Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Ed's in trouble again

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:09 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Leggie wrote:
What I find interesting is that I am yet to speak with anyone I know, both Collingwood supporters and Non Collingwood Supporters who agree that this comment from EM is as bad as the Media is making it out to be. This really is becoming a circus.

And i still rekon it was a shit coin toss.

This is a really good point Leggie.... nobody really thinks it's an issue, except for the media.... that Ed doesn't work for.
It's just a typical Collingwood hate speech thing. They wanna be, they aspire to be... but, they will never be! (Joffa circa 2000 Cricketers)

Haven't heard a thing from my fellow plebs about this issue anywhere really. Confused

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:02 am

Piesnchess wrote:
If he knew she was disabled, he would never have said what he did, never, and he did apologise profusely, to her personally too, but that is not enough for some of our Puritan media.

He's being quoted today as saying "...at the appropriate time, I hope I get the opportunity to do so [apologise] personally"

K 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:27 am

AN_Inkling wrote:
K wrote:
K wrote:
Pie-supporting journo J. Niall's take:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/eddie-mcguire-s-latest-gaffe-has-hurt-himself-more-than-others-20190331-p519ff.html
<snip>

Fellow Pie-supporting journo P Ryan sounds annoyed too:

"Why on earth comment on how someone tosses a coin? It is utterly unimportant other than for those tossing the coin – the coin drops.

Why make a point of it and blunder into error. "

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/4-points-the-bombers-must-make-changes-quick-smart-20190331-p519f3.html

So this whole episode is simply about it being silly to critique a coin toss? It was a light-hearted comment. With the amount of time there is to be filled not every comment can be of the utmost gravity.

No, it's not about the coin toss. It's about not kicking own goals and potentially harming your own club. The whole thing could have been avoided if nothing had been said. It's really not difficult to avoid making that sort of comment. If it is so difficult, it's partly because he's on air way too much, which is what Niall said and also what your line "With the amount of time there is to be filled" suggests.
K 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:35 am

BEAMER09 wrote:
Very little, if any mention of Pies great win on the Monday night shows as I've been told. If true, statement has been made.

If that's so, that's fantastic. Why do we want media fawning over our wins? It's bad enough being $4.50 flag favourites two weeks into the season, and being $1.30 favourites playing the reigning premiers who beat us three times last year, without key players, possibly including Cox.
I don't know why people want more Pie hype. It doesn't help the club's on-field performance.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:49 am

K wrote:
BEAMER09 wrote:
Very little, if any mention of Pies great win on the Monday night shows as I've been told. If true, statement has been made.

If that's so, that's fantastic. Why do we want media fawning over our wins? It's bad enough being $4.50 flag favourites two weeks into the season, and being $1.30 favourites playing the reigning premiers who beat us three times last year, without key players, possibly including Cox.
I don't know why people want more Pie hype. It doesn't help the club's on-field performance.

doesnt hurt it either

K 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:50 am

Highly debatable that it can't hurt, I'd say. Results after over-exposure have not been great.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:52 am

[quote="Cam"]
K wrote:
Cam wrote:
Correct. Just like the Caro waterslide thing, where her broadcast buddy Shawy and someone else laughed about doing the same thing on air that Ed suggested.

Two other people laughing about the same thing does not mean it must necessarily be appropriate.

She laughed along with them. But when Eddie said something similar. Crickets and rage.

Current day outrage is just a smokescreen to allow free hits on people and bring pressure on people or ideas that you don't personally like. It's like the whole world has reverted to dobbing to the teacher.

yep
AN_Inkling wrote:
K wrote:
K wrote:
Pie-supporting journo J. Niall's take:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/eddie-mcguire-s-latest-gaffe-has-hurt-himself-more-than-others-20190331-p519ff.html
<snip>

Fellow Pie-supporting journo P Ryan sounds annoyed too:

"Why on earth comment on how someone tosses a coin? It is utterly unimportant other than for those tossing the coin – the coin drops.

Why make a point of it and blunder into error. "

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/4-points-the-bombers-must-make-changes-quick-smart-20190331-p519f3.html

So this whole episode is simply about it being silly to critique a coin toss? It was a light-hearted comment. With the amount of time there is to be filled not every comment can be of the utmost gravity.

That's not what it's about of course, but people keep steering away from the main point because there's really not much to be offended about. They'll go into past indiscretions or question why it's even necessary to comment on a coin toss.

There's an argument to be made that it's a little off to be mocking coin tossers in general, especially as they are usually given the honour for some special reason. It's a very minor one though. The only reason it's blown up is because people have chosen to be outraged on behalf of someone else and will never miss a chance at potting Ed.

Personally, the outrage seems more likely to offend than Ed. Especially the assumption that this woman should be a useless coin tosser because she's missing her legs. Lowered expectations of a person simply because they have a disability can be very offensive.

thats the way i saw it too. and i got potted for it!

K 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:54 am

^ Quote malfunction!
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:51 am

AN_Inkling wrote:

That's not what it's about of course, but people keep steering away from the main point because there's really not much to be offended about. They'll go into past indiscretions or question why it's even necessary to comment on a coin toss.

There's an argument to be made that it's a little off to be mocking coin tossers in general, especially as they are usually given the honour for some special reason. It's a very minor one though. The only reason it's blown up is because people have chosen to be outraged on behalf of someone else and will never miss a chance at potting Ed.

Personally, the outrage seems more likely to offend than Ed. Especially the assumption that this woman should be a useless coin tosser because she's missing her legs. Lowered expectations of a person simply because they have a disability can be very offensive.

Great post – couldn't have put it better myself. What a storm in a teacup (and we all know that who said it is so much more important to people than what was actually said).

K 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:54 am

^ The outrage at the outrage is worse than the original comment. All the usual conspiracy theories about the media, etc. I already quoted two measured but critical comments from Pies-supporting journos. They're not all out to get the guy.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:25 pm

K wrote:
BEAMER09 wrote:

A bit off topic from Ed, but totally agree. We seem to perform much better when we fly under the radar.
I'm really annoyed that I can't find the post now, but someone made a brilliant remark that we are a "reverse logic" team - generally play better when we are the under-dogs and not expected to win.

I watched a couple of last nights' footy shows on the run. I think it was on Footy Classified that Matthew Lloyd and Caro (!!!) declared Collingwood premiership favourites??? Either that show or On the Couch.
K 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:26 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
... They'll go into past indiscretions ...

If pro-Pies press goes into past indiscretions, it's because they show that lessons have not been learnt. Why keep giving opponents free kicks like that? There's always so much unhelpful noise surrounding the club.
K 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:32 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
We seem to perform much better when we fly under the radar.
I'm really annoyed that I can't find the post now, but someone made a brilliant remark that we are a "reverse logic" team - generally play better when we are the under-dogs and not expected to win.

PPie, it was derkd's comment. Here it is.

derkd wrote:
Abdul The Bull wrote:

Just says more about the club then anything. Since the 1930's really we have not been able to handle expection and pressure.

We are a good defy the doom and gloom back against the wall side.

In essence we are a reverse logic team.
BEAMER09 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:15 pm

[quote="Cam"]
K wrote:
Cam wrote:
Correct. Just like the Caro waterslide thing, where her broadcast buddy Shawy and someone else laughed about doing the same thing on air that Ed suggested.

Two other people laughing about the same thing does not mean it must necessarily be appropriate.

She laughed along with them. But when Eddie said something similar. Crickets and rage.

Current day outrage is just a smokescreen to allow free hits on people and bring pressure on people or ideas that you don't personally like. It's like the whole world has reverted to dobbing to the teacher.

An extract:-
'We’d have to sell tickets for those who want to push you, Caro, I reckon,' Dwayne Russell can be heard saying in audio from the event last Monday.

'That’s very funny Dwayne. Hysterical,' Wilson responded.

'And hold her under Dwayne,' Collingwood legend Tony Shaw added.

'Oh, boys,' Wilson said as the men dissolved into fits of laughter.

Yep I know in the past the Witch is still current.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:03 pm

Lol @ "Pappy" if that is your real name. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10   

Jump to: