Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Rare Sighting: Serious, Resolute, Responsible Leadership

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:12 am
Post subject: Rare Sighting: Serious, Resolute, Responsible LeadershipReply with quote

Very pleased to see Merkel confronting, wearing and weathering the storm against an opportunist, racist parasite party.

She is one of those rare leaders with the fortitude to take on an enormous challenge with a mind to resolving it properly, rather than palming it off on tomorrow; acting to her own immediate benefit; parasiting off the usual redneck fear and bigotry; or allowing chaos and death to brew into a monstrous pan-regional time bomb that could very quickly destabilise the planet.

Merkel has shown an insight and courage under extreme pressure which is three steps ahead of the usual clowns. Of course, she knew she'd take a whack for it, but that's the very definition of leadership. Now, she has time to try to put what is a domestic and pan-regional matter on a more solid footing before the next election.

The Guardian wrote:
Merkel refuses to abandon refugee policy despite election setbacks

German chancellor says solution requires time after anti-immigrant Alternative für Deutschland makes gains in state polls

Angela Merkel has described Sunday’s regional elections in Germany as a “difficult day” for her party after the strong gains made by the anti-immigrant Alternative für Deutschland (AfD), but said she would stick by her open-door policy on refugees.

The refugee question requires a European solution – a sustainable solution – and that solution requires time,” the German chancellor said at a press conference in Berlin on Monday.

AfD entered state parliaments in all three regions that voted, winning 24% of the vote in Saxony-Anhalt and more than 10% in Baden-Württemberg and Rhineland-Palatinate. Merkel’s Christian Democrat party (CDU) lost support in Baden-Württemberg, a region dominated by the CDU since the end of the second world war, and Rhineland Palatinate but remained the largest party in Saxony-Anhalt.

She conceded that the rise of the AfD was a sign of protest against the “unresolved question of the number of refugees” and “fears about integration”. She said she saw the AfD as “not an existential problem for the CDU, but a problem”.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/mar/14/germany-election-result-warning-merkel-far-right-afd

This is a handy analysis showing the seriousness behind the decisions, and the broader and looming factors under consideration. Fe wof us outside Germany even have a sense of the geography under consideration here. Far, far more than Merkel's party's fortunes are at stake here. That entire region, from North Africa to Russia, is going to continue to collide like great continental plates for many years to come.

This broader context is exactly why it is so negligent, and detached, to vote for incompetent, un-serious twits like George W., Tony Abbott, Drumpf, and the various ignorant UK opportunists getting about at the moment.

While pills like the Bigoted Brexiters hide on their little island back in 19th-century fantasy land pontificating like Little Lords Muck, Merkel is dealing with Russia on one side, and Turkey on the other. As if any sane person would want a Ronald McDrumpf dealing with problems of this magnitude and seriousness from Washington D.C. Rolling Eyes

Yet, without Europe taking responsibility, led by Germany, and with the UK being turned into a tiny-minded, backward "me me" whinge haven, that's exactly what the world could end up with.

The Guardian wrote:
Germany’s election result is a warning to Merkel – not a far-right triumph

With no mainstream outlet for discontent over migration, the real problem facing the chancellor is not AfD gains but the future effects of her deal with Turkey

How bad the outcome really was for the CDU and, by extension, for Merkel, however, depends to a large degree on your expectations. The most extreme forecast had been that the CDU would be trounced to the point that Merkel would have to consider her position. That did not happen. The CDU was not erased. The chancellor has been weakened, but she lives to fight another day.

At the other extreme, there had been a hope – albeit faint – that voters would rally around Merkel almost as an act of defiance and an expression of confidence in a new, more modern, more diverse and more generous Germany. That did not happen either. The anti-migrant party Alternative for Germany (AfD) significantly increased its vote, reaching double figures in all three states that voted on Sunday and qualifying for representation in the regional legislatures. So Germany, for all its history, is not immune to the far right after all.

In the event, though, Germans voted more cannily, and more realistically, than first reactions gave them credit for. And the effects of the far-right vote were different in each region. In Saxony-Anhalt, a poor state in the east, the AfD overtook the centre-left Social Democrats, SPD, to take second place to the CDU. In Baden-Württemberg, the Greens were the main beneficiaries of Merkel’s woes, while in Rhineland Palatinate it was the SPD, and the fortunes of the regional CDU leader, Julia Klöckner, who is seen as a possible heir to Merkel, suffered a blow.

In the end, neither the flight from the CDU nor the embrace of AfD was so whole-hearted that it transformed the complexion of German politics. In each state the major party remains the same, but the coalitions will have to be reconfigured. Nor is there the slightest prospect of the AfD entering government at the regional level. It is still, for the time being at least, a protest party.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/mar/14/germany-election-result-warning-merkel-far-right-afd

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:22 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankfully the people are waking up and disagree entirely with your sentiment.

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/03/13/merkel-drubbed-at-the-ballot-box-as-surging-nationalists-declare-people-voted-against-migrant-her-policy/

Now that the Right Wing taboo has been broken in Germany I'd expect the Nationalist party to do better and better as the situation in Germany devolves even further.

The only thing that has arrested the social decline in Germany is the poor, frontier nations putting up border fences. With 2/3 of migrants illiterate and a large majority being young males this situation is years, if ever and billions of Euros away from being resolved.

Glad you can sit back away from the situation and praise those who would commit cultural suicide. Western Civilization is only the greatest, most advanced, most moral and ethical society that has managed to grow on this Earth. More geniuses, more artists, more inventions have come from Western Europe and Great Britain than anywhere at any time in History but sure, lets tear it all down in the name of the great God Diversity.

FWIW, I hope Britain has the balls to leave Europe and Merkel and her CD are destroyed in 2017 elections. Maybe a Brexit will lead to the Nations of Europe rediscovering their own unique and diverse cultures and national identities and we can send this multicult nonsense into the bowels of history where it belongs.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:47 pm

Wokko wrote:
Thankfully the people are waking up and disagree entirely with your sentiment.......

The people? Waking up? Puuurlease.

Yes Lordy they've seen the light.

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:55 pm

Prejudice and fear of the other have always been vote-winners. Some see popular uprising; others just see voters being played like instruments by cynical politicians who know which fears can best be exploited at a given point in time. This is the way things have been since time immemorial.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:23 pm

Wokko, you can work to solve the problems coming your way, like it or not, like a mature and responsible adult, or you can grab an arse rub from the simpleton fear and anger vote, and hide away in the wardrobe hoping you'll tumble into Narnia and be saved by the magical Enlightenment Aslan.

There are no wars to win anymore, only wars to lose. Trade and development are the only games in town, and the rest of the world can either be engaged and understood and supported through to a more stable footing through mutually-beneficial arrangements, or you can chance your arm against the threat of *billions* of people falling into chaos, hating you, with technological access to your life.

It's not rural 18th-century Scotland anymore; there are no unenlightened lands out there with whom you remotely trade spices and slaves and greatly outgun; everyone is now at your door and in your living room, and everyone is a mutual economic competitor and partner.

It hasn't dawned on your world hideaway yet, with it's cold, mossy aspect shading you from the billions of human lives whose fates are now entwined, but it will.

Those who run the big numbers, or who work in serious world business, or who negotiate with Turkey, or Russia, or Saudi Arabia, or China or Iran or Nigeria or Indonesia or Central Asia or Eastern Europe, and beyond, would have a much better sense of just how urgently the world's burgeoning, mobile and teched-up population needs to be absorbed into workable, productive structures.

Look at the map; plot the populations; mark the issues; run the numbers; get out there with your measuring tape. There's no hiding under the skirts of your ancestors anymore. Leaders like Merkel, privy to the awesome forces pushing and pulling these other great popukations and economic power centres, just wouldn't miss this stuff if they were even half sane.

At the moment, Germany is at the centre of the geopolitical universe, and you'd be wise to start reconceiving the world from the perspective of contemporary German geography, rather than that of Old Britannia.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:40 pm

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:44 pm

Are you free?
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:23 pm

Laughing ain't that the truth Wokko!!!

I am hopeful that they will vote out purely as I think in turn it could lead to a unified Ireland - although they would still be in the EU under the rule of mad Merkel and junket head - at least we would be one country!

My only fear is that the unification proposal will bring about another round of " the troubles" - time will tell!

Leftie luvvies are why Trump the fruit loop is so popular - you can berate and belittle all you like but us cretins still get a vote - suffer in your jocks!! Razz

David Libra

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:54 pm

Morrigu wrote:
suffer in your jocks!! Razz

Not sure what makes you think you and everyone else won't be suffering just as much...

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:07 pm

David wrote:
Morrigu wrote:

Not sure what makes you think you and everyone else won't be suffering just as much...

Suffering what exactly????

If you luvvies had your way no one who disagrees with your opinion would have a say ( but we have and a vote and that was my point!) - although you mob always pay lip service to " freedom of speech" and the the right to protest AS long as they agree with the luvvie way of thinking cause anyone who disagrees is a bad ass, extreme right, racist, ignoramus, lover of Hitler blah blah blah nufty!

That's ok I do the same with gutless turds who trophy hunt - but I am honest about MY prejudice based on my beliefs and feelings - I'd like the turds to appreciate it but they don't!! And no matter how much I rant and rave and try and shove my opinion down the throats of those with a different viewpoint it doesn't and will not change a thing!!!

And neither will the belittling smug attitudes and lectures of the luvvies change the opinions of those who don't support mass uncontrolled migration particularly of too many young angry men from a medieval and misogynist culture - and hence the results of recent European elections!

I believe they call it democracy!

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:31 pm

^That's hopelessly irresponsible and facile, I'm afraid.

"The Internet took the wrong tone with me. Let's give the planet a swift, hard kick!"

"Hey, Abbott. You still look angry. Let's wreck something!"

Or, you could immerse yourself for five minutes in the German geopolitical space if you dare to take on any responsibility.

David Libra

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:33 pm

Morrigu wrote:
David wrote:
Morrigu wrote:

Suffering what exactly????

If you luvvies had your way no one who disagrees with your opinion would have a say ( but we have and a vote and that was my point!) - although you mob always pay lip service to " freedom of speech" and the the right to protest AS long as they agree with the luvvie way of thinking cause anyone who disagrees is a bad ass, extreme right, racist, ignoramus, lover of Hitler blah blah blah nufty!

That's ok I do the same with gutless turds who trophy hunt - but I am honest about MY prejudice based on my beliefs and feelings - I'd like the turds to appreciate it but they don't!! And no matter how much I rant and rave and try and shove my opinion down the throats of those with a different viewpoint it doesn't and will not change a thing!!!

And neither will the belittling smug attitudes and lectures of the luvvies change the opinions of those who don't support mass uncontrolled migration particularly of too many young angry men from a medieval and misogynist culture - and hence the results of recent European elections!

I believe they call it democracy!

Hey, don't lump me in with a group I don't belong to. I've always supported freedom of speech and consistently criticised attempts to clamp down on it, whether it comes from the left or right.

As for Trump, I'd love to say that election campaign doesn't affect us, but unfortunately it does – the election of an American president has huge ramifications for international diplomacy, the global economy and human (and animal!) lives in every country in the world. This isn't some football game; the US election can have (in some cases, devastating) real-world consequences. If Trump gets in, it won't just be the 'luvvies' (as you call them) who will suffer. It'll be everybody, including you.

By the way, we 'luvvies' have a spare seat on the anti-Trump bandwagon if you're interested:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3180201/Trump-defends-big-game-hunting-sons-shamed-Twitter-posing-trophy-kills-including-leopard-elephant-death-Cecil-lion.html

Compare with Clinton's stance on animal welfare, below. Who would you vote for, really?

http://www.seventeen.com/life/school/advice/a11156/spotlight-animal-rights/

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:37 pm

The sins of the sons damn the father now?

'I em, like golf. I don't do that.'
David Libra

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:01 pm

More the fact that he didn't really see it as a problem. Not an issue I'm hugely passionate about, but I thought I might be able to get a rise out of Morrigu at least. Razz
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:14 pm

David - I have long known of the activities of the Trump offspring long before he became a potential candidate - they are well entrenched in my bucket of human scum!

I seriously don't give a rats arse what happens in septic land - I have no time for them - there are more " exotic" animals living in captivity in that cesspit then there are in the wild and many more killed for fun by their wealthy citizens overseas for display on their walls - just evidence of their impotence but they don't get that either! I have travelled widely but have never stepped foot in the joint and never will - I try hard to be true to my ideals as irrational as they may be to others!!

Who wins what election there, here or anywhere else for that matter will make stuff all difference to true environmental protection or preservation or protection of the animals - non homo sapien species - so I seriously couldn't care less - makes little difference to the things I consider important - I have given up on the human race and rescinded any affiliation I had with humane or aid organisations - do as you will I don't have kids or grandkids - I will die happy that I have seen so many beautiful creatures living in their natural environments - shame the generations to come won't - but you reap what you sow!!

And on a personal everyday level who is elected and what policies they put in place will make little difference to me - they won't impact my life greatly - can't see quite frankly how I will suffer or benefit at all TBH!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: