Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Chad Rintoul on Concussion

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Didaicos Libra

The Macedonian Marvel = The Croat Confoundment!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:07 pm
Post subject: Chad Rintoul on ConcussionReply with quote

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/concussion-victim-calls-for-week-off-20100419-spcs.html

Quote:
CONCUSSION ended Chad Rintoul's 76-game career in 2002. Or, as he put it yesterday: ''I basically made the decision to stop playing because I was going to turn into a veggie.''

Really felt for this bloke when he went down, must of been quite debilitating.

SWAN'S GOING TO KICK A GOAL. THEY'RE HOME YOU'D THINK I KNOW IT'S A LONG WAY TO GO BUT THEY'RE KILLING THEM NOW!!
DaVe86 Scorpio

Man of Steele

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:50 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I seriously think that if you go off with concussion that you should automatically not be allowed to come back on.

Perhaps in these cases the AFL can allow a substitute.

You set an official AFL doctor to assess the player. You can't fake concussion.

Yes it may give the side an advantage, but I suppose the other side should be more careful not to knock someone out.

Or alternatively, if your side gets a sub, then the other club is allowed a sub as well. Subs are only allowed in the case where there is a concussion.

For all the talk of protection of heads, it seems absurd players are allowed to go on after a knockout. As has been said, a boxer has to sit out months.

mackasmatt 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:02 am

A school near mine in 2003 had an on-field death when a boy was advised he could play a match the week after a serious concussion. He got another hit to the head, had an aneurysm and died.

http://www.loveland.k12.oh.us/lhs/athletics/pages/Injury_Protocol.pdf

If you have a read of that it indicates you shouldn't do anything until you are symptom free. Seriously doubt that would be the case with AFL.

----------
------------
Dr Pie 

Dr Pie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:04 pm

Head injuries need to be taken seriously. In the US they are now discovering that Gridiron players have a much higher incidence of Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer's than the general male population. Even with the helmets that American footballers wear they are sustaining permanent brain damage.

I do not want to see contact go out of the game but if a player is concussed that should be it, not only for the rest of the match but probably for the match after as well.

colin_wood 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:27 pm

I think they should be suspended for 1 week if they are knocked out cold. Saw some stuff on Catayst ABC a couple of weeks ago & they were chopping up the brains of dead gridiron players.......

their brains were mashed but you can only see the damage after they were dead...not in an MRI scan....not good.

It is only a matter of time before an AFL player gets KOed, passes their bulshit test & then drops dead on the field after they are sent back on
Prometheus Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:46 pm

The recent story on the ABC's Catalyst show on Concussion that was very interesting.

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/2873539.htm
colin_wood 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:50 pm

They thought their bad memory was from all the weed they smoked when they were teenagers....they now know it was the footy concussions !
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 12:23 pm

Could we, or should we see helmets made mandatory in the AFL?

That carlton bloke got smashed badly and there's somebody coming off the ground every week with a head injury.

Helmets will become compulsory in AFL, says Malcolm Blight

The AFL’s drive to protect the head at all costs will inevitably lead to compulsory helmets, ­according to Malcolm Blight.

Within five years, Blight predicts, Australian football will do what gridiron did 75 years ago and make helmets mandatory.

The Hall of Fame legend’s prophecy comes as ex-players such as Nicky Winmar, seeking compensation for the lingering ­effects of their head injuries, consider launching a class action against the AFL.

“I’ve got a feeling that in the not too distant future, legally the AFL might have to protect the welfare of its players by introducing a rule to wear compulsory helmets,’’ Blight said on his Adelaide radio program Sportsday SA.

“And if you think I’m silly, think of what happened in 1943 in the NFL. They were made compulsory for the gridiron players.

“Think of every kid that plays cricket now. When I played in the 60s and 70s — no helmets. Everyone wears helmets now.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/afl/helmets-will-become-compulsory-in-afl-says-malcolm-blight/news-story/a324d5ab47217487544efd5da17c5c4d
npalm 

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 12:36 pm

Can't read the article. It's paywalled.

However from what I have read in the past helmets don't prevent concussions - because they don't stop the head bouncing around in your skull.
They may actually make the concussion problem worse because players may be tempted to go in harder thinking they are protected.

Helmets may help prevent split eyebrows and fractures tho.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 1:44 pm

I have heard what you mention as well, but there hasn't been enough study to prove that.

This is a pretty thorough report....

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2987604/

Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 2:44 pm

but what about our Dream Teams
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 4:17 pm

npalm wrote:
Can't read the article. It's paywalled.

However from what I have read in the past helmets don't prevent concussions - because they don't stop the head bouncing around in your skull.
They may actually make the concussion problem worse because players may be tempted to go in harder thinking they are protected.

Helmets may help prevent split eyebrows and fractures tho.

Whether helmets provide protection or not, they are likely to become mandatory, as proof that the AFL is doing all in its power to uphold its duty of care. It's the legal threat of damages claims, not any genuine concern for the health and welfare of players, which will lead to compulsory helmets.
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 8:10 pm

^^true. As soon as the first compensation case is settled, up go the insurance premiums and it'll become a condition of play to wear a helmet or a player risks compromising any future claims.
I reckon Liam Jones wished he had one on.
I can see a day where it will be like putting on a seatbelt.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:24 pm

Someone needs to invent a helmet made out of that energy absorbing foam so it actually reduces the force of the impact to the brain instead of just protecting the skull.
makri Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:27 pm

DaVe86 wrote:
I seriously think that if you go off with concussion that you should automatically not be allowed to come back on.

100% agree and probably shouldn't be able to play the following game as well. But there are times when they are difficult to diagnose. I was playing in goal a few years back and copped a knee to the back of the head (purely accidental) but passed on field test (soccer test is pretty piss poor but I have no doubt I would have got past the AFL equivalent. Got straight back up, knew where I was, had good reactions, etc). End up playing a blinder after it. The real scary part happened about 20 minutes after the match, was nauseous, seeing 'stars' and throwing up and straight to Hospital. That really scared the crap out of me, doc in hospital said it was not uncommon for symptoms to show up some time after the initial impact.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: