Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Why we are the greatest - never let them forget it.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:38 pm
Post subject: Why we are the greatest - never let them forget it.Reply with quote

Founding member of the VFL
120 seasons
80 finals series
15 flags
Only undefeated H&A season
1897 - 1939 37 finals series and 11 premierships
1945 - 1979 25 finals series and 2 premierships

Our record of consistant performance over the long haul is in another stratosphere to any club. 75% of our seasons have had us participating in a finals campaign. I don't have any facts or figures relating to world sport but I would be astonished if any sporting club anywhere even approached such a success rate over such an extended period of time.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:49 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the great problems at Collingwood is that we live too much in the past.
It is a strength and a burden.
2 flags in 60 years is not great.
Man U, Dallas Cowboys and a host of other teams are so much bigger than us.
Personally I think our profile and support is diminishing.
Also think Adelaide is the sporting capital of Australia if you look at it on a per capital basis.

droversdog65 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:56 pm

One of America's greatest weaknesses is they have no respect for history.

No one is talking of size here - my OP was about consistant excellence of performance over a very long time period. That record is indusputable - it's there in black and white - and that is both a joke and incontestable FACT.

As I've said in previous posts thommo you seem to delight in negative postings, I do hope the sun is shining for you wherever you are.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:06 pm

droversdog65 wrote:

No one is talking of size here - my OP was about consistant excellence of performance over a very long time period. That record is indusputable - it's there in black and white - and that is both a joke and incontestable FACT.

As I've said in previous posts thommo you seem to delight in negative postings, I do hope the sun is shining for you wherever you are.

Live in the distant past man.
That is all this post is about.
Go back to pre 1950.
There were 4 teams who were basket cases
So there were only about 8 real teams in our first 60 years.
In my lifetime I have seen 2 flags!
And I am friggin not happy about that.
Sick to death of people thinking we are the greatest when
we have fallen so much in the last half century.
The job of winning flags is much more difficult now than in our glory years.
I want to be the best NOW and not the best 50 years ago!

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:35 pm

thompsoc wrote:
droversdog65 wrote:

Go back to pre 1950.

I want to root Beyonce too.....just saying. Embarassed
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:49 pm

We are the best now because of such happy people as yourself thommo **rollseyes.gif**

Success now depends on building over a period of time, the AFL has enforced that so everyone is in a treadmill - except the expansion clubs.

I realize you have a low patience threshold but even a cursory look at VFL/AFL history shows that there are periods where teams dominate and conversely where they sink back to the pack.

Instant gratification is a lovely concept but unattainable in a footballing environment for the most part. No team can be the best indefinitely, we had a short period of dominance from the 2nd half of the '10 season until the tail end of the '11 season which should have seen us win back to backs.

Hawthorn - supposedly unbeatable in the early part of this season has finally come off their high. The same thing happened with the cats.

The job of winning flags Thommo is NEVER easy, do you imagine the other 7 teams meekly surrendered every time the Pies walked onto the park in those early years ???

I have been following the Pies since 1964 Thommo and I too have only seen 2 flags, but I follow the TEAM and the CLUB. Flags are fantastic and should be the goal of every season but it's a JOURNEY with many pitfalls along the way.

If you want instant and constant gratification I would suggest you flnd some other way to pass your time because following a football club - ANY - football club is an excercise in frustration 90% of the time.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:54 pm

droversdog65 wrote:
We are the best now because of such happy people as yourself thommo **rollseyes.gif**

Success now depends on building over a period of time, the AFL has enforced that so everyone is in a treadmill - except the expansion clubs.

I realize you have a low patience threshold but even a cursory look at VFL/AFL history shows that there are periods where teams dominate and conversely where they sink back to the pack.

Instant gratification is a lovely concept but unattainable in a footballing environment for the most part. No team can be the best indefinitely, we had a short period of dominance from the 2nd half of the '10 season until the tail end of the '11 season which should have seen us win back to backs.

Hawthorn - supposedly unbeatable in the early part of this season has finally come off their high. The same thing happened with the cats.

The job of winning flags Thommo is NEVER easy, do you imagine the other 7 teams meekly surrendered every time the Pies walked onto the park in those early years ???

I have been following the Pies since 1964 Thommo and I too have only seen 2 flags, but I follow the TEAM and the CLUB. Flags are fantastic and should be the goal of every season but it's a JOURNEY with many pitfalls along the way.

If you want instant and constant gratification I would suggest you flnd some other way to pass your time because following a football club - ANY - football club is an excercise in frustration 90% of the time.

I still want to root Beyonce. Embarassed
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:57 pm

Meh she's a looker alright but I've seen better
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:01 pm

NY Yankees say hi!
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:04 pm

droversdog65 wrote:

Where should I start on that.
I won't except for one thing.
You just don't get the thrust of my comments.
It is about being one step ahead of the pack.
We were in the glory days but not in your lifetime.
Why?
There was a bit of bad luck but there was so much self inflicted pain.
From not getting Lockett to not thinking about running the grand final breakfast....hello Norf.

Not paying players the right money to Tuddy and Co....etc .
Collingwood was always tightly controlled by certain families and certain characters.
No new or innovative thinking just follow the pack.
We stagnated in our thinking in the the second half of the 20th century and other teams shot by.
The instant gratification jibe is funny.
That is code for lets do what we have done so far which is not much.
And a big cheerio to Ed who in a few years time will rack up his 21st birthday at Pieland.
Get what I mean about being controlled by certain characters.
The smell of stagnation is strong.

Last edited by thompsoc on Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Darkstranger 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:07 pm

thompsoc wrote:
droversdog65 wrote:

Go back to pre 1950.

Why so negative? Swings and roundabouts! Oh, get a life!

PS: 43 GFs in 120 years, do the math.....

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:10 pm

Darkstranger wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
droversdog65 wrote:

Go back to pre 1950.

Why so negative? Swings and roundabouts! Oh, get a life!

PS: 43 GFs in 120 years, do the math.....

And why be so upbeat on 2 flags in 60 years.
Oh well swings and roundabouts!

droversdog65 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:11 pm

Well Thommo you seem to have a one track mind so why the hell are you following this team old son?

You seem to be making it your personal mission to drag down every piece of positive thinking. If you are so unhappy why persist or do you glory in it?

Anyway I know what you are about now so lets just say we disagree 180 degrees and leave it at that eh?
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:19 pm

droversdog65 wrote:
Well Thommo you seem to have a one track mind so why the hell are you following this team old son?

You seem to be making it your personal mission to drag down every piece of positive thinking. If you are so unhappy why persist or do you glory in it?

Anyway I know what you are about now so lets just say we disagree 180 degrees and leave it at that eh?

Keep dreaming that your positive thinking or my so called negative thinking will make one iota of difference to the club.
And to say "go support another team" is just the usual way of putting a poster down.
I could easily say ...why don't you be a door mat for the current crap admin who are just laughing at the lap dogs who are blindly supporting them.

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:26 pm

We've been leapfrogged boys.

I know it, You know it, We know it, and They know it... the only thing we have left is our four peat, and playing in and losing more grand finals than any other team.

We need to put things in perspective and stop accepting 2nd best.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4   

Jump to: