Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

A defining cultural moment

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:04 am
Post subject: A defining cultural momentReply with quote

Graham Wright should ring Ryan Vague (DeGoey's Manager) and say "is that your final position"? If so, tell your client to explore his alternative club needs to the fullest with our blessing. Then call Brodie Grundy and apologise, but say we shall honour your contract in full with zero changes now or later. Brodie negotiated in good faith at the time a sizeable deal that reflected his market value. He has been a solid citizen, a known achiever and despite the prevailing narrative, had an excellent 2021 averaging more ranking points per game than Max Gawn.

For too many years, the Pies have allowed personalities, greed or behaviour to exceed the greater team cause. Examples:

* Phil Carman
* Rene Kink
* Heath Shaw
* Graham Teasdale
* Geoff Raines
* Mike Richardson
* Peter Moore
* Philip Walsh
* Glenn McLean
* Barry Mitchell
* Travis Cloke
* Daniel Wells
* Jaidyn Stephenson

Ask yourself Pies fans one question: "are you jealous of Geelong or the Swans culture"? Yes or no? I am. Cultural change is all-encompassing and with a fresh coach and board at the helm, a Preliminary Final finish plus finally becoming a destination club, it's at this moment, the Board need to support our coach's team first mantra and not be beguiled by a selfish Jordan DeGoey.

What Jordan fails to realise is that "he controls himself" and any failures to achieve shall be self-inflicted. Failing to appreciate this only serves to highlight how poorly he is being advised or how lacking in IQ he is. So Jeff Browne, this is your moment to shine. Don't stuff it up!

Last edited by inxs88 on Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harrysz 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:49 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not fair to include Geoff Raines in this list. He signed a new contract with the club and then two weeks later he was asked to take a 10% pay cut. This was after refusing a more lucrative offer from another club.

Otherwise I fully agree with the sentiments expressed in this post.
The General Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:52 am

100% agree.

We need to negotiate with other free agents during this week. We cannot do that if he cannot decide whether to sign or not.

He has been given multiple chances, is offered a long term contract and is now holding out due to some clauses he doesn't like. That's bad behaviour right there.

Grundy, although not AA output for the last couple of years, is a quality person.
Deja Vu 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:10 am

JDG is not being greedy though. Happy to stay for less from all reports
inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:36 am

"Happy to stay less from all reports?" Gee that's a development I am yet to see. All reports suggest he wanted more $$$, longer term and the only thing less were the clauses"!
Haff Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:41 am

Agree. Grundy > JDG any day of the week.
Magpie Russ Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:48 am

Peter Moore (has since said he regretted going for more money)
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:49 am

That's a very good post inxs.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:38 pm

Magpie Russ wrote:
Peter Moore (has since said he regretted going for more money)

Absolutely. He was the poster child for this post. We can add him in. He held meetings at his home in 1982 to get rid of Hafey all whilst negotiating to leave the Pies.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:05 pm

Deja Vu wrote:
JDG is not being greedy though. Happy to stay for less from all reports

Correct weight.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:28 pm

^ JDG will sign I have NO doubt, he just wants some clarification on this behaviour stuff. The way he played in the Finals, and the enthusiasm he got, his happy body language, with his team mates, tells me he really wants to stay a Magpie.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Deja Vu 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:36 pm

I have no inside information but everything that I have read suggests JDG is happy to stay for $800K and the offer from the Saints is closer to $1M.

He wants to stay. For less money. That’s not greed.

Losing him now is stupidity. Utter stupidity from a list management perspective. The standard player contract addresses code of conduct etc. There is no need to have anything more onerous - if he screws up again, and it’s that bad, the contract can be torn up (what happened in Bali did not warrant that BTW)

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:46 pm

You've explained it perfectly DjV.

This whole situation, like the Treloar fiasco, is tantamount to incompetence by our footy department. Completely avoidable.
Deja Vu 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:59 pm

It’s potentially much worse than the Treloar fiasco. That was a salary cap issue. While that was poor management, sacrificing Treloar was a calculated risk to free up space to allow us to sign our pending free agents. Moore signed up which was great. But to lose DeGoey now, not because of money but because you want to throw additional and unnecessary clauses in to his contract, is effectively an act of self sabotage.

We ultimately got Lipinski because we traded Treloar. We also got the required cap space to keep our desired players.

I understand the Grundy trade. I get that having $5M tied up in a ruckman over the next 5 years is just not shrewd list management.

But losing a match winner, when we are short on them, to free agency, is just nonsense. And to everyone who says he doesn’t do it enough, I don’t disagree. But he still does it more than anyone else on our list. Goalkicking midfielders that can extract the ball from congestion and go forward and kick goals - yeah they’re readily available…

Deja Vu 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:07 pm

BTW, have a read of what the Players Association thinks about the contract clauses:

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/09/27/that-is-the-ultimate-edmund-reveals-specifics-of-catch-all-de-goey-contract/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4   

Jump to: