Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre Match. Pies v. Blues. All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 3:24 pm
Post subject: Pre Match. Pies v. Blues. All comments please.Reply with quote

Saturday. MCG. 1.45

Collingwood v. Carlton

Let's hear ya !!

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy

Last edited by Donny on Sat May 11, 2019 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 3:29 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

History head-to-head

Wins - 125
Losses - 127
Draw 4

So, we still need to win the next 3 to get in front.

Interesting to note, we are ahead in the head-to-head for H&A games (+4) but behind in finals (-6)

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 5:05 pm

I should have clarified my earlier position more clearly and stated that for a Cox/Reid combination to have any chance of working de Goey would need to fill Adams role in the midfield.

People need to realise that with Cox, Mihocek and de Goey we have essentially been playing with 3 tall forwards this season already akin to the West Coast premiership structure and like our 2010/11 side featuring Cloke, Dawes and Brown.

Because of his ability to impact through the midfield we forget de Goey would make most if not all sides purely as a tall forward option.

We could potentially add a 4th tall in Reid and get away with it against lesser opposition like Carlton but it's doubtful it'll be our standard setup moving forward.

P.S-If heaven forbid de Goey missed a week through injury I'd be happy playing Reid alongside Cox and Mihocek.

Clifton Hill-Billy 

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 5:30 pm

De Goey needs to go to the midfield to avoid his low goal kicking accuracy
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 5:31 pm

^^He's 6'2"
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 5:35 pm

I can see your logic swoop, but alternatively De Goey can equally be classified as a 'small' forward, due to his speed and exquisite ground ball skills. Mihocek is really a mid sized forward, meaning that we have really only been playing with one true tall forward all year. Playing Cox and Reid would constitute 2 talls. That's how I see it anyway.
ANNODAM Gemini

Rebel Heart Tour - The Forum, Los Angeles 27/10/2015.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 6:29 pm

Just win!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 6:58 pm

Key match-up's
Our history vs theirs! One match closer to squaring the w/l ratio.
Drop the clutch from the 1st bounce and smash them.
Cripps vs Pendlebury, delicious.
Aish / Brown onto Walsh.
Maynard onto Petrevski-Seaton
Howe onto Curnow.

Out : Adams (inj), Thomas (omit)
In : Aish, Wells

B: Langdon, Roughead, Howe
HB: Crisp, Moore, Maynard

C: Phillips, Pendlebury, Sidebottom
R: Grundy, Beams, JDG

HF: WHE, Reid, Wells
F: Stephenson, Mihocek, Elliott

Int: Treloar, Brown, Greenwood, Aish

A Pies side with fit Reid and Wells is a better side.
The option of rotating Wells, Pendles and Treloar is a luxury.

Last edited by LaurieHolden on Sun May 05, 2019 10:07 am; edited 3 times in total
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 7:17 pm

This is truly a game it would be great for a sustained 4 qtr effort and some accuracy in front of goal to finally get a bit of a % boost
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 7:22 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
I can see your logic swoop, but alternatively De Goey can equally be classified as a 'small' forward, due to his speed and exquisite ground ball skills. Mihocek is really a mid sized forward, meaning that we have really only been playing with one true tall forward all year. Playing Cox and Reid would constitute 2 talls. That's how I see it anyway.

I think the best way to look at our front six is to disregard size and look at the pressure they are ( or aren’t ) capable of providing collectively.
If the selection committee think a front six of Cox Reid Miochek DeGoey Elliot and Stephenson is capable of locking the ball in, then that combination becomes workable.

To me, it still looks a bit top heavy, so I would prefer the balance of a smaller crumbing high pressure forward at the expense of one of the talls.
Cox, Miochek Reid and DeGoey ( to a lesser extent ) all do their best work in the air. If the ball does go to ground in our forward line, I would be very nervous of the unpressured rebound coming back the other way.

Interesting times ahead
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 7:39 pm

swoop42 wrote:
I should have clarified my earlier position more clearly and stated that for a Cox/Reid combination to have any chance of working de Goey would need to fill Adams role in the midfield.

People need to realise that with Cox, Mihocek and de Goey we have essentially been playing with 3 tall forwards this season already akin to the West Coast premiership structure and like our 2010/11 side featuring Cloke, Dawes and Brown.

Because of his ability to impact through the midfield we forget de Goey would make most if not all sides purely as a tall forward option.

We could potentially add a 4th tall in Reid and get away with it against lesser opposition like Carlton but it's doubtful it'll be our standard setup moving forward.

P.S-If heaven forbid de Goey missed a week through injury I'd be happy playing Reid alongside Cox and Mihocek.

I don't agree in terms of size. Maybe roles, but that can be adjusted.

De Goey is 188cm. If he is a "tall" then we're playing 5 of them when you include WHE (186cm) and Stephenson (189cm).

I consider a player a tall when they have the limitations of a tall. De Goey does not. Mihoceck at 192cm is a borderline medium/tall. He has some mobility but lacks pace and real ground ball winning ability, so I'd call him a tall.

It's possible Mihocek works in a three tall forward line with Reid and Cox, but I'd have massive doubts that is our best or even a good lineup. None of those three are gun AFL players and I'd question why we'd mess with a working lineup to try and fit them in, we have smalls/mediums that are better. Tall players come with clear disadvantages, if your adding extra talls, especially when they aren't very good, you're almost certainly weakening your team. Better to play an extra running player than add a marginal tall.

We might experiment with a Cox/Reid/Mihocehk lineup but I'd be very surprised if we stick with it. At this stage Cox is well ahead of Reid as a ruck/forward and Mihoceck ahead to a slightly lesser degree as a mobile second tall. If Reid makes his way into our best 22 I expect it would be at Mihocek's expense, but don't think it will happen.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 9:04 pm

Ultimately AI we arrive at the same conclusion in terms of 3 "talls" but to me de Goey represents a tall forward in our side because he can compete physically against taller opponents and draws the ball like a full forward.

Size isn't that relevant as his sublime talent coupled with power and mobility means he can play taller and a lot of opponents that can match him for height and strength can't for speed on the lead.

Think Ablett and even Dunstall as comparisons.

While he has a long way to go to ever match their exploits he is one of the best one out against an opponent in the AFL, plays with a presence that worries the opposition and critically in terms of our setup and whether we can play 3 "talls" his teammates will direct a lot of ball to him inside 50 such is their confidence of his ability.

When you already have de Goey, Hoskin-Elliott and Elliott available as capable marking threats, throw in Mihocek adding Reid on top Cox who both really rely on marking for scoreboard impact then the air space is going to get crowded and sacrificing one for more ground ball ability seems preferential for balance.

As for Mihocek going nowhere anytime soon would be guess.

Better output than Cox last season and Reid historically when he played forward and done it in his first season.

His contribution has been outstanding to date and no one saw it coming.

Better runner across the ground and offers an ability that neither Cox or Reid does as a forward and that's being able to regularly create scoring opportunities for himself gathering the ground ball.

Marking not to shabby either and not for the first time this time season I thought he had one of those almost games last night whereby he nearly managed to grasp some difficult marking opportunities. His luck will change and 1/2 goal games will turn into 3/4.

For mine it's a case of Cox or Reid if a decision needs to be made.

Cox the better relief ruck option whose sheer size makes him a difficult forward proposition.

Reid the smarter and more well rounded footballer.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 9:06 pm

Will be glad to put Carlton away and just move on.

Been following the head-to-head for basically my whole life and we always get close and drop one we shouldn't. Each loss = 2 wins to catch up.

I remember sitting there with my brother and adding all the wins and losses up before the internet was a thing.

I remember being like 20 behind. We only play them the one time this year, so make it count.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 9:17 pm

We know they'll be one out; Adams.

I wouldn't bring Cox straight back in if he isnt 110%. I wouldnt be against resting him the extra week to make sure.

Possible ins are;
Aish if hes fit.
Wills after a solid run in the 2s.
Varcoe after a week off.

Unlikely to come in:
Wells who has been ok in the VFL.
Daicos who needs to do more in the VFL.
Sier who is still injured and needs a run in the 2s first.

No VFL game this week, but here's last weeks emergencies: Travis Varcoe, Isaac Quaynor Rupert Wills and Max Lynch.

K 

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 9:24 pm

Presti35 wrote:
I wouldn't bring Cox straight back in if he isnt 110%. I wouldnt be against resting him the extra week to make sure.

There's no indication he's even 90% fit. I wouldn't be surprised if he misses at least one more week out of necessity, not just safety.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12   

Jump to: