Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

List Management / Salary Cap

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
magpieazza 

magpieazza

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:59 pm
Post subject: Our salary capReply with quote

Just looking through our list I counted about 20 players who would be on basic salaries.
They are first second and third year players, so Im wondering if our salary cap really is that tight.
I reckon we could squeeze in Mitchell surely on top of the other in comings.

Surely Grundys wages plus a couple others wouldnt disrupt our salary cap that much..???

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:18 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it’s more you only have room for a couple of big marquee players, money reserved for true A grade match winners.

Getting rid of Grundy whilst we still can frees up that money to chase a genuine a grade match winner when they become available.

It’s why false claims and very deliberate attempts to claim that McStay is replacing Grundy in the cap are just bullshit made up by people upset their hero is getting the ass.

I suspect unless we secure a Mitchell or someone unexpected this year, we’ll have plenty of cap space next year to go on the hunt.
magpieazza 

magpieazza

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:41 pm

People forget also that its not just McStay for Grundy, we are getting a top pick for Grundy depending on how much we pay Grundys wages.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:05 pm

eddiesmith wrote:
I suspect unless we secure a Mitchell or someone unexpected this year, we’ll have plenty of cap space next year to go on the hunt.

https://youtu.be/f5Cks2xYiPs?t=2

Harrysz 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:09 am
Post subject: What is Collingwood up to?Reply with quote

After the 2018 Grand Final, the Collingwood list managers decided that this was a team which was 5 points away from a Premiership. There wasn’t a lot which had to be added to the team to clinch a flag. One good player could do it. Dayne Beams had just won the Brisbane Lions B&F so he seemed like an ideal choice. Collingwood traded away 2 first round picks and Beams played a handfull of games and then retired with depression. In a litany of bad/unfortunate list management decisions made in the last 20 years this was the worst.

After Collingwood beat Carlton by a point clinching a top 4 spot, despite the exciting win Craig McRae in his after game press conference referred to Collingwood’s poor statistics and particularly in clearances. He said that this was “not sustainable”. Like in 2018, it would have been easy to say that this team was one point away from being in a Grand Final and was close to being a premiership team. But McRae is under no illusions. The forward line is at least one tall forward short. Miocek is a “good ordinary footballer” but he needs help. Jamie Elliott is a very good footballer but he’s not a key position player. Similarly the defence is at least one tall player short. Darcy Moore is the only tall defender. The backline has some good running players but there is no real answer to teams with one or two power forwards. The midfield is at least one midfielder short. De Goey is the only real star. Of course, Pendlebury is high quality but he has to alternate between defence and on-ball.

So, what is Collingwood up to? Getting rid of Grundy is no “salary cap dump”. If they get all of the players that they’re targeting then they won’t save any salary cap space. They may even be behind. But McStay will certainly help out Miocek on the forward line, and Bobby Hill will add some X factor. Billy Frampton (I don’t know much about him) will add some height in the backline. Mitchell(if they can get him) will improve our clearances and will help De Goey and Adams.

Yes Grundy will be a loss. These calls are always risky and nothing is guaranteed, but you can’t blame Wright and the others for trying to improve the team overall.
burnsy17 Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:18 am

If we lose Grundy and Henry, but gain McStay, Hill, Frampton, Mitchell & Fiorini then we are clearly in a better position than what we were in 2022.
slangman 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:22 am

Good summary.
Wright has said that the list was not balanced and it’s obvious that rectifying that has been the priority. Unfortunately Grundy has been the collateral damage to achieving this re-balancing.

This list realignment is highlighting the incompetence of the previous list management team.

thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:34 am

^
How incompetent were they if the list made the 2018 GF and the 2019 PF?
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:36 am

All of that. It’s not ideal. We’d love to keep Grundy but have to keep below the salary cap and we have to prioritize our needs. What we shouldn’t do is disrespect Grundy if he ends up at another club. Like Treloar he’s been a wonderful player for us. I wish him all the best wherever he finishes up.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:38 am

burnsy17 wrote:
If we lose Grundy and Henry, but gain McStay, Hill, Frampton, Mitchell & Fiorini then we are clearly in a better position than what we were in 2022.

I hope you are right mate. However, I don't think it's as clear as that. Only time will tell.
Haff Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:44 am

This is almost word for word my take on previous threads.
As I understand it, Grundy going doesn’t impact Frampton, McStay and Hill. Assuming Frampton is in the bag then it’s a question of addressing our midfield and assuming Mitchell is the right player, he’s more important to the side than a 20% improvement on our number one ruck. Is a no brainier.

slangman 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:05 am

thesoretoothsayer wrote:
^

We had two good years out of 10 and then had the salary cap disaster
of 2020.

Haff Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:07 am

slangman wrote:
thesoretoothsayer wrote:
^

We had two good years out of 10 and then had the salary cap disaster
of 2020.

Its hard to gauge really. Disaster now becuase we didnt with the flag.
2019 we were not really in it but i thought that first game against the dogs in 2020 we were clinical and looked every bit a contender.
Then the hub etc just killed us and the wheels fell off.

Had we on the flag, or the pandemic didnt happen and we had a real crack in 2020, it would be well worth it now even if we had the same fire sale and set backs.

As it stands, nope, fail and we have to pick up the pieces.

LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:24 am

RudeBoy wrote:
burnsy17 wrote:

I hope you are right mate. However, I don't think it's as clear as that. Only time will tell.

Maybe like Liverpool Rudey, trying to spread the money as opposed to going all in on superstars?
Thought we'd roll them at Highbury... Crying or Very sad

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:53 am

They’re simply realigning a list that is horribly out of balance and in order to do that quickly, something had to give.
By the end of this trade period, we will have added size, depth, speed, forward pressure, experience and quite possibly leadership into the 2022 group. We’re not adding quality but you don’t solve all your problems during one off season. The clubs decision comes largely at the expense of the ( one time ) best ruckman in the comp. How people choose to view that trade off is entirely up to the individual but Collingwood still winning without Grundy ultimately made it an easier decision to move him on. Had he either been on less money and / or we couldn’t win without him, Grundy wouldn’t be in trade conversations.
We also shouldn’t make judgement too early either ( 😂 ) Objectively, we will need a couple years to view the output of those who have come in versus the impact Grundy has elsewhere. We may also yet land the cherry on top in 12 months time and should that occur, it will also has been largely on the back of a decision that was made 12 months earlier.
I remain open minded but I know one thing, even IF Grundy returned to his career best form at Collingwood, it would all stand for very little should we incur a few key injuries to our current core group.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: