-killing-season-review-sarah-ferguson-probes-beyond-the-headlines-of-ruddgillard-years-20150609-ghjj0f.html

Pre review, Shorten faces the ghosts http://www.theage.com.au/comment/bill-shorten-faces-the-ghosts-of-the-killing-season--the-ruddgillard-downfall-20150605-ghhmzs.html

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:03 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure there's an action movie with that title, then I could say yes!
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:30 am

Guess.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:45 am

Sounds great, Stui. Will definitely try to catch it on iview.

To be honest, when it was happening, all these leadership shenanigans drove me to despair; they were such a distraction from issues of importance, and I always got the sense that the media were too busy trying to create news to actually step back and get some perspective. I think distance and time have helped, though, particularly knowing that it was this history that led us to the sorry situation we're in now.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:41 pm

Apparently it's going well.

Picture I CBF downloading and resizing.
https://scontent-lax1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t31.0-8/11222428_446043492231558_2982227920996763977_o.jpg

And from the Aged.

Quote:
Mood in Parliament can change faster than the picture on a TV screen.

The pictures on a TV screen, it happened, had much to do with the mood on Wednesday. So did an amazing alliance between the Abbott government and the Greens.

Labor leader Bill Shorten's mood darkened to thunder. Prime Minister Tony Abbott might have been dancing through a field of daisies in spring.

Here was Shorten trying manfully to puncture Abbott's blithe spirit.

"Before the election, the Prime Minister said, 'only the Coalition can be trusted when we say there will be no deals with the Greens... Given the Prime Minister has now done dirty deals with the Greens on the debt ceiling and slashing part pensions, how can Australians believe a single word this Prime Minister says?"

Abbott barely stilled his hand from blessing himself in gratitude.

"I am a little surprised that the Leader of the Opposition should choose to start question time today talking about trust, given what we were told on The Killing Season last night," he chortled.

As Labor MPs howled and leapt about in protest, the Prime Minister took another shot.

"One by one the guilty men get to their feet," he jabbed at the opposition manager for business, Tony Burke, a leading Gillard man in the demise of Kevin Rudd.

Such was Abbott's ebullience he offered a benediction to no less than the organisation he considers his tormentor.

"I want to say publicly 'thank you to the ABC. Thank you to the ABC'," he crowed, throwing his arms high and wide.

"I don't normally say thank you to the ABC but I have to say Australia is indebted to you on this instance."

The ABC, of course, is responsible for The Killing Season, a slasher movie in three parts.

On Tuesday night it recreated the midnight replacement of Rudd by Gillard, a parade of senior Labor figures helpfully re-enacting the grisly scenes.

Rudd used the word betrayal again and again. Gillard confessed to having offered Kevin false hope of a reprieve minutes before the axe was wielded.

Shorten did not offer his services to the documentary makers. Still, he was portrayed wielding a hot phone in a Vietnamese restaurant to marshall the numbers for the final blow. A Gillard adviser claimed Gillard was counseled not to make Shorten industrial relations minister because he could not be trusted, and would use the union movement to "knock her off".

The series finishes next week, and will undoubtedly record that Shorten did indeed play a leading role in knocking off Gillard and replacing her with Rudd Mark II.

As for Abbott's dirty deal with the dreadful Greens?

Abbott, to whom broken commitments have become water off a duck's back, has only to remind Parliament that Gillard - Shorten's one-time champion - had to rely daily on deals with the Greens to form and maintain government.

The Killing Season is, we imagine, on constant replay in Abbott's office.

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-opinion/the-killing-season-tony-abbotts-delight-at-bill-shortens-torment-20150617-ghqfj8.html

Two Ex prime ministers putting their own legacy ahead of the party they "served" and failing both miserably as it seems.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:35 pm

I saw the first episode last week but haven't been able to watch the second episode yet due to exams but anyway I was impressed with the detail and analysis they went into during the first episode. It was interesting hearing the thoughts of many different individuals such as Rudd, Gillard, Swan, Combet, Macklin and others about what was transpiring within the Labor Party hierarchy.

It seems like the GFC and the events following that were the first steps that the cracks were beginning to become evident within the federal Labor government but it was interesting hearing a member of the Labor Party (who's name I've forgotten now) being concerned immediately when Rudd was first elected in 2007 and that the brilliant Kevin 07 campaign wouldn't live up to expectations so it's interesting hearing that many had concerns right away rather than down the track with how it appeared on the surface initially.

I'm looking forward to watching the second episode on ABC iView soon.

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:51 am

Abbott's such a buffoon. Wish he could summon half this excitement when it comes to developing forward-thinking policies. He can chortle at the reputational damage inflicted on his opponent all he likes, but does he realise that, beyond the circus of Parliament House and the perpetual hysteria of the press gallery, most people don't care about this stuff?

And as if dirty backroom deals and backstabbings aren't a regular occurrence on his side of the floor. Mal Brough, anyone?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: