Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

"Do Better" review made public

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 50, 51, 52  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:23 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Former players Simon Buckley and Shae McNamara are having an interesting conversation about Héritier Lumumba on a recent Facebook post on Shae's wall. Very interesting as that is the first time I've heard a former player (Simon Buckley) take the other side.

Simon Buckley wrote:
Bro give it up. He made the nickname up for himself. He was all for it when he was winning flags and playing well. He would refer to himself as <snip - please don't specify the nickname on Nick's - Pies4shaw for BBMods>. He all of a sudden 10 years later wants to be a humanitarian.

And it goes from there in the replies.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:32 pm

^ Not that I want, for a moment, to stop people investigating irrelevant byways, but Simon Buckley joined Collingwood at the end of 2009, 4 years after the nickname was first used.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:34 pm

Simon Buckley’s comment fits in with my best guess as to what occurred - he had the nickname (that’s the first I have heard that H created that) then after a while decided he didn’t like it so he said something and no one called him that any more. It was after that that other events occurred that he took issue with. As mentioned before, unless we see his actual claim we won’t know what his complaint is.
Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:38 pm
Post subject: Shae McNamara and Simon Buckley on Facebook (RE: Lumumba)Reply with quote

After a post by Shae shared regarding H and a recent article publishes in a newspaper. Interesting to see 2 former players talking publicly about it.

Simon Buckley wrote:
Bro give it up. He made the nickname up for himself. He was all for it when he was winning flags and playing well. He would refer to himself as <snip - please don't specify the nickname on Nick's - Pies4shaw for BBMods>. He all of a sudden 10 years later wants to be a humanitarian.

Simon Buckley wrote:
It's an embarrassment

Simon Buckley wrote:
He never complained when he was winning flags and getting a kick himself and calling himself that name. Now all of a sudden he's out in the media and wants to be back in the limelight and get a few bucks. Weak as piss. If he wanted to preach about racism, he shoulda called it out at the time and not run with it and calling himself that for a laugh.

Shae McNamara wrote:
Simon Buckley brother, he's a black man in australia - he got it all the time. You know how the culture was - head down, ass up. You can't risk losing good stead.. what happened in '13.

Shit needs to change - Systematically.

And no he's been defamed - ask Leon and how their experiences were. Cmon now.

Simon Buckley wrote:
Shae completely different. I agree with Leon and all indigenous people. And love them for it. Harry has nothing to do with that. He's brazilian. And if he cared soo much, he wouldn't have made the name up for himself.

Shae McNamara wrote:
Simon he didnt make the name up for himself. What?

And he's half indigenous.

Simon Buckley wrote:
In reply to a seperate reply on how would he know Because I played at the club at the time. One of probably 30 people in the universe that actually does know

Very interesting stuff there. There's a few other people replying that are not former players, but now even Joffa has posted a reply.

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:41 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
^ Not that I want, for a moment, to stop people investigating irrelevant byways, but Simon Buckley joined Collingwood at the end of 2009, 4 years after the nickname was first used.

Good point, but we don’t know the circumstances.
I know you as Pies4Shaw. That’s because that’s how you identify yourself. I therefore assume that you are the world’s biggest Derek Shaw fan.
When Simon Buckley met H, how did H describe himself? Did H use the nickname? That’s the issue with this topic, no one here knows what happened. But of course, we all have opinions.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:51 pm

^ I think under my XXN, Simon Buckley would be obliged to concede that he has no idea how the nickname first came to be used. In that context, it scarcely matters what H might or might not have said to him when they met at Collingwood in late 2009 or early 2010 (if he even has a proper recollection of that conversation more than a decade later).

Again, though, talking about the specific case of H is quite irrelevant to this thread. As we know, the authors of the report did not report on that situation.
Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:57 pm

Still going....

Simon Buckley wrote:
Joffa, Yer. They all have 'mental health' issues when they want money

Shae is leaving a lot of comments in reply to other posters. Simon Buckley and Joffa, if you can believe it, are replying to each other. Shae has made some big comments regarding Eddie and replying to Joffa too.

Getting a little bit heated between Simon Buckley and Shae Mac.

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:00 pm

I was just reading that comment thread, and apart from the comments from Simon Buckley (which seem long on opinion and short on content), the most interesting aspect is what McNamara himself says in the attached newspaper piece:

Shae McNamara wrote:
In 2009, when we were in the pool, I said to him, 'Hey man. I don't really like the way they are talking to you […]'

He said, 'It is what it is, man. It is what this culture is. They are years behind America. You will find out.' I remember thinking, 'Is this really happening?'

[...]

He said. 'Don't say anything. It is not going to change and it is only going to create more chaos, so don't.' I took his word, but I felt really bad.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:03 pm

So, not that I would want to shovel more dirt into the grave of that particular line of enquiry, that would be before Simon Buckley came to Collingwood?
Lazza 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:04 pm

This racism stuff cuts both ways. I played cricket in the 70’s and 80’s and saw and heard white players racially sledged by non white players. They were called white trash, albino mongrels, Honky Tonk wankers etc etc. I may or may not have partaken in this practice😊
Older posters will remember that a Collingwood player (Alan Atkinson?) was once falsely accused of racist sledging by a Carlscum rotter. The scum player later admitted that he had been asked to this by the Scum officials to put the Collingwood player off his game.
As a brown skinned person I was once called a “Coconut” by an indigenous person which I later learnt was an insult insinuating that while I had a brown skin on the outside, I was acting like a white skin on the inside, hence the coconut jibe.
Being of Sri Lankan background, I also remember the Sri Lankan cricket team complaining of being abused on their first ever series in Australia in the 70’s. This was when they were soft as butter and naive about playing top class cricket. Any team that tries this now will be dealt with immediately.
I remember indigenous Umpire James being racially abused by the crowd at the MCG. I remember the Krakeur brothers and Gavin Wangerning being abused, i remember a Collingwood player of Fijian background (Fatiu Attata) being heckled and racially abused at Windy Hill by Essenscum ferals. The AFL did nothing and therefore the sledgers felt enabled as it being part of football.
Ok I realise that we are all different beings who handle racist comments differently. When I was racially sledged in cricket, I racially sledged back immediately, sort of a Mexican stand-off. However after the game, it was all smiles and handshakes. Maybe those times being no more is the reason why we see episodes like this issue blowing up.

Last edited by Lazza on Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:07 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:

I find this to be a rather patronizing slant on people's efforts to digest what's happening with their club. Many of us would be trying to understand the nature of the systemic racism that Heritier suffered and any available information helps with that and is therefore hardly an "irrelevant byway".

I for one have been researching old articles for the last few hours and I think this one gives an accurate portrayal from Heritier's viewpoint :
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-05/heritier-lumumba-strength-in-african-culture-collingwood-afl/12820942

What has also become obvious to me is that H has also made a few errors, perhaps the worst being completely losing his cool with the coach and verbally abusing him. Not saying it wasn't warranted, but it was a sort of sliding doors moment and a confrontation/discussion with a calmer approach could've yielded more positive results - perhaps. It certainly undermined the headway he had been making with confronting discrimination within the club's walls and precipitated his departure.
Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:08 pm

Lazza wrote:
When I was racially sledged in cricket, I racially sledged back immediately, sort of a Mexican stand-off. However after the game, it was all smiles and handshakes. Maybe those times being no more is the reason why we see episodes like this issue blowing up.

I didnt know that Mexican people played cricket.

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:10 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
So, not that I would want to shovel more dirt into the grave of that particular line of enquiry, that would be before Simon Buckley came to Collingwood?

Around the same time (McNamara and Buckley both joined the club in late 2009).

Cruisinwithdids 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:11 pm

Ironic that so many on this site spend their time trying to prove nothing Bad ever happened at Collingwood and its all a conspiracy made up by those that hate the club. Find a post on a Facebook page from someone who was at the club for 5 minutes and jump all over it. In today’s world Of out right lying, everyone gets to believe their own version of events. Therein lies the whole issue the club has. McGuire has helped the club financially, but done irreparable damage during his reign with his thoughts and comments and resultant self defence. He takes zero responsibility for all of his dumb racist and sexist comments. At the top of an organisation, that creates an environment where accountability doesn’t matter. It only matters who you are. Nathan Buckley ring a bell? People on this site also have continuously said there Is
no one to replace MCGuire. My answer to that would be replace him with anyone half qualified who is prepared to be accountable equally to all other people at the club and has a high level of intellect and social consciousness. That would be progress.
Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:18 pm

Lumumba himself has left a comment and has whacked Simon Buckley for six over the fence... Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 50, 51, 52  Next
Page 30 of 52   

Jump to: