Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Past memories of Collingwood grand finals.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:08 am
Post subject: Past memories of Collingwood grand finals.Reply with quote

I remember every collingwood grand final vividally since 1964.
Maybe a good time to reflect on peoples experience of past years.
My favourite memory was in 1990 when 2 collingwood supporting women were crying at about the 22 minute mark of the last quarter and one said to the other ..can we lose from here and a Essendon supporter leaned over and said ...not even collingwood can lose from here! What satisfaction did I gain from hearing that.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:10 am
Post subject: Re: Past memories of Collingwood grand finals.Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing I wonder if one of those Collingwood women was me!!!
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:14 am

Where were you sitting?
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:17 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Mason.... I wouldn't have a clue!!!! It was all a blur in the end!!!!
But I distinctly remember saying that because we had lost so many GFs over the years that perhaps we could still lose!!!
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:30 am

1990: I was a day shy of 2 years old. In theory, I was there in the loungeroom as my Dad watched it on TV, but obviously don’t have the faintest recollection of it.

2002: A few days before my 14th birthday. My Dad taped the game and we watched it as soon as sundown hit (hooray for religion), somehow avoiding spoilers. Was an unbelievable buzz. I’d never even seen us play a final before that year, and been through all the hard times of the late ‘90s, so that whole year has a special place in my memory. We were so brave, and I felt so proud after the game – so bittersweet, though.

2003: Horrible. Nothing felt right that day, probably starting with the feeling of foreboding after Rocca’s suspension, and it just got worse and worse. Didn’t take as much interest in football for a couple of years after that.

2010 part 1: One of the best football games I’ve ever seen. I know we didn’t win, but it had everything. Those acts of desperation by Maxwell, and those last few minutes. I was at my grandmother’s house with my uncle’s family and they all walked out of the room when Goddard kicked that goal. It was just me and my older cousin, who I barely knew, on the edge of our seats. I swear time slowed down when the ball bounced in front of Milne.

2010 part 2: It was my 22nd birthday, and I had no-one to watch the game with, so I took a bus down to Queanbeyan and went to the pub with a Nickster I’d never met and never since caught up with (thanks, tcnthat – it was a magic day). What can you say? Shaw’s smother was amazing, and from there we just dominated. Knew we’d won it by halfway through the third quarter, and then it was just party time. It felt surreal.

2011: Down at my grandmother’s again, again with uncle’s family. Really thought we had it in the bag at half time, but the last quarter was a nightmare. Thought I’d never want to hear the name “Travis Varcoe” again as long as I lived. How things have changed!

2018: ??? Looks like Lola, Ingmar and I will be at a GF barbecue, with *shudder* non-Collingwood supporters. Going to be tough if we lose, as they’ll undoubtedly all be barracking against us. Go Pies!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:35 am

masoncox wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
masoncox wrote:
My favourite memory was in 1990 when 2 collingwood supporting women were crying at about the 22 minute mark of the last quarter and one said to the other ..can we lose from here and a Essendon supporter leaned over and said ...not even collingwood can lose from here! What satisfaction did I gain from hearing that.

Where were you sitting?

Me and my sister had the same conversation, level 2 a couple of rows from the front, right above the Essendon cheer squad! It was when leathal came down the steps pumping his arms!

masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:37 am

^^^^^
Well in the second grand final I promised my partner that in the second week of the september holidays I would take her to the outback.
So there I found myself in a ouback pub with I kid you not .. 30 st kilda fans and not one pie fan in the room.
But what joy was it.
But when I walked outside there was nothing but a highway and a few sheep looking at me.
But I was happy happy happy.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:41 am

5 point loss to Wayne harmes, dad got us tickets in amongst all the Carlton toffs in some member area, I was 15, and I cried so hard...
1980 slept at Vic Park for tickets, and on the way home someone chucked a brick through the train window and I got covered in glass!

The loss to hawks was next!

1990 the best day of my life! Sitting 2nd level directly above the scums cheers squad, went to Vic Park after and got home at 3am!

The brizzy ones I watched at home, my kids were toddlers,

2010 paid 1000 for 2 tickets to the draw, then watched the replay in downtown Disney, LA!

2011 got standing in the social club ballot, swapped with king monkey for seats!

This year I’m a legend, hoping a big amount comes out of my account!

masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:42 am

think positive wrote:
masoncox wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
masoncox wrote:

Where were you sitting?

Me and my sister had the same conversation, level 2 a couple of rows from the front, right above the Essendon cheer squad! It was when leathal came down the steps pumping his arms!

No TP I was in level one.
But Mathews coming down shaking his arms was my all time collingwood memory.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: