Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

AFL falls asleep

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harrysz 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:24 pm
Post subject: AFL falls asleepReply with quote

This is an unashamed unabashed WHINGE and I make no apology for it.

VFL/AFL has been going for about 130 years. AFLW has been going for about 5 minutes. Some people like watching AFLW. Great. Terrific! Each to their own I always say. But, the AFL is trying to get us all interested in AFLW at the expense of AFL. Why do I say this?

Since Adam was a boy, when the AFL season finished there was racing, then cricket, then tennis, then BACK TO AFL. Long deprived AFL fans were suddenly flooded with footy related articles everywhere. Who was back, who was injured, who was recovering, who was burning up the track and so on. Club and AFL websites were full of footy stories, photos and interviews.

What's happening now? There's an occasional story if you look hard enough but they're not easy to find. Take a look at the Collingwood website. Actually don't. It's a boring experience, that is, unless you're into AFLW. The AFL figures that if we're starved of AFL we'll gravitate towards AFLW. That doesn't work with me nor with the footy fans I know and there are plenty.

You may not have heard, but there are some new coaches at Collingwood. How's Leppa going with our defenders? What's Fly got to say? How are the new players going? A current interview on the CFC website would be really nice; just to, you know, give us some information.

I guess that when the AFLW season ends things will return to normal. But at present I feel that we're on rations. Occasionally we get the odd crumb. But we are being taken for granted.

That's why for me, those Nicksters who attend training and post reports are heroes, but we shouldn't have to rely on them alone.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:01 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all heroes wear capes

I know your point is about the AFL and clubs' official communications being blanketed, but there are regular AFL articles on sites like the Roar, Mongrel Punt, SEN (if you can stand Cornes), Zero Hanger etc. some of which are even worth reading

Back bucks 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:48 pm

Plenty of AFL news on footy fan forums like this one. I stopped being interested in cricket when it became overwhelming and overloaded with news with one series finishing in one country and then another series starting up soon after with the cricket going non stop somewhere in the world. You would start to become disinterested in the game if there was too much AFL news 24/7 365 days of the year. Not knocking cricket, but it is just not my thing now. The AFLW may not be as great a spectacle to watch as the men `s comp , but at present they are doing a better job on the field than our seniors in the men`s comp and it keeps the club profile going. Something to barrack for . Who knows , we might get a mother / son champ from one of our women`s stars in the future ? That`s my angle on it.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:51 pm

I feel like back in the olden days we didn’t need the constant stimulation that we seem to need now. Read a book. Get into some other sport for a few weeks. Maybe even (gasp) watch some AFLW. We’re going to get six months of wall-to-wall AFL coverage starting in March; why not enjoy the feeling of anticipation in the meantime, rather than needing to be satiated by AFL journalists clutching at straws and putting content-free stuff up online for the sake of it? I feel pretty confident that nothing they would be writing right now would be worth reading anyway.
MurderousMagpie 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:42 pm

They should have training sessions late arvo like all the local footballers, then we would be able to get down to watch. If I could see 2 sessions a week plus the game that would be enough of a footy fix for me. I like Watching the odd couple too.

My favourite is driving home from work stuck in traffic on punt Rd, but listening to the build up on the radio for a Friday night blockbuster
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:29 pm

Yes, Neil Simon was a talented playwright
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:12 am

I agree wholeheartedly with the OP.

For those who love women's footy, then that's fine, but personally I have no interest in it at all. No-one seems to be willing to say it, but honestly, the standard of footy played by women is 3rd rate.

By all means have a section of our club's website devoted to women's footy, but it should always be secondary to information about the Collingwood Football Club.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:48 am

Women's footy is played at the right time as people love footy and will watch it. There is an audience, it's just not for everyone. Once the first male practice gets played it will drift into the background. It's still a way off being a high standard and it will get there. It's come a long way since I was involved with a women's team. We have gone from anyone who can play plays to the athletic type and now it's development. Junior girls are picking up the standard and in saying that we are talking 10 years at least.

The biggest issue with the VWFL is the coaches, they don't want to get flogged so as soon as they see the game is getting away from them, they switch from an attacking game to an overly defensive game, hence the low scores.
mugway05 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:07 am

RudeBoy wrote:
I agree wholeheartedly with the OP.

For those who love women's footy, then that's fine, but personally I have no interest in it at all. No-one seems to be willing to say it, but honestly, the standard of footy played by women is 3rd rate.

By all means have a section of our club's website devoted to women's footy, but it should always be secondary to information about the Collingwood Football Club.

I whole heartedly agree. And the sensationalism on the AFL website gets me every time. “Star Pie does ACL”. Heart goes into mouth, only to open the article and see it’s about an AFLW player.

The main feed should be about the Mens news. There should be a different tab for the womens news.

I understand the AFL want to grow this competition and that people enjoy watching it, but it’s not for me or for most people.

Check out: www.myspace.com/mugway05
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
Harrysz 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:58 am

It's many years since Collingwood had such a full array of new coaches and new players and I'd like some update's on how all the new personnel are gelling and developing. For me, information about this would be illuminating and not just "journalists clutching at straws". Some agree with me about this and some don't. That's fine. That's what this bulletin board is all about.

David (of free Julian Assange fame) clearly isn't much interested in this stuff (at least for the moment) and that's fine too. However, his smarmy condescending suggestions are uncalled for.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:27 am

I would have thought the Club would want to be pushing as much mens content through the website to attract interest in memberships.

You aren't clicking through Nicks or BigFooty to the membership department.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:52 am

The women surfing at Pipeline is on at the minute. That's worth watching.
mattdally 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:58 am

Tend to agree a lot with this.
I love watching women's tennis, soccer, basketball, netball, golf, etc.
When it comes to AFLW it is absolute rubbish.

Good on them for trying, but as a spectator of all sports, it's so hard to watch and be interested in it.
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:32 am

AFL are a lefty woke organisation
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:53 am

90 nice wrote:
AFL are a lefty woke organisation

LOL - seriously? The AFL is "lefty"?

They never come to the meetings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: