Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

VFL Round 11

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 4:42 pm
Post subject: VFL Round 11Reply with quote

Pies vs Demons

Sunday 9 June @ 2.05pm. Venue Casey Fields.
Double header with the VFLW @ 11.05am.

Match centre:

https://www.afl.com.au/vfl/matches/6436

Telecast via VFL website & app.

Ladder: Pies 16th (2 wins, 7 losses, 84.1%) Demons 18th (2 wins, 7 losses, 83.2%)

The Black and White Lion 

The Black and White Lion

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 7:42 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

The dees are below us on the VFL ladder for the first time ever in my memory and yet we’re playing them at Casey. I would love it if we can be competitive and if someone can reach our team how to play into the wind. Time for the VFL pies to stop the rot and bag an away win at Casey
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2024 9:49 am

Undoubtedly, the Dees VFL season is in as a parlous state as our own, both on 2W and 7L.
Is anyone heading to the game on Sunday? I'd like their view on Iliro Smit (does he come straight into the VFL program), LQ, Jaykob Ryan and TJ's impact. e.g. how they move against their opponent, read the play and whether they have that natural football nous.

Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2024 6:00 pm

Smit makes his VFL debut.
Quaynor retains hs spot. No TJ, assume he makes way for Eyre.
Allan in the team - he only played the 1st half last week.

McInnes back in after concussion, Parker & Johnson back to the VFL
Eyre will play his 1st game in the VFL.

Team selection:

B: H. Flynn 71, J. Ryan 24, C. MacDonald 74
HB: C. Lane 48, R. McInnes 26, H. DeMattia 13
C: H. Kennedy 53, E. Allan 16, L. Quaynor 78
HF: L. Purcell 65, P. Farrant 68, B. Crocker 47
F: S. Glover 50, A. Johnson 40, J. Eyre 34
R: J. Tomasiello 61, R. Sparkes 51, I. Smit 20

INT: K. Schreiber 52, W. Parker 45, T. Wilson 56, Y. Ashwin 77, H. Mahoney 72

EMG: J. Longmire 57, J. Mathey 58, C. Mulvogue 66, R. Penny 62, A. Seivers 59, J. Hartman 70

IN: Y. Ashwin, J. Eyre A. Johnson, R. McInnes, W. Parker, I. Smit
OUT: T. Jiath, N. Krueger (AFL), B. Silvagni (shoulder), J. Longmire, J. Mathey, C. Mulvogue

NEW: Iliro Smit, 19, 198cm, Montrose/Eastern Ranges

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 3:14 pm

Nearly half-time:
Casey 8.7.55
Collingwood 4.1.25

Per the stats sheet, at least, McInnes, Ryan, DeMattia, Allan, Parker, Johnson, Smit and Eyre are all playing. Not sure who's getting held over for tomorrow but you'd think someone will be benched at half time just in case.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 3:23 pm

Watching the game, Eyre is playing deep forward, Ash seems to be high half forward, getting up the ground a bit, Reef playing forward and midfield.

I like the look of Smit. Big strong boy, holds his ground well, got a few taps so far off limited minutes, dropped a couple of marks, quite happy to throw himself in at ground level to tackle.

We're getting enough of the ball, they're just better at getting it forward.

The Black and White Lion 

The Black and White Lion

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 3:29 pm

crook as a dog so watching the VFL livestream. Wish I wasn't watching. Yes it's one of those games where the pies exert all their efforts to make the simple things look difficult and Casey just pile on the goals easy as.

Too many players out of position and not supporting each other. Poor handballs to stationary players in traffic. Few kicks to advantage forward of the wing. Pies getting lots of the ball but generally give it back just as regularly between wing and half forward helping Casey to many easy goals

Josh Eyre playing forward. He shouldn't be. Far better last year and the preseason down back. Can't work out why he's playing forward when Melbourne has 3 tall forwards and we have 1 medium tall defender in Glover.

Sam Glover playing a blinder in defense. Vying for our best on ground with
Ryan Sparkes who's busy when the balls is about and kicked a beautiful snap goal in the second out of nothing.

Iliro Smit looks ok, maybe a bit clumsy at senior level. Not expecting much this year. He's going to take a while. He's not a back up AFL ruck this year. Don't understand the pies MSD lack of selection for needs.

AJ has taken a couple of marks. Nowhere near goal even though he's playing FF

Parker a few good moments

Ryan a nice goal after a 50m penalty for a head tap after a strong mark on the wing. Struggling in general play otherwise

Demattia still struggling

Allen struggling. So many fumbles

lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 3:32 pm

David wrote:
Nearly half-time:
Casey 8.7.55
Collingwood 4.1.25

Per the stats sheet, at least, McInnes, Ryan, DeMattia, Allan, Parker, Johnson, Smit and Eyre are all playing. Not sure who's getting held over for tomorrow but you'd think someone will be benched at half time just in case.

I think it’s TJ who will be the spare in case he is needed tomorrow.

lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 3:45 pm

The Black and White Lion wrote:
crook as a dog so watching the VFL livestream.
Don't understand the pies MSD lack of selection for needs.
Demattia still struggling
Allen struggling. So many fumbles

Hope you get better soon mate.
I do think the pies used the MSD for selection of needs because they certainly needed another tall considering our current injuries to talls and KPP’s.
Demattia and Allen fumbling is a huge concern and answers my question as to why especially Demattia was not selected by other clubs before our pick. Maybe they knew better but these kids have a long way to go and eventually we could be proven as being visionaries 😅

The Black and White Lion 

The Black and White Lion

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 4:00 pm

Hey thanks lazza, yeah I understand the need for a ruck but surely we needed a mature one that could support the AFL side this year. I wish the kid Smit well but it's clearly going to take a while. He's had a few good contests though.

Seems like we played our best footy in the first half too. Shocking errors and lack of competitiveness in the contest.

I saw McInnes start in the middle a few times, at least that's getting him on the ball.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 4:19 pm

On Eyre, maybe they're trying to ease him back in playing deep forward or maybe they're trying to turn him into a KPF. I believe he was originally drafted to Essendon as a KPF and we played him back in the VFL. Whatever the plan is he seriously needs to get on the peptides and hit the gym.

I reckon Smit could play AFL if needed in a pinch this season. He's a much stronger body thn Steene, but he was clearly selected with an eye to the future, not this season. I'm not saying he's ready for AFL yet, not by a long way, but if we needed a tall he's physically up for it.

think better 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 4:53 pm

Smit was pretty good I thought. Some good ruck work and 6 tackles. Likes to be in the game - fairly hard at it by the looks of it.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 5:06 pm

From what I saw, we simply couldn’t win a stoppage or centre clearance. The number of times we won the ball back at half back as our first possession, was frustrating to say the least. I get it because not only are all our AFL mids missing but both Long and Carmichael are out also. Eyre was on managed minutes, so it’s just a matter of tempo and preparing the body for the battering that’s coming. McInnes played up the ground more out of necessity than anything else.
DeMattia is only 18 and playing against men, he also missed a large chunk of the first half of the season. I wouldn’t be to hasty to form opinions off such a micro sample size to date.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 5:19 pm

^

DeMattia seems to have a really good footy brain to go with some good skills. A lot to work with there.

Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 6:08 pm

Final score:

Casey 18.14.122 defeated Pies 11.4.70

Goals: Mahoney, Lane, Farrant 2, Wilson, Sparkes, Ryan, DeMattia, Johnson
Top disposals; Glover 30, Lane 28, Sparkes & DeMattia 22
AF points: Glover 116, Sparkes, 112, Lane 106

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: