Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The joy of entertaining footy

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:16 am
Post subject: The joy of entertaining footyReply with quote

I recall back in 2011 some of our supporters and Nicks members not really enjoying our regular wins. I understood the feeling and could relate to some extent and sometimes also felt that wins were often more a relief of not being let down given our dominance.

A win was expected and a loss of even a quarter was awful, however from the pits of our recent poor form has sprouted a new joy and excitement I have not felt for many years as a supporter.

The wins this year have been exciting and except for Anzac Day a bit of a surprise - the style of our wins has been thrilling over the last 2 weeks especially - fast movement of the ball - lots of pressure and genuine dash and taking the game on is fantastic.

I wonder whether it is our style that has me and others around me so excited during games or is it winning when you have become used to losing and not expecting a win?

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 12:13 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I think lots of us got burnt early and are just taking it one week at a time. Whatever your core belief is [Bucks in or Bucks out] we are enjoying the good footy at the moment but guarding against too much belief.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 12:16 pm

How are your core belief is [Bucks in or Bucks out] we enjoying the good footy at the moment but guarding against belief?
yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 12:38 pm

Cam wrote:
I think lots of us got burnt early and are just taking it one week at a time. Whatever your core belief is [Bucks in or Bucks out] we are enjoying the good footy at the moment but guarding against too much belief.

This joy is beyond the coaching speculation etc but yes it might relate to taking it one game at a time. Certainly back in 2011 my thinking was all about finals and maybe that was fair enough but it somehow detracted from the joy of winning games…

courtza 

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 12:44 pm

Can fully relate

Back in 10/11 I wouldnt really care if we won but I'd be dirty if we lost.

Now I'm not that disappointed when we lose but over the moon when we win.

I'm no pychologist but I reckon you need the bad to balance the good, like when I have a hard week at work I love Friday but if I have no work, Friday dosen't have the same glow.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 12:52 pm

courtza wrote:
Can fully relate

Back in 10/11 I wouldnt really care if we won but I'd be dirty if we lost.

Now I'm not that disappointed when we lose but over the moon when we win.

I'm no pychologist but I reckon you need the bad to balance the good, like when I have a hard week at work I love Friday but if I have no work, Friday dosen't have the same glow.

the losses give context and meaning to the wins. for me, as clichéd as it is, it's the journey. given the journey this season to date yesterday was very satisfying. i was very pleased for the team.

winning the premiership is the ultimate but at the start of the next season everyone is as at the same starting line.

regan is true fullback 

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 2:02 pm

I would like you to consider something else

Economics (social studies for rednecks) is vitally important in what we do, Footy wise.

After yesterdays amazing victory, the spring is back in the step.

But what happens when Collingwood has a shocker, as in 1982, 1999 or 1976?

Well in 1976 and 1982 the Magpies had only missed the finals twice in 20 years, so seeing them miss the finals was a novelty and the other supporters got their jollies by laughing at our misfortune.

By the time 1987 rolled around the Magpies had missed the finals in 82, 83, 85 and 86. They had a shocker in 1987, the very year that Harry Beitzell chose to relaunch the football magazine Footy Week and the VFL did a deal with the pay TV company Broadcom, to bring footy to pubs and clubs.

Needless to say both ventures were a disaster due in no small part to Magpie supporters voting with their wallets and staying home. The popular Richmond club had a similar shocker so no loot for you from that mob.

This sort of thing affects Inside Football, Fox Footy subscriptions, Monday newspapers and TV programs. When Geelong is winning the whole economy benefits from Colac to Queenscliff.

The Cardinals and the media are constantly pumping the tyres of Richmond, because they know that a healthy Tiger team is good for their bottom line.

So a healthy Collingwood is good for everybody!
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:52 pm

The losses definitely add to the excitement. The style of play for parts of the Essendon, Brisbane and Geelong wins has also been exciting and nothing has matched the excitement of the finish against Richmond.

The weekend's game was up and down: real excitement, even incredulity for the first quarter, then concern for 2.5 quarters that we may let them back in and finally returning to genuine excitement for the finish.

And the losses aren't all bad. I really enjoyed the middle two quarters of the Eagles game.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:51 am

I always love a win and get pumped whether it's 2011 when we were essentially dominating every week (except against Geelong) or in 2016 where we have an upset win against a so-called premiership contender.

I think the psychology behind one's reaction to a victory is interesting however considering we always aim to win week in week out yet some seem more excited by victories in leaner years than in strong years. I think every victory is exciting but of course some will stand out more than others.

I know that 2011 had a sense of inevitability about playing in the grand final that year but our journey to the last match of the year was still enthralling and we were in heaven smashing our rivals week in week out. Frankly I'd prefer to experience domination rather than experience inconsistency the way we have more often than not throughout the years.

duke750 

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 2:29 am

I remember the second game against Ess in 2011 when we made a great comeback, and I think it was Commeti who said during the commentary "It must be fun being a Collingwood supporter at the moment". It was, because we could win at will. But the heartbreak after the losses to Geelong (and the poor final series in general) was immense. Conversely, we seemed to come from nowhere to win in 2010 and that made the year really special.

The satisfaction over the past 2 weeks is not just that we won, but the type of football that we played. Exciting stuff. That first qtr against Geelong was as exciting as the first art of the 2010 prelim. Conversely, the losses this year have been hard to watch because of the abysmal style of footy that we played.

Take the game on!

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 4:38 am

You enjoy football more when you perceive that your team is having a RHG. That makes you feel better win or lose. People hate paying money to watch their team turn up and go through the motions. 59000 to Saturday's game was terrible and in saying that, if the team was performing better that was an 80k Crowd. That's If and that's football.

Now we have a Sunday 3.20pm game to get those crowd numbers up. Rolling Eyes
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:13 am

Funny you bring this up! Facebook brings back posts from years ago on the same date. In 2011 I wrote,

good one Collingwood same old same old, stuff around for the first half and then come out to play. How long is this going to work for? Give us 4 quarters of it already!

I remember being so pissed off all year because they did that, and unfortunately, proved me right!

Last weeks win was the best game I can remember since the 2010 prelim, which is still my favourite game since the 1990 grand final! Just a pure pleasure to watch!

yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:25 am

think positive wrote:
Funny you bring this up! Facebook brings back posts from years ago on the same date. In 2011 I wrote,

good one Collingwood same old same old, stuff around for the first half and then come out to play. How long is this going to work for? Give us 4 quarters of it already!

I remember being so pissed off all year because they did that, and unfortunately, proved me right!

Last weeks win was the best game I can remember since the 2010 prelim, which is still my favourite game since the 1990 grand final! Just a pure pleasure to watch!

That's exactly what I meant - i recall this kind of thinking was pretty common in 2011.. I think it is possibly a combination of things - including
1) living and enjoying the moment (losses bring you back to basics)
2) watching our team building at becoming a genuine contender after years of mediocrity (maybe 2007 was similar?)
3) An exciting young group that are playing fast modern footy when they switch on Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: