Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Proof of Stats can Lie

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:51 pm
Post subject: Proof of Stats can LieReply with quote

Quote:
DAYNE Beams is the most valuable recruit of the season and his Brisbane Lions teammate Allen Christensen is not far behind him, statistical software program Aphex has found.

The Collingwood premiership midfielder left the Magpies at the end of last year in what shapes as a win-win deal for both clubs, with the Lions landing Beams and the Magpies receiving pick five (Jordan De Goey) and Jack Crisp.

The Pies also received pick No.25 – which they swapped for Kangaroos midfielder Levi Greenwood – while the Lions acquired Collingwood's fourth-round draft pick (No.67).

According to Aphex, the Lions can take early bragging rights in the deal, with the software program ranking Beams, who has played every game and averaged 29 disposals, the best recruit of 2015.

Aphex is a program used by several AFL clubs in their list management and recruiting departments. It ranks every player in the competition based on their projected WAR (Wins Against Replacements).

The formula has been devised and developed by Australian-based baseball talent identification experts including Brett Ward, who is an international scout for the Baltimore Oriole

Crisp has had Huge Influence on the Side and In Face we are a Better Side with Crisp.

You could say Lions are as bad or as worse with Beams in there side

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-06-19/lions-land-recruit-of-the-year

didick 

didick

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:56 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I found this a strange article, DTM.

For one, it really didn't say how the WAR is calculated. I remember leaving the Gabba after Rd 1 and listening to the muppets on the radio here and one had Beams BOG. I couldn't believe it. He had lots of disposals, which it turned out were mostly handballs, backwards.

And the biggest thing is, yes, maybe they have done well getting Beams to their team. However there is no way it's a win-win. I'm sure the analysis doesn't compare to Beams v Crisp + De Goey + Greenwood!!

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:57 pm

No doubt Beams has been great and he is a big loss for us.
But, half way thru the season the question should be:
Beams or Crisp and DeGoey and Greenwood?
I think most would choose the latter.

doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:29 pm

Yes,that's true^.Three players are always greater than one,unless they're complete duds.But that obviously doesn't apply here.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:45 pm

As usual, it is very silly to compare these stats when the season is not even over yet. What happens if Beams gets a season ending injury next week?

The fairest method is to compare the 3 Collingwood players to Beams after 2 seasons at the very least.

MagpiesTheGreat 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:03 pm

In Eddie we trust
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:09 pm

The fact that the list doesn't include Crisp for whatever reason equates to a fail for mine.

Varcoe has been good for us but Crisp has been even better IMO.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:57 pm

F W I W and a few might find this interesting, John Deeble ( scout for Red Sox and Australias '' Mr baseball '') spoke last year on the W A R talent identification program. Is been around for a while in baseball and Deeble believed as many as 5 / 6 A F L clubs will be using it by the end of 2015. He wouldn't reveal the clubs.
Its a program that's designed to tangibly represent the difference a player makes to the clubs win loss ratio.
I believe last year, the highest rating was Ablett at something like 2.7 games difference to the G C S winning with him as opposed to without him over a season. ( yes, I know, you would think it would be higher )
I believe ultimately, the program will be tweaked to show an AFL players contribution in terms of points gained or saved per match rather than games won or lost.
Rumour has it that the Kangas pursued Del Santo on the back of this program.

All its saying is that Beams is proving to be a major contributor to their performances (I know they have been crap but basically they would be a lot worse without him ) From what I remember, its a program that is weighted against players who haven't played many games simply because there is just not enough match day experience to draw on within all the programs parameters. In other words, Jack Crisp wouldn't get the chance to come out ahead of Beams with this program until Crisp maybe gets in another 100 or so games with Pies.

Don't sweat it Dave, we all know how valuable Crisp has been.
Kwah-LeBaire 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:52 pm
Post subject: Re: Proof of Stats can LieReply with quote

Quote:
Aphex is a program used by several AFL clubs in their list management and recruiting departments. It ranks every player in the competition based on their projected WAR (Wins Against Replacements).

Close, but no cigar. The statistic is Wins Above Replacement, a Sabermetrics measure. Read about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wins_Above_Replacement

You can read about Sabermetrics here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabermetrics

And you can read about the film/book which made it all famous, Moneyball, here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moneyball
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:56 pm
Post subject: Re: Proof of Stats can LieReply with quote

Kwah-LeBaire wrote:
Quote:

Close, but no cigar. The statistic is Wins Above Replacement, a Sabermetrics measure. Read about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wins_Above_Replacement

You can read about Sabermetrics here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabermetrics

And you can read about the film/book which made it all famous, Moneyball, here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moneyball

That's the baseball terminology which has evidently been adopted/adapted to AFL with a slight (but not meaningful) name change: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-01-24/the-new-moneyball

The film very much oversimplified the main thrust of sabermetrics which was pretty simple in suggesting that economic principles should be applied to baseball franchises and you should buy "assets" (players) the market undervalues and sell those the market overvalues. At the time of the book OBP was undervalued and BA and fielding were overvalued, but that changed pretty quickly. Obviously the main thrust of work in sabermetrics has been to more accurately value players' contributions and there have been and are several different models for doing that.

Anyway, although this is in its infancy in the AFL I have no doubt that this (or similar systems) as it/they develop will be the way of the future for managing AFL lists and salaries.

EDIT I should add that it would be silly to merely compare the WAR for Beams vs Crisp/De Goey/Greenwood because (in a salary cap league like the AFL) salaries ( ie cost per WAR) is relevant and there is a large "future" element in De Goey (and Crisp for that matter). So in valuing each side of the trade you would need to project forward for those matters and also make assumptions re the risks of those players nominating for draft when contracts expire or FA/RFA. It can all be modelled but involves a lot of assumptions. It is a bit easier in MLB because players are tied to clubs for the first 6 MLB years - 3 at league minimum salary and 3 arbitration years (generally below market - I don't have the historical %s handy, but something like 40, 60, 80 % for years 4, 5 and 6).

Last edited by MightyMagpie on Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:26 pm

The problem with models from weather to economics is
the assumptions. In football the assumptions cannot be mathematically
accurate.

MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:33 pm

thompsoc wrote:
accurate.

Yes it is the old "ass" "u" "me" thing, but from weather to economics modelling is done because it provides the best foundation (albeit an often flawed one) to look forward. The judgment of those making the assumptions is important as is doing sensitivity anaylses to look at the effect of changes in various assumptions.

Didaksgoal Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:01 pm

Beamer is a gun, no questions asked.

For what we got in the Beam's trade along with Lumumba , we are doing better than OK......(Greenwood aside due to injury). Crisper is a natural footballer, and the plus with him, he kicks goals ,just like Beamer, a goal kicking mid (but certainly not in his class). Varcz has been very good too, he's proven me wrong so far.

Go the Pies!
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:50 pm

MightyMagpie wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
accurate.

Yes it is the old "ass" "u" "me" thing, but from weather to economics modelling is done because it provides the best foundation (albeit an often flawed one) to look forward. The judgment of those making the assumptions is important as is doing sensitivity anaylses to look at the effect of changes in various assumptions.

Absolutely true.
Well said.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:05 pm

As an economist I've always loved this definition of econometrics (which is basically economic statistics) as "a straight line drawn between an unrealistic assumption and a forgone conclusion".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: