Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Let Fly Rebuild the list

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Born to Pie 

Born to Pie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:43 pm
Post subject: Let Fly Rebuild the listReply with quote

With DeGoey refusing to sign, with speculation around Grundy, Henry and Poulter. It may be time to bite the bullet and just go full rebuild.

With those mentioned and Pendles, Sidey, Howe, Elliott, Mihocek and Cox entering their twilight years, and Adams being some what injury prone. Pull the trigger, get the best we can from the draft and be set for 2-3 years time.

Our core becomes: Lipinski, IQ, 2x Daicos brothers, Cameron, Krueger, Macrae, McInnes, Crisp, Murphy, Moore, McCreey, Ginnivan, Maynard, Carmidhael & Johnson.

If we can add 2-3 top 10 & 2-3 top 20 draft picks, we can be in a position in about 3 years to pick up a couple of free agents to top off the list and go hard.

Our coaching and admin under Fly and Graham Wright is prime, we need to build a team around Nick Daicos and go hard.

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:09 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

This forum would totally implode waiting for yet another rebuild!
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:12 pm

For Chrissakes, we were a bees dick away from a Grand Final, gimme a break, a rebuild ????????????????????????

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:14 pm

Not yet.

Clearly the plan is to top up with role players while our senior players are still hanging on. 1-2 years in contention, then see what happens.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:29 pm

We were in a rebuild but have had a bounce, possibly a dead cat's bounce, we'll see.

I don't think we need to fully rebuild. Given success this year, we should at least look to be competitive next season as well. It's better for development anyway.

But I do agree our focus needs to be on the medium term, not the short. I'm not sure if it's realistic to push for a flag in the next two years, so don't believe that should be our focus. That means only adding players who'll be here for at least the medium term (no Mitchell).

I'm wanting us to build a strong squad that can setup an era of competing. Not an ageing list that tries to snatch for a couple of years and then retool after. That just sets our rebuild back, and it still has a ways to go, I don't think we're close to the best list right now.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:46 pm

"Strike!!! I'll give the bastards strike"!
lanstro 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:50 pm

The past decade has shown that full rebuilds are dead and partial renos are much more effective, but I also agree that we're not actually that close to contending. Would not be surprised or disappointed if we were not top 4 next year. Our best players are mostly on the wrong side of 30, and as everyone recognises, we're a key player in each third of the ground short - that's a big deficit that won't be made up in just a year.

We don't want to be repeating the mistakes of 2018-2020 in making big short term trades/signings on the false assessment that our flag window is currently open.
Haff Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:59 pm

What? The team that just win the flag has an average age of about 72… see if we can pinch one next two years and see where the youth is, hopefully they’ve come right along and we can do a quick Reno and go again..
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:37 pm

“I’ve been fascinated by your 5 year plan for the last 15”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A60QcsJtlE

Ninotchka

Last edited by watt price tully on Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:40 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
I'm wanting us to build a strong squad that can setup an era of competing.

Sounds good in theory but in practice very few teams succeed these days in having sustained success for an era. The draft rules and recruiting criteria are there to make the competition even, not allowing for one club to remain strong enough to dominate and win consecutive flags.

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:25 am

lanstro wrote:
The past decade has shown that full rebuilds are dead and partial renos are much more effective...

Astute observation there mate; not too far from the truth.

lanstro wrote:
but I also agree that we're not actually that close to contending. Would not be surprised or disappointed if we were not top 4 next year.
Our best players are mostly on the wrong side of 30, and as everyone recognises, we're a key player in each third of the ground short - that's a big deficit that won't be made up in just a year.

See what Wright can wrangle in the coming weeks...
The team that stole our Cup on the weekend has their best players mostly on the wrong side of 30 too.

lanstro wrote:
We don't want to be repeating the mistakes of 2018-2020 in making big short term trades/signings on the false assessment that our flag window is currently open.

Every time we attempt a rebuild, the timber we buy is infested with termites...

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:33 am

Piesnchess wrote:
For Chrissakes, we were a cheating scummy prick of an umpire call away from a Grand Final, gimme a break, a rebuild ????????????????????????

fixed!

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:48 am

Haff wrote:
What? The team that just win the flag has an average age of about 72… see if we can pinch one next two years and see where the youth is, hopefully they’ve come right along and we can do a quick Reno and go again..

I had to laugh at the Cat players mad monday party, they all dressed up as elderly pensioners, walking frames and all, and all on a Pensioner Bus, I will pay that, good sense of self humour. Laughing Razz

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
slangman 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:06 am

The only thing that needs to be rebuilt is the players mindest.
The JDG and Grundy contract situations once again are highlighting the lack of sacrifice that our players are willing to make for the sake of success.
How many times have the Cats been bent over or even pushed into a “accept what I want or I’m leaving” threat by their players?
To read that Hawkins has been playing for peanut’s is like a punch in the face compared to the endless greed that has been permitted to develop at Collingwood.

Harrysz 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:24 am

Watt Price Tully, I love the clip.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: