Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

2017 and beyond

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:15 am
Post subject: 2017 and beyondReply with quote

The main thoughts around Nicks is our window is really open 2017 and onwards
We have some glaring holes still in our list mainly elite skills, elite speed and KPP
For argument sake I decided we should look at who's tradable and who's isn't.
It's a purely subjective opinion and obviously we can't trade away everyone we might be lucky to trade 3 or 4 per year plus delist another couple add to that maybe 2/3 retirements so I have listed all players below and will make my comments on each

1. Alex Fasalo - An enigma in many ways offers the world but seldom delivers but shows you signs he could. Small forwards with genuine goals kicking skills along with huge forward pressure are not as common as many may think.
Lots try but not many impact the game every week. For mine is tradable

2. Sam Dwyer - Really hasn't shown anything major to demand staying tradable

3. Brent McCaffer - Coming off a second knee will most likely struggle to find a weekly spot in our best 22. Has been a willing servant to the club. Tradable

4. Brodie Grundy - Shaping as a dominant ruckman for years to come. Still,learning the game at this level but has shown marked improvement in his career thus far. Needs to improve on his marking and kicking but is hard worker. Not for trade

5. Jamie Elliott - One of the best small forwards in the game. Is one of our better kicks consistently and has a huge leap. Can pinch hit in the mids but more valuable up forward. Not for trade

6. Tyson Goldsack - Mr fix it in many aspects and a tireless worker. Wouldn't be the first selected each week but more often than not does the job the coach asks. Limited talent but squeezes every ounce out of himself. Available for trade only to land big fish

7. Ben Kennedy - Many on herder love this kid and I fall into the category of wish I saw it. I want the kid to succeed but every time he's in the seniors he just seems a bit off the pace. Maybe he needs more consistent games in a row to make a firm decision. Tradable

8. Tom Langdon - A unsung hero of our backline the past 2 seasons. Does his job every week without being outstanding and showy. I would imagine is a coaches dream. Looks like could be a mid or a wingman as well if required. Not for trade

9. Jesse White - Has Bucks shown his hand this week where promise doesn't carry any more merit. For mine is a player who looks like be anything but seldom delivers. Tradable

10. Scott Pendlebury - No debate required wouldn't trade him for 10 Gary Ablettd

11. Jarryd Blair - The man who polarises this site. Doesn't show enough as a mid to hold a spot not as a small forward. Can kick important goals and no one could deny his endeavour but he's just not quite there in too many other areas tradable

12. Matthew Scharenberg - The big question mark is is he staying. Assuming he is then we haven't seen to judge him at the AFL level. Pre draft reports had a huge rap on the kid but his foot injury and then knee haven't allowed him a chance to show it. For mine you have to go with Hine in the first place and give him the chance to prove one way or another. Not for trade.

13. Taylor Adams - Had improved markedly over the past couple years. His kicking is still weak but his tackling and ball winning are immense. You need players like this with grunt to be in games. Not for trade

14. Clinton Young - The man with the golden left boot unless it's under pressure. Hasn't shown anywhere near enough to get a game going forward. Tradable

15. Jarrod Witts - Emerging young ruckman who's best is still in front of him. Skills are iffy at times but has shown can pin point a kick as well. Needs to work on his hands and his around the ground work but he's young and will improve. Not for trade

16. Nathan Brown - Mr Dependable in the backline. Never going to get the huge wraps of a Rance but is rarely beaten over 4 qtrs. Solid without being brilliant. His expernce can't be under estimated. Not for trade

17. Jonathon Marsh - Hasn't been given the games in seniors to make a decision but wouldn't want him to come back to haunt me. Not for trade.

18. Travis Varcoe - Wow what a find this year. Most likely in the top 3-5 players each week this season. Not for trade

19. Levi Greenwood - Only just starting his career with us but his body size gives us much needed grunt. Not for trade

20. Ben Reid - Where to start. At his best he's brilliant. But we haven't seen it for so long it's hard to remember. For mine 2016 is th tipping point for him. He needs to play 18 games minimum and play well. Would hate to see him elsewhere and finally gets injury free rum. Not for trade

21. Nathan Freeman - Reported as on of the quickest in the draft but yet to make a statement for us. Ongoing injuries have spoiled his chances but if he's as quick as stated he would be valuable as anyone going forward. A wise man once said the one thing you can't coach is genuine speed. Not for trade

22. Steele Sidebottom - I've been critical of him at times but I rate him so highly maybe to highly. His best is elite no doubt and we have seen it but the gulf between his best and his ordinary games is vast. That's the area that needs improvement. His kicking skills can go from amazing to poor in the space on minutes like his decision making. How w guy can pin point a pass 40m and then next kick fail to make the distance from 30 out in front of goal amazes me. Would only consider a trade if it was to land a Dangerfield type nothing less.

23. Lachlan Keeffe - Let the process run its course
24. Josh Thomas - Let the process run its course.

25. Jack Crisp - As part of the Beams deal seemed to be a add on just to seal the deal has proven to be so much more than that. Another who has surprised me this year and has become very valuable member of the midfield. Not for trade

26. Marley Williams - I watch him play and I cheer and cringe and hide my eyes under my hands and applaud him all in the space of 30 seconds. With Marley that's what you get. He's best and most damaging is match winning stuff. The other side can be very costly. He back himself and has that little bit of mongrel every team needs. Not for trade

28. Ben Sinclair - Has had chances but not long runs in the seniors. At times looks great then at others oridinary. Falls into the category of we have a few like him so nothing special. Tradable

29. Tim Broomhead - Pace is great but you need more at the highest level. Has shown sigh he can make the jump but seems to fall out of favour quickly as well. I like the kid but needs to really start making the most of his chances. Tradable

30. Darcy Moore - No deal could get this kid away from the club for mine

31. Jackson Ramsay - Still yet to see hi enough to make a fair call. Can't trade them all so he stays. Not for trade.

32. Travis Cloke - A match winner in his day and the others make you cry. His best he is the biggest beast in the game. Can run and mark like no other. IMO he is a CHF. Not for trade

33. Patrick Karnezis - Part of the Beams deal but hasn't had much of a chance. Tradable

34. Alan Toovey - Veteran of the backline who's knees have curtailed his speed. Has become a at best moderate kick in recent times and his ability to play both tall and small seemingly gone can't be considered a lock going forward. Tradable.

36. Dane Swan - Not for trade never trade a champion of your club I say

40. Paul Seedsman - Shown at times he has the foods but then either injury if form stroke him down. Not for trade

43. Adam Oxley - Played some very useful games this year and would ba a logical replacement for Toovey long term. Not for trade.

44. Corey Gault - Started the year in the seniors but quickly got sent back. Has the height to make a huge target and is a fair to average kick. Played a bit as a second ruckman without being dominate. His body is slight and needs bulk up before we would see his best. Good big men are hard find. Not for trade.

45. Jack Frost - The truest of blue coals workers you will ever see. A rookie last year and played every game. Has been very good and other days made rookie errors. His disposal is iffy but can't question his courage or desire to make a contest. Not for trade

46. Mason Cox - Project player so let him continue in that vain.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:12 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Karnezis wasn't part of the Beams deal.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:25 am

You'd trade Sidebottom but not, eg, Williams, Oxley, Seedsman?

If we're not going to keep the guys who can stand up in the heat of battle in Grand Finals, we may as well just get Beams back.
regan is true fullback 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:33 am

A lot of these folks are delistable, not tradeable. On the matter of Goldsack, he has given us someone who can kick out from fullback, like the amazing Shannon Hurn at the Weagles. This turns near misses into attacks, rather than the stumbling heart attacks in our backline.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:37 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
You'd trade Sidebottom but not, eg, Williams, Oxley, Seedsman?

If we're not going to keep the guys who can stand up in the heat of battle in Grand Finals, we may as well just get Beams back.

If the deal was right like I said for a Dangerfield type yes I would trade him. Then on that basis I would trade Williams Oxley Seedsman etc as well on that same basis.
But other than Sidey the others haven't played in a Gf yet so how they stand up in the heat of battle in a GF is subjective.
As for the Beams pot shot I knew that would come from someone and yes he hasn't played well in a GF but if he was still in our team I would have thought he would be in the same category as Sidey that the only way you would trade him was to get a elite player.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:43 pm

You've overlooked Abbott. I reckon he will be an absolute brute of a forward for us next year and will probably replace Fasolo.
derkd 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:29 pm

Sorry qld didn't mean to throw you under the bus by dragging this thread back into the light.....I found it more interesting that alot of your points on what we needed to improve....well here we are two seasons on and they remain the same.

you were pretty dead on with Grundy by the way so props Wink

We still need elite speed elite kicking and KPP...but hey we have more midfielders now Smile We just really need to get a move on if we want that window open this year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: