Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Why do some guys go to the footy? How to stamp out racism

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
On the March 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:17 pm
Post subject: Why do some guys go to the footy? How to stamp out racismReply with quote

i thought I'd share my experience in going to todays ANZAC day match. Now I am a member of the club but I'd been a bit lazy about booking tickets however I did manage to get some standing room tickets last week. I haven't been in the standing room area for a long time so I wasnt sure what to expect.

We(my daughter and I - she's 20) got there just before the game as we had other commitments. As you can imagine it was pretty crowded. However after about 15 minutes we had snuggled into a good position under the great southern stand. People were drinking around us. Now thats not something I normally do myself but I don't have any objection to others drinking at the footy. But ....

It was clear quite early on this small group of guys were pissed before things even started. yes they were bomber 'supporters'. As the game went on and it became clear what was going to happen their behaviour just got worse and worse. There comments directed at Didak, Shaw, Cloke and other Pies players were disgusting. They even started to berate their own players.

however their worst comments were left to the end when they started making racist comments directed at our own Harry. Now its not necessary to go into it but for just a moment I was proud of my fellow footy fans. To a man each and every person (bomber fans included) around these guys said enough is enough and told these guys to stop. You can imagine the reaction but thats not the point. I thought it was a good indication of where footy fans are at with this sort of rubbish. Well done to all concerned!

They did however to continue to hurl their abuse and even started lighting up cigarettes during the last quarter. Thats when security stepped in and these guys left. Presumably to go to the their next drinking hole.

Anyway that was my experience today and despite these jerks my daughter and I had a great day. Not sure I'd go into standing room again though. Smile

Go pies!

Last edited by On the March on Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:19 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Good on you for roughing it in the trenches. Would love to have been there with you.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:42 pm

90070 people and 99.9% are well behaved. You ran into the .1% that have no intention of enjoying the game and their objective is to spoil your day.
chrisjjj 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:46 pm

I don't generally drink at matches (because i wanna watch the match) but do sometimes. Half the fun of going to a match for some guys is getting out and having a few drinks. The worse your team is going the more drinks you need and the better they are going the more drinks you need.
I like to try and keep the colourful language toned down but I'm not above calling someone like Milne a rapist. Not because he can hear me but to rev up opposition supporters like yourself.
The worse thing YOU can do is give a reaction because then they know it's working.
the fuzz 

Fuzz loves Bruzz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:46 pm

There's always idiots like that.... I thought it was just near me!!!! Glad you stuck with it, and we had the last laugh! Wink
Black_White Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:01 pm

I've been to games with Bummer supporters entrenched and generally found them to be OK, winning or losing.
I fear that alcohol is the problem here, and alcohol knows no footy allegiance boundaries. I suspect that we have some supporters who will fall into the same category as posted by the thread starter.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:14 pm

See my thread in the VPT. Is there a theme emerging?

Perhaps it's just a simple equation of public holiday = piss-up. I hope that's all it is.

mandy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:27 pm

One of my brothers friends was leaving after the game tonight with one of her mates who happens to be an Essendon player. She was verbally attacked by a bunch of Collingwood supporters with such classy questions like "Don't you wish you were rooting a Collingwood player now???"

Then they threw a bottle at her head. Shocked

#SIDEBYSIDE
Cakewalk 

For a minute there I lost myself , I lost myself

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:41 pm

^You'd hope the player stepped in , or contacted security.
JC Hartley Cancer

16 premierships now in the history books. Let's be the first club to 17 premierships.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:45 pm

I had an idiot of a bombers fan who decided to bring up last year's clutch victory they had against us. I told him to focus on today's performance because in my mind, we destroyed our curse.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:56 am

mandy wrote:
One of my brothers friends was leaving after the game tonight with one of her mates who happens to be an Essendon player. She was verbally attacked by a bunch of Collingwood supporters with such classy questions like "Don't you wish you were rooting a Collingwood player now???"

Then they threw a bottle at her head. Shocked

That's pretty ugly behaviour.

Some people don't know how to leave their rivalries at the game.

neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:11 am

Instant deadshit just add alcohol!!!
Nothing wrong with going to a game and having a few Beers as long as you can control your behavior.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:04 am

Many years ago a Bomber mad mate of mine and I went to Windy Hill,standing room only. Somehow we ended up right in the middle of the Essendon cheer squad, and i had a bugger of a day.They were literally feral lunatics, most of them pissed. and i did not say a word. The game ended in a draw, and i have not been back to that dump since. Bomber barrackers are a breed apart.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
I@n S 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:09 am

Seems the standing area is a reserved area for dickheads. Mostly Richmond fans in my experience. I just keep my mouth shut if I need to go past them to the toilet or get food etc.

As for being Racist to Harry. That would be nothing new to him. He knows all about that growing up. Doubt he could hear it from the playing area anyway.

Love ya Harry O! I think i have found my first man crush since bucks lol
5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:27 am
Post subject: Re: Why do some guys go to the footyReply with quote

On the March wrote:
i thought I'd share my experience in going to todays ANZAC day match. Now I am a member of the club but I'd been a bit lazy about booking tickets however I did manage to get some standing room tickets last week. I haven't been in the standing room area for a long time so I wasnt sure what to expect.

We(my daughter and I - she's 20) got there just before the game as we had other commitments. As you can imagine it was pretty crowded. However after about 15 minutes we had snuggled into a good position under the great southern stand. People were drinking around us. Now thats not something I normally do myself but I don't have any objection to others drinking at the footy. But ....

It was clear quite early on this small group of guys were pissed before things even started. yes they were bomber 'supporters'. As the game went on and it became clear what was going to happen their behaviour just got worse and worse. There comments directed at Didak, Shaw, Cloke and other Pies players were disgusting. They even started to berate their own players.

however their worst comments were left to the end when they started making racist comments directed at our own Harry. Now its not necessary to go into it but for just a moment I was proud of my fellow footy fans. To a man each and every person (bomber fans included) around these guys said enough is enough and told these guys to stop. You can imagine the reaction but thats not the point. I thought it was a good indication of where footy fans are at with this sort of rubbish. Well done to all concerned!

They did however to continue to hurl their abuse and even started lighting up cigarettes during the last quarter. Thats when security stepped in and these guys left. Presumably to go to the their next drinking hole.

Anyway that was my experience today and despite these jerks my daughter and I had a great day. Not sure I'd go into standing room again though. Smile

Go pies!

M12 ??? These morons there were not the sharpest either.

Some of thier best work of the day was "Go back to Fiji Harrison" and "Get a kick Davies" presuming they were talking about Harry & Leon.

This went on from about 3/4 time onwards with a lot of F & C's (no, not fish & chips) as well. It seemed each was trying to out do each other with crudeness.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: