Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

How to watch a replay

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:56 pm
Post subject: How to watch a replayReply with quote

What's the best way to watch the footy these days? (Not counting living in Melbourne and going to real games.)

I'm not particularly interested in watching games live. I prefer to watch them on radio, and look at the replay later, but sometimes a live feed would be a small bonus.

Free to air telecasts:
Pro:free
Against: many matches not telecast. Stupid advertisements. Hopeless commentatoirs. You have to have a TV. Usually only telecast live or delayed, you can't watch it when you want to. No slo-mo, pause, replay.
Question: why does anyone still watch this?
Summary: forget it.

Pay TV:
Pro:has more games than FTA
Against: Very expensive - you have to pay for all sorts of other crap you don't want. Most of the FTA deal-breakers apply too.
Question: Do they really think I'm that stupid?
Summary: not a chance.

AFL Live:
Pro. Claims to have every match. Can watch it when you want to. Cost reasonable.
Against. How well does it work on desktop computers? (We all know it's horribly broken on mobile; that's OK, I'm only interested in seeing it on a real computer.)
Question: Can you download a match and watch it off-line? Or do you have to put up with some crappy player app?
Summary: could be worth considering.

Torrents:
Pro: used to be beautifully presented.
Against: pain in the A to download, questionable legality.
Question: do they even exist anymore?
Summary: Probably more trouble than it's worth.

AFL: What an Excellent Service:
Pro: used to be the perfect way to watch the footy. Download, play in a proper media player. What when you want, how you want, pause, fast-forward, replay, slow-mo, whatever you like.
Against: Nothing. Except that it doesn't seem to exist anymore.
Question: Will this ever come back?
Summary: If I can't find something half as good as this used to be, I'll just give up football and take up some other sport. (Baseball maybe, or Rugby Union.)

Footy on DVD
Pro: every game, watch it however you like, no ads, replay using a decent player (i.e., not a bloody web browser), watch anywhere even if you are out of reach of an Internet connection.
Against: costs a bit, takes too long after the game before you can watch it.
Question: these guys used to advertise right here on Nick's. Now I can't find them anywhere on the site. Have they gone out of business?
Summary: worth considering.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:02 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloading Torrent and It's not that Hard
T2 Sagittarius

T2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:28 pm

The updated international streaming website/platform seems much improved this year. It lets you watch games live and replays are on demand. This option only works if you (appear as though you) are overseas Wink

Whilst there is no way around the subscription fee, it's 'free' for the preseason if you set up an account now - so it's at least worth trying. Just remember to cancel your subscription before 23 March (I think) to avoid being charged.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:36 pm

The ideal scenario outside all games being available on FTA would be if you could just pay for the games you want at a reasonable price and stream them to your PC or smart TV if you have one.

Of course Foxtel do not wish that as they make more money if they can sign you up for a television subscription.

As noted above if you have a VPN service and pretend you're outside Australia you can purchase a pass here https://www.watchafl.com.au/
and view live or replayed matches on your PC.

The downside is you need to know how to use a VPN (not a problem for you I know), pay for it and also pay a higher premium than the AFL live pass available to Australian residents.

The AFL live pass appears a decent enough alternative now that I understand you don't need to be a Telstra customer to use it (though you need to attain a Telstra ID whatever that is) with the major drawback being it's use is limited to phones and tablets.

However over on Bigfooty someone has mentioned a program called Kodi that apparently allows one to use there PC to stream the content from your AFL live pass.

As yet I haven't looked into the specifics of that program.

simon tonna 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:58 pm

Please tannin as a friend from cyber space do not use the afl live pass service which I have. It gave me grief last night and sent me into post traumatic subscription disorder. I'm very lucky to have my tablet still. The concept was ideal for myself at this moment, I even had a smart to to broadcast the game on. Ideal I know, but it just wouldn't work.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:59 pm
Post subject: Re: How to watch a replayReply with quote

Tannin wrote:

Free to air telecasts:
Against: many matches not telecast. Stupid advertisements. Hopeless commentatoirs. You have to have a TV. Usually only telecast live or delayed, you can't watch it when you want to. No slo-mo, pause, replay.

There's various FTA TV attachments that work with computers. Surely you could set up an arial conection to your PC and record games straight from FTA to your hard drive, then watch them later at your convenience?

My 10 year old Medion PC (which is now out the back gathering dust) had a coax connection on the back for an arial connection and the ability to record TV

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:25 pm

simon tonna wrote:
Please tannin as a friend from cyber space do not use the afl live pass service which I have. It gave me grief last night and sent me into post traumatic subscription disorder. I'm very lucky to have my tablet still. The concept was ideal for myself at this moment, I even had a smart to to broadcast the game on. Ideal I know, but it just wouldn't work.

Suprise People Believed the AFL and Telstra could do something right Laughing

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:26 pm
Post subject: Re: How to watch a replayReply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
Tannin wrote:

Free to air telecasts:

There's various FTA TV attachments that work with computers. Surely you could set up an arial conection to your PC and record games straight from FTA to your hard drive, then watch them later at your convenience?

My 10 year old Medion PC (which is now out the back gathering dust) had a coax connection on the back for an arial connection and the ability to record TV

and Foxtel will try and get all the Game so there is NO games on Free to Air

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:34 pm

^

I think there's a law against that dave.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:49 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

I think there's a law against that dave.

Don't put it past Rupert to Bribe the Government to get his way

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:49 pm

Watch on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwUl8Gz6IjY

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:18 pm

Conspiracy theories don't interest me, plus I have Foxtel so I can record any game I want.
simon tonna 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:20 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
simon tonna wrote:

Suprise People Believed the AFL and Telstra could do something right Laughing

Yeah hook line and sinker.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:23 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Conspiracy theories don't interest me, plus I have Foxtel so I can record any game I want.

Not Everyone has the Money to get Foxtrel Sadly

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:28 pm

T2 wrote:
The updated international streaming website/platform seems much improved this year. It lets you watch games live and replays are on demand. This option only works if you (appear as though you) are overseas Wink

Whilst there is no way around the subscription fee, it's 'free' for the preseason if you set up an account now - so it's at least worth trying. Just remember to cancel your subscription before 23 March (I think) to avoid being charged.

Given that I live outside Australia, it's a great service. A bit pricey at £22 GBP per month, but it does deliver a quality stream and replays are put up quickly after the game. So if a VPN in Australia lets you get access to it, it'd be worth it, in my view.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: