Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Ed's in trouble again

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
September Zeros 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:45 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn’t see or hear it , so Legit question : Was the arm and hand she tossed the coin with impaired? Does she have any cognitive impairment?

If the answer to both questions is no- which appears to be the case. Then Ed needs to stop apologising to the constantly offended, pc munching, righteous and come out and say it again.

Toss the dam coin right people- it really is that hard.

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:06 am

No, she just tossed the coin badly. Presumably, though, Eddie knew her back story, so a little common sense might have avoided this latest conflagration. It isn't like she was picked to play CHF for the Swans. Foot in mouth, really.

That said, it probably is desirable to make sure that, whatever "honour" we wish to bestow on them, the people who are there to toss the coin can actually do it. If the coin toss matters, which it probably doesn't.
sixpoints 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:07 am

I’ve got a disability but I demand to be treated like everyone else.
OK, I’ll treat you like everyone else - your coin toss was rubbish, you should have practiced.
How dare you say that - I have a disability!
K 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:12 am

^ For starters, that suggests that all those are the same people, which may not be true at all.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:16 am

CootaPie wrote:
As someone who both works with the disabled every day and is a long-time Collingwood member I found McGuire's comments last night re the coin toss to be absolutely disgraceful, embarrassing and his attempted apology pathetic.
A previous post actually described McGuire's comments as a "compliment". WTF.

in that he didnt notice shes a double amputee because she carries herself as if she isnt. i also said shes amazing, but cherry pick what you want.

He did not say anything about Her except She didnt toss the coin to a reasonable standard. She didnt. That should be the End of the story.

Somehow that gets turned around into a comment about Her disabilities. Everyone has something they are sensitive about. For a lot its just not obvious. Has anyone bothered to ask her if She was upset? the article I saw didnt mention it if so.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:27 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
No, she just tossed the coin badly. Presumably, though, Eddie knew her back story, so a little common sense might have avoided this latest conflagration. It isn't like she was picked to play CHF for the Swans. Foot in mouth, really.

That said, it probably is desirable to make sure that, whatever "honour" we wish to bestow on them, the people who are there to toss the coin can actually do it. If the coin toss matters, which it probably doesn't.

Is this a story Or is it because its Eddie and he sells papers? Gees listen to a whole commentary from some of these neanderthals, there is always plenty to get offended about if you look for it. He apologised and explained his point of view and it made sense.

Too much common sense in your post pies4shaw

Last edited by think positive on Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Redlight 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:00 am

sherrife wrote:
CootaPie wrote:
As someone who both works with the disabled every day and is a long-time Collingwood member I found McGuire's comments last night re the coin toss to be absolutely disgraceful, embarrassing and his attempted apology pathetic.

Yeah this is disgusting. Eddie has to go IMO. First the despicably racist comments at Adam Goodes, then so much else. He's obviously an absolute oblivious macho creep. Time to change the culture.

Change the culture to what? A losing one?

Or maybe a super inclusive culture where we welcome all players regardless of background religion or ability to play football? The inability to play is, after all, a kind of disability. One which I suffer from myself. I've also heard Ed say harsh things about people who play badly.

Suddenly, I feel excluded and oppressed.
K 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:16 am

Pies4shaw wrote:

I discovered that bookies take bets on the coin toss. Shocked
That should be illegal.
CootaPie 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:21 am

think positive wrote:
CootaPie wrote:

in that he didnt notice shes a double amputee because she carries herself as if she isnt. i also said shes amazing, but cherry pick what you want.

He did not say anything about Her except She didnt toss the coin to a reasonable standard. She didnt. That should be the End of the story.

Somehow that gets turned around into a comment about Her disabilities. Everyone has something they are sensitive about. For a lot its just not obvious. Has anyone bothered to ask her if She was upset? the article I saw didnt mention it if so.

So who defines what is a reasonable standard coin toss? And who actually cares about the standard of the toss. He was clearly having a crack at her and it's delusional to suggest otherwise.

The coin toss has very little importance at all, what offended me is McGuire's gutless attempt to get a few cheap laughs at someone else's expense. He couldn't have missed the walking stick so didn't need to be a rocket scientist - which he clearly isn't - to realise there was no need to open his mouth. It's disappointing to see this buffoon has so many apologists.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:27 am

This is a non story.

I couldn't give a toss. Rolling Eyes
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:35 am

I won't weigh in too heavily on what was said, as I didn't hear the comment.

But, for arguments sake, if you know well in advance you have been selected do perform the coin-toss in an AFL match which will be broadcast live across the country, surely to fkuc you'd spend a little time practicing either on the day, or the half hour prior?

Now if she did indeed have a disability, then other people should be assisting her practice the skill prior; it isn't hard, it's just a balanced hand with a flick of the thumb under the tip of the index finger.

Why people insist on embarrassing themselves on national TV for 10 seconds, game after game, round after round, just astonishes me.

Practice FFS people. Failing to plan is planning to fail in this world, regardless of the degree of difficulty of the task.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:39 am

CootaPie wrote:
think positive wrote:
CootaPie wrote:

So who defines what is a reasonable standard coin toss? And who actually cares about the standard of the toss. He was clearly having a crack at her and it's delusional to suggest otherwise.

The coin toss has very little importance at all, what offended me is McGuire's gutless attempt to get a few cheap laughs at someone else's expense. He couldn't have missed the walking stick so didn't need to be a rocket scientist - which he clearly isn't - to realise there was no need to open his mouth. It's disappointing to see this buffoon has so many apologists.

I can’t get past the who defines a reasonable standard coin toss comment! He was not clearly having a crack at her at all. That’s what you looked for.
It seems only 2 people here so far have a problem with it, I can imagine big footy going off but that’s because it’s Eddie.

And Rudey your right!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:54 am

So I had a quick look at big footy and happily I’m wrong.
K 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:03 pm

FWIW, the video is here:

https://www.theage.com.au/national/casual-ableism-disability-activist-condemns-mcguire-coin-toss-comments-20190330-p51960.html
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:05 pm

I'm more concerned that some people in this thread and Ed himself are seemingly worried about the machinations involved in tossing a coin.

It's a 50/50 chance no matter the visual appeal of the toss.

That'll do.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10   

Jump to: