Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Ed's in trouble again

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:08 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pie-supporting journo J. Niall's take:

Eddie McGuire's latest gaffe has hurt himself more than others

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/eddie-mcguire-s-latest-gaffe-has-hurt-himself-more-than-others-20190331-p519ff.html

Quote:
What should happen? Really, this is about McGuire self-regulating. For his own sake, his employers and Collingwood, he needs to avoid another statement that offends someone, having managed the trifecta of Indigenous Australians, women and the disabled.

Four factors have led him to this predicament. One is the sheer number hours he spends talking on air, keeping the conversation moving - on morning radio, in particular.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:43 am

K wrote:

Eddie McGuire's latest gaffe has hurt himself more than others

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/eddie-mcguire-s-latest-gaffe-has-hurt-himself-more-than-others-20190331-p519ff.html

Quote:
What should happen? Really, this is about McGuire self-regulating. For his own sake, his employers and Collingwood, he needs to avoid another statement that offends someone, having managed the trifecta of Indigenous Australians, women and the disabled.

Four factors have led him to this predicament. One is the sheer number hours he spends talking on air, keeping the conversation moving - on morning radio, in particular.

Good article but I think you’ll find Jake Niall isn’t a Collingwood supporter, I think he is Essendon despite some friendly articles about the Pies

Leggie Aries

Bucks for PM.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:49 am

What I find interesting is that I am yet to speak with anyone I know, both Collingwood supporters and Non Collingwood Supporters who agree that this comment from EM is as bad as the Media is making it out to be. This really is becoming a circus.

And i still rekon it was a shit coin toss.

K 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:50 am

Leggie wrote:
... This really is becoming a circus. ...

Don't make the comment and there's no circus. It's not really hard not to make that comment.
K 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:53 am

watt price tully wrote:

Good article but I think you’ll find Jake Niall isn’t a Collingwood supporter, I think he is Essendon despite some friendly articles about the Pies

I think you are confusing him with Rohan Connolly.

I believe Jake is a Pies supporter.
K 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:09 am

^ There's a thread on this:
http://nick.magpies.net/bb/viewtopic.php?t=77357

The Pies ones look correct to me. Don't know about all of the others.

A couple of those have moved on. Emma Q now works for GWS in recruitment. Steve Rielly works for our club in media & PR.

Does it matter if we have employees who barracked for other clubs?
K 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:41 am

K wrote:

<snip>

Fellow Pie-supporting journo P Ryan sounds annoyed too:

"Why on earth comment on how someone tosses a coin? It is utterly unimportant other than for those tossing the coin – the coin drops.

Why make a point of it and blunder into error. "

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/4-points-the-bombers-must-make-changes-quick-smart-20190331-p519f3.html
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:54 am

WELL, three days, and still the beat goes on, bloody ABC radio going ballistic over eddie, and neil Mitchell got his bit in too. Cant wait for tonights Footy Classified, the wicked witch of the punt rd in will sink her claws into him, good n proper, she loathes eddie at best of times, and now the Pies smashed her tigers, she will go full bore at him. Might not watch it tonight, im really over all this fiasco, aren't there far more concerning issues, like climate change ??

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:59 am

K wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

I think you are confusing him with Rohan Connolly.

I believe Jake is a Pies supporter.

Cheers

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:32 pm

The usual “Enemies of Ed” came out of their holes to instill a dislike of him

Robbo and Wilson who we all know have never transgressed

uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:59 pm

BazBoy wrote:
The usual “Enemies of Ed” came out of their holes to instill a dislike of him

Too true.
Almost like a premeditated attack!
BEAMER09 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:29 pm

Very little, if any mention of Pies great win on the Monday night shows as I've been told. If true, statement has been made.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:42 pm

Nope no mention of our win
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:13 pm

[quote="K"]
Cam wrote:
Correct. Just like the Caro waterslide thing, where her broadcast buddy Shawy and someone else laughed about doing the same thing on air that Ed suggested.

Two other people laughing about the same thing does not mean it must necessarily be appropriate.

She laughed along with them. But when Eddie said something similar. Crickets and rage.

Current day outrage is just a smokescreen to allow free hits on people and bring pressure on people or ideas that you don't personally like. It's like the whole world has reverted to dobbing to the teacher.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:00 am

K wrote:
K wrote:

<snip>

Fellow Pie-supporting journo P Ryan sounds annoyed too:

"Why on earth comment on how someone tosses a coin? It is utterly unimportant other than for those tossing the coin – the coin drops.

Why make a point of it and blunder into error. "

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/4-points-the-bombers-must-make-changes-quick-smart-20190331-p519f3.html

So this whole episode is simply about it being silly to critique a coin toss? It was a light-hearted comment. With the amount of time there is to be filled not every comment can be of the utmost gravity.

That's not what it's about of course, but people keep steering away from the main point because there's really not much to be offended about. They'll go into past indiscretions or question why it's even necessary to comment on a coin toss.

There's an argument to be made that it's a little off to be mocking coin tossers in general, especially as they are usually given the honour for some special reason. It's a very minor one though. The only reason it's blown up is because people have chosen to be outraged on behalf of someone else and will never miss a chance at potting Ed.

Personally, the outrage seems more likely to offend than Ed. Especially the assumption that this woman should be a useless coin tosser because she's missing her legs. Lowered expectations of a person simply because they have a disability can be very offensive.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10   

Jump to: