Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Could Turnbull change parties?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:12 pm
Post subject: Could Turnbull change parties?Reply with quote

And what would happen?

I think it was our Eddie who I heard once make the off hand comment that Turnbull joined the wrong party.

Turnbull is more popular as preferred PM than Bill and Bud combined, yet Big Mal is more popular with Labor voters than with Libs, and has a lot of people in the Liberal party who hate his guts for being too left. (and probably because he has never suffered fools well and there's a few of them in the political machine)

Could he be convinced by Labor to change parties? If he could he'd be a monty to oust Bill and be a Labor PM, but would the Unions wear him coming over at all?

Could he do it and retain any credibility? The right would attack him ferociously for being a turn coat and plenty in Labor wouldn't want him.

Could it work?

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:20 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

No.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:21 pm

He'd be better suited to the Liberal Democrats; economic right, socially progressive.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:23 pm
Post subject: Re: Could Turnbull change parties?Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
And what would happen?

I think it was our Eddie who I heard once make the off hand comment that Turnbull joined the wrong party.

Turnbull is more popular as preferred PM than Bill and Bud combined, yet Big Mal is more popular with Labor voters than with Libs, and has a lot of people in the Liberal party who hate his guts for being too left. (and probably because he has never suffered fools well and there's a few of them in the political machine)

Could he be convinced by Labor to change parties? If he could he'd be a monty to oust Bill and be a Labor PM, but would the Unions wear him coming over at all?

Could he do it and retain any credibility? The right would attack him ferociously for being a turn coat and plenty in Labor wouldn't want him.

Could it work?

He's socially progressive but still a Lib Stui, he wants privatization of everything. Too slimey for mine.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:24 pm

I'm pretty sure that Keating was trying to get him to join the NSW right and was a little surprised and disappointed when he joined the Libs.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:00 pm

Can't see him as a Labor man. Too much of an individualist. And not the Greens; he's not that progressive. Maybe the Democrats would have been a good fit if they still existed.

He probably hopes that the Libs will come around to his kind of liberalism at some point or other. Given the soul-searching that will happen post-Abbott, that might well be the case. And not a bad thing either, I might add.

Last edited by David on Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:02 pm

That is something I haven't heard of.
partypie 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:04 pm

It's almost as if some elements of the Liberal Party would rather lose power than elect Malcolm as leader. I do know there was a concerted effort a few years ago to rid the party of more progressive MPs. It could be why now they seem to be bereft of policies.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:37 pm

If he is the Most Popular guy for PM.

God we have Stuff all in Parliament

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:38 pm

partypie wrote:
It's almost as if some elements of the Liberal Party would rather lose power than elect Malcolm as leader.

There is no "almost". They would rather lose power. They can't stand Turnbull. They didn't like the way he ran his office when he was leader - and yes, he was hard to communicate with and stand-offish and rode roughshod over policy issues dear to them. Credlin is far worse, of course, but Credlin/Abbott make stupid hard-right captain's calls they tend to like more often than not, so they put up with it. Turnbull doesn't toe their rigid idealogical line so they don't feel comfortable with im as leader.

Worse, Turnbull can think, after a fashion, and communicate effectively, and does not constantly resort to asinine three word oversimplifications. He is, in short, an existential threat to their rigid, narrow-minded world-view - far more of a threat than any of the Labor leaders who they can simply ignore even if they are smart and articulate. (Few are, as it happens.)

Turnbull, in short, is seen as a very serious threat to the simple-minded extremist Tea-Party faction in the Liberal Party, which accounts for around two-thirds of them these days. A credible, intelligent right-wing spokesman is far more dangerous to these simple-minded stormtroopers than any Labor leader could ever be.

Yes, in one word, they'd rather be in opposition. They'd rather be in a cell proclaiming the Word of the Prophet than be brought out into the real world and have to think beyond the religious dogma they believe in.

(This, of course, is exactly the same trap that has wrecked the Republican Party in the USA: the Tea Party fanatics are so hell-bent on maintaining their purity that they can and do cheerfully contemplate bringing the entire nation to its knees by blocking vital routine money bills; they go to the polls loudly preaching "legitimate rape" and destruction of the heath-care system and all sorts of other electoral insanities, and they keep on doing it even though they know that it will fail, even though they know they could achieve far more of their agenda by keeping quiet about the extremist beliefs and aiming for the possible rather than the absurd. They would rather die in the Name of the Prophet than consider evidence, make balanced judgments, and govern for the good of the nation.)

partypie wrote:
I do know there was a concerted effort a few years ago to rid the party of more progressive MPs. It could be why now they seem to be bereft of policies.

Exactly. As ye sow, so shall ye reap.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:55 pm

Could Turnbull change Parties?

I think he could change the Liberal Party.

Last edited by watt price tully on Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:55 pm

^ Yes, I agree with all of that Tannin. The bovine shallowness of the Republican Party in the US today is a travesty of the great party of Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt and Eisenhower.

The Australian Liberals once a fine party of cautious and pragmatic reform, home to people of stature such as Menzies, Hamer, Fraser and Gorton - seem to have gone the same way. In the UK, it is the Labour Party that seems about to self-immolate on a pyre of superannuated certainties, unless the bookies are all wrong.

It is as though the moral and social fragmentation of our times makes people cleave more grimly than ever to caricature and sloganising. I think we are far too confident that the basics of our material and civic life are unbreakable. We certainly seem bent on testing them to destruction.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:59 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Could Turnbull change Parties?

I think he could change the Liberal Party.
I am sure he could.
regan is true fullback 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:19 am

partypie wrote:
Quote:
I do know there was a concerted effort a few years ago to rid the party of more progressive MPs. It could be why now they seem to be bereft of policies.

His name was Kroger, he was a showman

But he wanted to get, all his uni friends a job,

at the Party, the Liberal Party...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: