Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Ben Brown

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick Taurus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:10 am
Post subject: Ben BrownReply with quote

Just wanted to share this article.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/collingwood/collingwood-premiership-captain-tony-shaw-says-the-magpies-should-look-to-lure-ben-brown/news-story/69283dc991e0e5d669b4604faab34896

I agree with Shaw's assessment of Sam Reid and I am worried if the current regime continues next year that the club will just go into 2018 thinking Ben Reid and Darcy Moore will be our key forwards with Mason Cox as back up.

I'd be stoked if we could snare Ben Brown and Mitch McGovern as a genuine 3rd tall.

I dare say Jesse White will be delisted or retire at seasons end and if somehow we could pay out Chris Mayne a portion of his current contract to free up list and salary space.

Hopefully Sam McLarty develops into a reliable centre half back for the future.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:37 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I have raised this previously myself as he's exactly the type we need.

Problem is he's still contracted and North obviously wouldn't want to part with him so you'd be looking at 2 first rounders or our current pick 6 plus a quality young player like de Goey just to start the conversation.

themonk 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:40 am

Please Tony, stay out of it.

Yes Ben Brown would be briliant but players like Reid are free agents, let's not forget that Cameron is also a free agent next year (big Pies fan) & Lynch isn't too far from free agency either.

Oh & the remark about DeGoey, it's a joke right? DeGoey has the potential to be one of the best mids in the comp. Pendles & Steele will not be around forever.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:00 am

swoop42 wrote:

Problem is he's still contracted and North obviously wouldn't want to part with him so you'd be looking at 2 first rounders or our current pick 6 plus a quality young player like de Goey just to start the conversation.

You have to be joking. He's slower than Keeffe and a worse kick. I hope we're not that stupid selling the farm because we underformed this year. If we do the above next year will be worse than this year. I know I sound like a broken record here, our list really isn't that bad. We need a couple of KPP's. Rather than panic like a few others here, we can pick up a really good KPP in this year's national draft. There are at least 4 highly rated mids who will go top 10 in this year's draft. That leaves one highly rated KPP for us to pick up. Forget Ben Brown. Lobb is a 10 times better player. I should add, North move the ball quickly from the backline to the forward line which leaves Brown often one on one against the defender. He uses his height to outmark his opponent. Put Brown into the Collingwood side, he will kick as many goals as Blair for the year.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:06 am

Man you couldn't be more wrong.

Laughing

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:16 am

I agree - if he came to Collingwood he probably wouldn't kick as many goals as Blair.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:52 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

You have to be joking. He's slower than Keeffe and a worse kick. I hope we're not that stupid selling the farm because we underformed this year. If we do the above next year will be worse than this year. I know I sound like a broken record here, our list really isn't that bad. We need a couple of KPP's. Rather than panic like a few others here, we can pick up a really good KPP in this year's national draft. There are at least 4 highly rated mids who will go top 10 in this year's draft. That leaves one highly rated KPP for us to pick up. Forget Ben Brown. Lobb is a 10 times better player. I should add, North move the ball quickly from the backline to the forward line which leaves Brown often one on one against the defender. He uses his height to outmark his opponent. Put Brown into the Collingwood side, he will kick as many goals as Blair for the year.

I can only assume you are thinking of another player. I can guarantee at no point of his career, Keefe will ever be second on an AFL goal kicking list.
If you can kick goals with Norths midfield, you are going very nicely.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:04 pm

If Reid cant come, go for Casboult, and still pick a young KPP Forward with our first pick, I would think that's reasonably logical. We cant get Brown yet, hes contracted.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:40 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
If Reid cant come, go for Casboult, and still pick a young KPP Forward with our first pick, I would think that's reasonably logical. We cant get Brown yet, hes contracted.

Even players under contract can be bought. Beams was under contract to us, yet we allowed a trade to go ahead. I'd be looking at 2 Metre Peter, because he's younger and has much, much more upside. Then there's McGovern, a powerful unit who would fit our needs perfectly. The smoky might be Weideman from the Dees, because the Dees have other key forward options and so may be up for a reasonable trade.
Doc63 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:12 pm

I'd take Ben Brown in a heartbeat - but I wouldn't sell the farm for him.

He doesn't have to be the next Wayne Carey to make a huge difference to our forward line.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:18 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:

Even players under contract can be bought. Beams was under contract to us, yet we allowed a trade to go ahead. I'd be looking at 2 Metre Peter, because he's younger and has much, much more upside. Then there's McGovern, a powerful unit who would fit our needs perfectly. The smoky might be Weideman from the Dees, because the Dees have other key forward options and so may be up for a reasonable trade.

I'm a McGovern fan but we shouldn't look at him as a KPF solution.
He's 191 cm, he is hardly powerhouse material. I see him more as a very handy addition rather than a solution.
Subject to the cap, I would like to see us go for either casboult or Reid as free agents ( no trade required ) and facilitate a trade for Lever while he is out of contract.
Maybe then we focus on bringing in a young power forward via the draft or trade for the start of the 2019 season. We ain't going to solve all our problems in one off season.
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:07 pm

Piesnchess wrote:

Casboult?? Really??? We want another Cloke? Did you see his clutch 20m effort today to win the game for Carlton???

No thanks.

ROB 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:12 pm

The fact that Keeffe continues to play in the forward line in the 2's most recently suggests Collingwood are still looking to develop him as a forward 2nd ruckman ala Leroy Brown. I don't think he will be de-listed at years end. As for Ben Brown - if he was available and no other options were on the table, then take him.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:44 pm

This would be like paying $1M for Tippet. No thanks. Overpaying talls is always a massive risk, it's too difficult to judge their longevity. And he's not a free agent so we have to overpay for salary and at the trade table. Double no thanks.

We're not too far away. We will look for another KPP or two, but the kind of outlay we'd need to land Brown is simply not worth it. We're more likely to damage our list by going too hard for a tall than improving it. Need to be smart in the off-season.

kymbo5@yahoo.com.au 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:57 pm

Brown is a Tassie product - that's why he's good. Think Barwick, Wright, Howe, Greening, Shephard (ok maybe not), Rowe, Paul Williams, Manson, Craig Davis..........
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: